Author Topic: MFS Take Over  (Read 25995 times)

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: MFS Take Over
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2006, 01:12:28 PM »
it was merely a suggestion. Besides we've moved on from that anyway.
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Toast

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2006, 01:38:35 PM »
I still prefer our suggestion for Stiring station, that it be built underground, entered by a brass pole in the middle of the local park. When we need to drive appliances out, the roundabout in stirling opens up and the appliances are on a platform that raises them up to road level... Mind you, it sounds cheaper than the freeeway setup  :wink:

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2006, 01:41:07 PM »
I still prefer our suggestion for Stiring station, that it be built underground, entered by a brass pole in the middle of the local park. When we need to drive appliances out, the roundabout in stirling opens up and the appliances are on a platform that raises them up to road level... Mind you, it sounds cheaper than the freeeway setupĀ  :wink:

Sounds like a scene from Thunderbirds....sure no one is pulling the strings on the puppets ??? :evil:
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2006, 03:22:40 PM »
I still prefer our suggestion for Stiring station, that it be built underground, entered by a brass pole in the middle of the local park. When we need to drive appliances out, the roundabout in stirling opens up and the appliances are on a platform that raises them up to road level... Mind you, it sounds cheaper than the freeeway setupĀ  :wink:

by the way, to access the brass pole, you need to undo the musical lock and get your eyes scanned.

Toast

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2006, 04:22:34 PM »
I still prefer our suggestion for Stiring station, that it be built underground, entered by a brass pole in the middle of the local park. When we need to drive appliances out, the roundabout in stirling opens up and the appliances are on a platform that raises them up to road level... Mind you, it sounds cheaper than the freeeway setup  :wink:

Sounds like a scene from Thunderbirds....sure no one is pulling the strings on the puppets ??? :evil:

[Insert witty comments about us all being puppets of CFS corporate]

Manuel

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2006, 04:30:10 PM »
a freeway in south Australia, means a fast road with no stoppages, if there was boom gates in place it would turn it into a highway, and would slow the whole speed limit to 100. i don't like this idea at all, and if it was just off an exit like bridgewater it would not take longer to get anywhere.

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2006, 10:49:40 AM »
ok everyone, the boom gates are gone! happy? :oops: :-D

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2006, 12:31:03 PM »
Overjoyed mate, overjoyed... :D

pumprescue

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2006, 11:44:09 AM »
MFS will have a lot more paid/retained stations n the future so the boys will have to learn to hold hands. With day shifts being pushed in most retained stations it will happen in the hills as well.MFS would not get CFS to to COQ each time they have an out of area call, they will get MFS to step up...this is why they will have a station at bridgy and mt barker.

I am not sure what truck you are driving but it is not 20 minutes from stirling to mt barker in a truck....

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2006, 12:01:10 PM »
I wouldnt get too carried away about these things you mentioned happenning in a hurry. The first of the day staffed stations (Mt Gambier) is starting next year and I am sure that will be looked at closely for a while before it is introduced into other retained stations. Even then there will only be a few in the state where this will be justified. As I have said before the land that has been looked/purchased in other locations not serviced by MFS is only a plan for the future.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2006, 02:31:53 PM »
Where does 8 minute  arrival to a house fire come from? When you are out in the sticks some houses are 30 mins away from the closes fire brigade.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2006, 03:11:33 PM »
Get used to having a paid fire service be it MFS/CFS or a SAFS cos eventually know one will want to volunteer there time and each town will have its own truck and paid crew.

Expensive but do you see an alternitive?
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

pumprescue

« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2006, 03:20:34 PM »
How many urban stations do you see in the sticks....

8 minutes is the national standard for arrival at an incident for a paid, retained or urban volunteer crew...

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2006, 03:27:23 PM »
I have to disagree Camo. You cannot justify having a paid service everywhere, even SAAS dont do that and look at what happened there in the 80`s. There will always be people around to volunteer there services, you just have to harness them and keep them.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2006, 05:42:34 PM »
the way i see it....maybe they wont be paid right across the state but most if not all rural brigades will eventually close and town brigades will have to cover the area they did in the past.

With prices getting higher in everything, social restraints and no one being able to leave work anymore im sorry but i really think is what is going to happen.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

rescue5271

« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2006, 07:10:51 AM »
I think you will find in some towns  where there is cfs/ses/mfs/that there will only be one service and from what I did hear if they dont have to pay the members that will be the way to go....Lets face it in some areas there is no need for MFS,look at wallaroo is there a need for MFS there??  as for putting stirling underground will that mean quick to the fire pole......

pumprescue

« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2006, 09:59:52 AM »
SAFECOM.......

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2006, 01:14:59 PM »
I don't believe ghost stories pumprescue... :P

rescue5271

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2006, 08:47:47 PM »
There will always be a volunteer service as long as people give there time for free but also if you remove some of the bull##** and politics in the service things will be fine....if there is a paid service it will be to help volunteers and you would be surprised how good a paid and vol station works well....

Offline F.B.R.T

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2006, 09:12:40 PM »
This is one subject that will always be discussed heavily!

I personally think that what will happen eventually, is that a lot of the smaller MFS stations with small callout numbers will close and will revert to CFS.

The larger stations with more callouts will change to MFS and start at maybe retained or go straight to full time depending on call numbers etc.

Also, I think it would only be fair if this occurred, for crews to be selected from existing members of the particular brigades that are being changed over.

One reason I think it will happen like this is, (like already pointed out by others in this thread) is that the government (and unions) have said that there will only be one paid Fire Service in the state of S.A.

Like it or not, no one here makes the rules, so we will have to make the most of it when it happens!

There still is a possibility of one Fire Service, like what occurs in Tasmania, but I don't see them changing to this setup now seeing that both Fire Services are well established in S.A. and both have individual proud traditions that the government will not like to break!
(I believe that Tasmanian Fire Service has been all one service since day one - could be wrong)

Anyhow, could be interesting times..........
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Toast

« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2006, 09:28:28 PM »
I think the issues with selecting crew from the existing brigade (if you mean the CFS brigades that go MFS) is that no one in our brigade would pass the fitness test. The few people who would pass are the one or two who are applying for the MFS and a couple more health consious members.

Offline F.B.R.T

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2006, 11:24:08 PM »
Depending on if you were applying for Retained or Fulltime positions there are different levels.

Fulltime positions at this stage have the higher level of fitness required, but if you are really keen on the job, most people could achieve this with training and persistence.

The retained level is lower, with most people with a reasonable level of fitness being able to achieve this easily.

However, who knows how this may change in the future!
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2006, 12:16:20 AM »
Toast: People can always get fit if the MFS is going to move in, it won't happen over night... ;)

Toast

« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2006, 12:25:14 AM »
I guess it really only means that the four of us need to get fit  :wink:

pumprescue

« Reply #99 on: July 31, 2006, 07:40:05 PM »
Any news on who got in down at the Mount mate...

How did you go Senior 70

anything