Author Topic: CFS Station numbers  (Read 7758 times)

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
CFS Station numbers
« on: February 16, 2005, 01:37:21 PM »
I have been looking at a few CFS web sites and the trend is to put the MFS station numbers eg Station XX.
What is your opinion on this for CFS brigades ?
1) Good idea
2) MFS wanna bees
3) Stay with brigade name :?:

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CFS Station numbers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 02:15:50 PM »
For Urban fringe and brigades with EMA responsibilities in MFS country towns it seems fine to use the station number. Most radio comms with SAMFS involves station number and appliance number. For me this has never been a status thing, rather an operational requirement.

Good times

CFS Station numbers
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 02:52:47 PM »
It would be difficult in CFS due to the vast number of stations, but it could be done, but could you imagine the hassle trying to get people to use them!!

With EMA I think its important, lets MFS know whats coming, and they really get confused when 2 x 24's from the same station go mobile!!

corocfs

CFS Station numbers
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 03:16:26 PM »
all stations have station numbers. its a part of there name, so why not use it?
for example, "coromandel valley CFS, station 49"

do you mean brigades only using numbers ?

Offline MCFSFF

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
CFS Station numbers
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 07:10:16 PM »
Ok I will be honest I don't get it!
Surely MEADOWS 24 and MEADOWS 24P is pretty self explanatory...Ok if we had two 24 it would be a bit different ... But you have ALFA and BETA don't you?

How is STATION XX 24p or MEADOWS STATION XX 24 any better??

Have you listen to thebraves.com ? when those guys go out its all numbers like........" ladder 34 10:19 10:05 23:56" I cant see that ever happening in a service like ours where you don't know who is going to ride on truck and their rank then have them remember all the codes if there a new FF like myself.

Having said that on jobs like the recent Mount Osmond fire something that shortens radio communication time and therefore makes more space would be good!

Please explain if I am missing the whole point on station numbers

Thanks

corocfs

CFS Station numbers
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 10:28:43 PM »
hmmm well every station has its own number for example; coromandel valley = 49 and blackwood = 47....

this is MY understanding of the number system..

MFS: RESPOND VEHICLE ACCIDENT, ACKLANDS HILL RD, COROMANDEL EAST, 4924 4712 *CFSRES

these numbers are at the end of a message on your pager (if you are responded by MFS) and identify which stations and what typew of appliance from each station is required for a turn-out.

Coro has two '24 type'  appliances (a 24 and 24P) therefore for any response involving coro the message will read with a "4924" the last two digits being the vehicle type.

blackwood has a rescue and a 24, therfore for a vehicle accident the message will end with a "4712" indicating that blackwood (stn 47) should turn out there rescue (12), however if blackwood was called to a grassfire the message would involve the code "4724" indicating they must turn out there 24

i hope that made sense...

regarding the statement that some stations are just calling themselves by there station number.. i dont believe ive heard of that anywhere, although my website (coro valley) does have station 49 in the sidebar rather than the full proper name (as an abbreviation), we definitely call ourselves coromandfel valley (altho over the radio it is abbreviated to "coro").

Good times

CFS Station numbers
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 10:48:28 PM »
The current numering from MFS doesn't mean much, to be accurate we need to take the first number eg 49, then add the type of appliance,      eg 1 = pumper
8= grass fire appliance
9= rescue

So Coro 24P would be 491
Coro 24 would be 498

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CFS Station numbers
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 07:28:01 AM »
I'm not sure about some of the brigades we are discussing but EMA brigades have exactly the numbering you describe and the system does have meaning.

Eg Athelstone station = 94 and it's 24p has 19 designation meaning Pump-Rescue, when communicating with SAMFS they know where it's from and what the capabilities are.

Good times

CFS Station numbers
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 01:43:43 PM »
Not quite correct, the only reason they added an extra number is because they gave every CFS brigade a 4 digit code for the computer system, I have spoken to SAMFS comms and they said the last 2 digits for CFS mean nothing, most of the EMA numbers at the start eg 94 still mean something for EMA but in most other area's its just a zone number, so its all up a creek, only the first 2 digits mean something.

corocfs

CFS Station numbers
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 04:14:02 PM »
so basically mets have given cfs stations that dont do EMA, a code that means nothing other than station ID?

Good times

CFS Station numbers
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 05:00:10 PM »
Before GRN paging came in, all EMA brigades had a staion number and then used the appropriate appliance code, eg 491 = Coro 24P

Then when GRN came in they put zones in to split up brigade areas, so if they put in say Acklands Hill rd, Coromandel Valley it would come up as zone 49## (can't remember your exact number) they then hit enter and it tells them what should be sent in numbers and they hit send and off it goes, they oftem have no idea who you are, just your number. I have sometimes rung in and a new guy has answered, and you say your brigade name and they go "who?" then say your code and they go, "oh, thanks"

The confusion lies where they took the old EMA station numbers and added some numbers onto the end, because they were already there, then with some of these country brigades they just made up random numbers, they mean nothing in regards to station numbers and appliance types. Eg 2919 is just coincidence, before GRN Burnside were 299, then you look at Seaford who are 8334, before GRN they were 831.

See what I mean, if not PM me and I will try to make it clearer,

FWUUUU, I need a beer after that!!!

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CFS Station numbers
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2005, 05:38:11 PM »
Thanks Good Times  :D

Certainly cleared up my confusion  :lol:  I always thought the numbers following the station number where appliance type. Clearly that has changed.

corocfs

CFS Station numbers
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2005, 06:16:32 PM »
yep.. that has cleared that up. it was just coincidence that ours was '24' after 49, and we were responding a '24', LOL..  :lol:

Good times

CFS Station numbers
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2005, 08:36:27 PM »
Yep just a whole lot of coincidence, if you ever see some of these off air decoders that some scanner jocks have (no not me) you will see some interesting numbers!!

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
CFS Station numbers
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2005, 07:28:22 AM »
I believe that with the zoning system you cannot have two adjacent brigades with the same last two digits in the system, otherwise the computer can't handle dual response of CFS brigades. This is why Seaford are in the system as 8334 even though they don't have a 34 appliance.

Previously all EMA brigades (except rescue trucks) were just in the system as a 1 pump - eg 811 was Morphett Vale, 801 was Happy Valley.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
CFS Station numbers
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2005, 10:53:43 PM »
Ok..... Its all well and good for the Mets to use a numbering system.... but at the same time they dont have as many stations to account for.

At least with the current system you know who your dealing with, without having to think about it. Consider all the appliances you could be dealing with at a large incident and trying to decipher who your talking to....

Its a practice that could be learnt, but the present system is simple, self explainatory, and works for the majority.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CFS Station numbers
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2005, 10:33:43 PM »
All CFS Brigades need a number (or at least their trucks do) so that in the event of a change of quarters to Mets area, we can go through their comms (as of SOP) and they don't have to do any more work... There is no other reason to have them... (as far as I can see)

Does anyone have a list of what numbers go to which brigades?

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
CFS Station numbers
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 07:17:03 AM »
Why should the CFS change it's procedures to please the MFS when we're doing them a favour with Change of Quarter? I don't mind doing it, but come's down to my previous agruments about two fire services in one state with two different SOPS. Maybe a happy medium should be reached with such issue of appliance call signs, comms procedures, etc.
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
CFS Station numbers
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2005, 04:53:09 PM »
This is a good start but there is still many more.

Number      Station

29 Burnside
46 Eden Hills
47 Blackwood
48 Belair
49 Corromandel Valley
57 Cherry Gardens
74 Norton Summit
80 Happy Valley
81 Morphett Vale
83 Seaford
88 Bridgewater
90 Stirling
91 Salisbury
92 Dalkeith
94 Athelstone
95 Tea Tree Gully
96 Virginia
97 One Tree Hill
114 Clarendon
162 Aldinga Beach
163 Mclaren Vale
222 Two Wells

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CFS Station numbers
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 01:48:27 PM »
Quote from: JamesGar
Why should the CFS change it's procedures to please the MFS when we're doing them a favour with Change of Quarter? I don't mind doing it, but come's down to my previous agruments about two fire services in one state with two different SOPS. Maybe a happy medium should be reached with such issue of appliance call signs, comms procedures, etc.

MFS have to do the same for us when they come into our area... it goes both ways...
But I agree, there should be a standard....

strikeathird

CFS Station numbers
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 04:31:26 PM »
Exactly, if Mets have to come across to CFS talkgroups and use "standard" lingo... Then when we go into Mets area we should be using Station Numbers and K-Codes...

It should go BOTH ways!

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: CFS Station numbers
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2005, 01:44:29 AM »
hey all i think i can help with what the numbering mean,

eg Salisbury 24P call sign for MFS comms is 9119

meaning
91 = station number
19 = Rescue Vehicle

other station numbers
CFS STATION NUMBERS

Number - Station
29 - Burnside
46 - Eden Hills
47 - Blackwood
48 - Belair
49 - Corromandel Valley
57 - Cherry Gardens
74 - Norton Summit
80 - Happy Valley
81 - Morphett Vale
83 - Seaford
88 - Bridgewater
90 - Stirling
91 - Salisbury
92 - Dalkeith
94 - Athelstone
95 - Tea Tree Gully
96 - Virginia
97 - One Tree Hill
114 - Clarendon
162 - Aldinga Beach
163 - Mclaren Vale

it is my understanding these are the main stations that mfs to paging for all other go through SOC.
 the other numbers 1 First Pump
2 Second Pump
3 Skyjet
4 Heavy Rescue
5 Snorkel
6 Hazmat Tender
7 Ladder
8 4X4 Medium Pump
9 Pump Rescue
10 Canteen Unit
11 Third Pump
12 2wd Grassfire Unit 1000L