Author Topic: PBI Gold  (Read 14778 times)

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
PBI Gold
« on: June 28, 2006, 04:23:17 PM »
i know this topic is been cover all over but just a question..

how long has it taken for people to get there order of PBI gold.
by station/group was fitted for it back in march and still no sign of it. :?
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

rescue5271

Re: PBI Gold
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 04:26:45 PM »
Our guys waited about 2 months,follow it up may have got lost or its sitting in the region office...

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 05:36:29 PM »
Hi there

We were measure up for PBI in late March - but still waiting.

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 06:09:05 PM »
We were measure up back then sometime and have only seen three sets turn up.

Apparently there is 3 despatch runs or something.  Its on the slow boat from china
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 06:21:50 PM »
There is a run of gear being made in Australia now......

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 07:16:45 PM »
So much for the end of June :-)
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 07:59:59 PM »
had my set for CFS a few months ago..

Offline The Assistant

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 08:02:49 PM »
Just because you were measured up for it was no guarentee that you were going to get it, the only reason everybody was measured was
1. So that your information could be placed on a central database.
2. So that when your current set of level 3 ppe with liner expired that you would then become applicable to get a set of PBI Gold.
The inital standard said that PBI Gold was to be used where BA was to be worn mainly at structure fires for use in offensive attacks.
The budget allocation set aside for the purchase of PBI Gold was no where near enough to supply every BA operator in the State.
When the liner is removed from PBI Gold it does not meet the cuurent standard for wildfire protection, where as when you remove your liner from a level 3 Nomex jacket it does meet the stated requirements for wildfire protection.
Plus why would brigades and groups in thier right mind purchase sets of PBI Gold in excess on $1000 a set while you still have a workable set of Level 3 Nomex?????
"Don't Double Dip the Spoon"

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 08:16:20 PM »
interesting reply above. we were told that evey BA operator was to be fitted out with PBI with allsets funde by the state gov. so this was a crock of scheiße or what then?

Offline The Assistant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 08:31:28 PM »
interesting fact: the funds allocated by the state govt. had already been set aside for the initial purchase of PBI Gold, A small election campaign promise that had already been promised prior.

ltdan

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 08:55:05 PM »
Good one "Assistant" you are looking at the big picture aren't you.

Facts about PBI:
1.  That's right you go on a database, and when you are required to get the gear you can. e,g, when your Level 3 is due for replacement or if you do not have Level 3 PPE.

2.  Why would you buy PBI gold when you have Nomex which meets the standard if you already have.  Smart brigades,groups and reigon will see that and will work accordingly.  And not just buy it cos other services, brigades, groups and regions have it.

3.  PBI Gold is not as user friendly as Level 3 Nomex.

4.  "The Assistant" is correct if you calculate how many CABA operators are in the service, and how many require it their would not be enough money for every caba operator.

This is what I understand and my interpretation about PBI Gold from media relases, people involved in the contract of purchase  of PBI Gold, and from professional personnel from the service which would know.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 09:02:32 PM »
I think that you will find that the budget allocation was indeed enough to outfit all BA operators in PBI there are not as many operators as you think.

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 09:05:35 PM »
there was about 1400 or there abouts at last count, not a real lot when it comes down to it. About 1.5 mill allocated so that just about works out @ $1000 per set?

ltdan

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 09:08:14 PM »
give you an example why my figures are close so far this year the CABA project has trained approx 61 new operators

strikeathird

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 09:18:00 PM »
Have you ever worn PBI  Assistant or LtDan  ??

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 10:27:53 PM »
it sure sounds as though they have...
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Toast

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 02:09:11 AM »
I'm wondering what the "expiration date" on the old Nomex is. My hand me down set, thats full of holes loose stitching is approaching the 8 year mark. Ive heard talk of the lifetime being only 5. Makes it hard being caught out with breaking Nomex, when you can't buy lvl3 standard Nomex anymore, yet we aren't seeing the PBI.

I think ill stitch a hessian bag liner into some old Khaki Overalls for the time being...

rescue5271

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 06:29:12 AM »
Nomex has a life in the field of 5 years,hand me downs no way that is wrong you should have new gear not hand me downs that is a OHSW problem....

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 07:50:05 AM »
I was under the impression the Level 3 Nomex no longer meets the standard for Structural fire fighting... hence the change to PBI???

If my above statement is correct, then it shows that those groups that have purchased it have a strong commitment to protecting thier firefighters. (would it not?)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:00:59 AM by Mike »

strikeathird

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 07:54:20 AM »
Well anyone who says " Why would you want PBI if you have a set of L3 nomex"  clearly either has no idea as to the benifits of PBI, or has never worn / done any research on PBI and how it outdoes Nomex on many, many levels when it comes to structural fire fighting...

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 11:24:25 AM »
I was under the impression the Level 3 Nomex no longer meets the standard for Structural fire fighting... hence the change to PBI???

It's not that it doesn't meet the standard, it's that it just hasn't been tested against the standard.

Toast

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 12:09:32 PM »
Nomex has a life in the field of 5 years,hand me downs no way that is wrong you should have new gear not hand me downs that is a OHSW problem....

Hmm, as someone who only joined in the rather recent past, having to buy my own boots(eg: not having brigade supplied boots for over a year) and having hand me down everything except gloves, you make an interesting point.

Offline The Assistant

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 12:25:06 PM »
Nomex only has a field life of 5 years if worn every day during those five years, and I hope as a volunteer firey you are not wearing yours everyday.

In answer to the question have I worn PBI Gold on numerous occasions, but no I don't have a set yet because my level 3 nomex is still in good condition and I see no need to waste money buying PBI Gold until my Nomex wears out.

In relation to OHSW in regards to hand me downs you can easily wash PPE which can be handed down to other people to use, but boots and gloves should be thrown away or taken by the person when they leave.

I am fully aware of the benefits of PBI Gold I am not an idiot, what I meant and I thought it was pretty eay to understand was why would your brigade or group buy you a set of PBI Gold when you have a workable set of NOMEX.

$1000 a set was a bit an approximation it actually costs more than that per set.

Strikeathird I think you are reading more into this than was actually intended and I don't see you offering up any answers to peoples questions.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 12:37:45 PM »

It's not that it doesn't meet the standard, it's that it just hasn't been tested against the standard.

Interesting.... Would be interested to hear if others have been told the same as yourself Mengcfs. Seems strange that something so popular wouldnt be tested againt the new standards.

Offline Broadside

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 12:46:45 PM »
My understanding was that the nomex material meets the standard but the construction for the garmet and liners do not.