Author Topic: Sub Brigades (Stations)  (Read 8714 times)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Sub Brigades (Stations)
« on: July 20, 2006, 03:31:03 PM »
Gday Folks,

Can anyone tell me how these brigades with sub stations operate?

Do both sations respond or is it one then the other or what?

Camo
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Sub Brigades (Stations)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:53:08 PM »
Well camo here in Region 5 we have about 2 or 3 sub bases that have GRN radios installed in them 2 of these sub bases happens to be over the border just outside of Penola

Im pretty sure that Lake Mundi is a CFS sub base although you might want to ask Blinky as he knows where the sub bases in Region 5 are located... what i do know that there is a CFA station that is a CFS
Region 5 sub base
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 12:34:33 AM »
Are tou talking about satelite stations like Barmera's one at Cobdogla, i suppose they would respond to the same page????
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 07:53:28 AM »
I would say camo is talking about satelite stations in the cfs not sub bases,not sure how they work here camo but from CFA they are paged at the sametime the main brigade is and turn out as per SOPS... Now the sub station does not have to have an officer with in that sub station but most brigades do have a officer. To put it into layman terms lets say CFA portland have a sub station which they do,there is an officer in that station who lives/works in the area he is oic of the crew till they get to the job then the oic of the job more than likly the full time staf(who are all great guys) will give directions of what is to be done... The sub station is a part of the main station,they all train together,and they all have the same monthly meeting. So its no different to being part of the main station,most sub stations come about for a number of reasons. Portland came about beacuse of where its members lived and worked and the time it took them to get to the main station..Now the sunbury CFA sub station came about due to members having trouble getting over the main railway lines out of Melbourne in peak hour traffice and with frieght trains hence the satelite station... Works well and there is room for more in CFS if its done correctly the key to this is TEAM work and not having a sub brigade to be better than a main brigade or for any other reason.....

PF_

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 10:48:03 AM »
What is a sub station in CFS terms?

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 03:07:11 PM »
Brigade with two stations in different parts of their area...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 03:22:20 PM »
I think that the Satellite Station Idea would be really good for South Australia after all its doing good in Victoria  :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

Manuel

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 03:24:17 PM »

so do they have two trucks, or just swap it around?

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 03:27:42 PM »
I think that the Satellite Station Idea would be really good for South Australia after all its doing good in Victoria  :-D

It could be Robert34 if you have the right people..we have a district that want to be a satellite brigade..they are cowboys and not interested in towing the org line..I say if you want to be a brigade, be one in your own right..but that's only in reference to the one I'm talking about.  :-)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 03:45:48 PM »

so do they have two trucks, or just swap it around?

At Barmera they run a 24p, 34, and a 14.  The 14 is stationed at Cobdogla about 5kms from Barmera
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 04:46:32 PM »
I know it is not CFS, but:

SES Sturt have a vehicle (light rescue 4wd) located at the Sturt Police station, where the LHQ is in Coromandle Valley. Allows quicker response by people working closer to that vehicle.

The vehicle is driven to LHQ for training by local crew. Vehicle checks & re-stocking are conducted each night.

In country regions where large distances are involved (eg west coast & flinders rangers) between resources, 'community response trailers' are being deployed so that they have basic equipment & training to start the job quickly.

I understand that the community /remote vehicles are notified of the incident as well as the main Unit. Both resources respond with the local equipment being able to provide the sitrep, stabilisation and immediate aid, while the rest of the people / equipment are in-transit.

The remote vehicle garaging from LHQ has been part of metro SES since the mid-80's.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 08:13:05 AM »
Its up to a brigade to say what appliances should be at the satelite station,you still need to have members who are going to do the job and not cowboys/cowgirls.. The only way to see if its going to work is try it,may be see if a members has room at there place for an appliances and try it before making any plan's.But make sure you just dont run out and do it talk to your group and the region first.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 11:16:29 AM »
I wonder if they have enough people etc...why don't they have their own brigade  :?

Certainly in the circumstance over here...they should be their own brigade and not a satellite.  There is too much distance between them for a start..and they are their own community...

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 02:45:24 PM »
i think another issue that comes to light regarding sub stations is that the appliance/s based in the sub station can sometimes not be looked after as well, as it is off by itself. Therefore things could break, malffunction, go missing and it may be arriving at a job when the problem is noticed.
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 04:20:59 PM »
These stations would only work if people work as a TEAM..

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 09:09:19 AM »
Do we actually have any satellite brigades in SA?  :?

rescue5271

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 04:19:46 PM »
Yes I think there is one in region 3 and another some where else.....

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 06:21:19 PM »
Barmera have a satelite station at cobdogla.

range and hope forest have two stations

and there is one down near yankalilla somewhere.

Camo
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 12:10:56 AM »
Rapid Bay have one at the bay and one at Delamere.....There are a few stations like Range/Hope Forest that have merged as a brigade but still run one truck at each location.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Manuel

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 08:39:39 AM »
Is having a sub-station a good way to start a new brigade?, because it would be a good way to make one. I have always wondered how they make a new brigade...

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 09:45:28 AM »
there are a few brigades that run a sattelite station in the state. there is one on KI (duncan gosse) and on the Yorke Peninsula (south kilkerran/balgowan), and a few around other areas of the state although i am not exaclty sure where...

these sattelite stations are still under the main brigade, so they are ofcourse paged as the original brigade, and then it is up to the brigades arrangements as to where they respond from... (hope that makes sense)
not sure where the term sub base came from, but it may mean something entirely differant..

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 01:23:32 PM »
Kilkerren/ Balgowan, is based at Balgowan.  And it can't split the appliances, as they only have one......!    The station used to be at South Kilkerren, and moved to Balgowan, and the name eventually changed to Balgowan.

Western Districts, on KI, have appliances based in three separate locations.  Western Districts was formed as a merger of South West and Duncan Gosse.   Often, the stationing of appliances in different locations is done in areas where there are small populations to crew the appliance, and a large area to cover - so at least one appliance can be close to an incident, no matter where in their response area it occurs.   

As for forming a new brigade - there is a new one on the Eyre Peninsula - a brigade called Tuckey.

To form a new brigade, I would expect that the community needs to support it, show they have enough people who are interested / able and willing to join, and there needs to be a demonstrated need for a brigade to be there.    Then it is a matter of negotiations with CFS as to setting it up.  I understand that Tuckey should have an appliance before the start of this fire season (well, at least that is the plan...)

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 01:48:19 PM »
We've just received a memo from our RC asking us to consider allowing the entry of a satellite brigade..personally, I'm against this one, especially as we already have 15 brigades in our group!

and these guys have already scared us with their cowboy attitudes!  :-(

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 02:05:53 PM »
thanks for that pipster... i was under the impression that they did run a sattelite stn  :roll:

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 04:13:10 PM »
Hindmarsh Valley run a sub station as well. one of their 34 is kept at a different location.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

anything