Author Topic: Paid CFS firefighters  (Read 6104 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Paid CFS firefighters
« on: July 29, 2006, 02:30:09 PM »
I know we've discussed this in various other threads, but I don't think its every been discussed as a topic itself.

Would it be possible for the CFS to have paid stations (Similar to what the CFA have)?
I think with the growing problems of volunteer numbers, a paid system could work in some areas.
For example, in Mount Lofty Group, there could a station that had a full crew during the day, and they would respond to any job that happened in the group. That way you could guarantee a fire appliance at any incident in that area, and there would be no need for MFS to build a new station, and get new trucks etc.

So rather than put MFS in Mount Barker (and Bridgewater as suggested in MFS Takover), the CFS could just pay a crew of 5 to sit in those CFS stations during the day (or 24/7). I can't see how it wouldn't work, except for funding...

Manuel

Re: Paid CFS firefighters
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 02:38:32 PM »
it defiantly could work, but would it not cause more division between members in the brigade, and during the day time, would other member, turn out to the station.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 02:44:44 PM »
You said the golden word Bill `funding`. The CFS is stretching things as it is for what is does with its money. There would have to be a very big injection of money from the govt to make this happen. Cant see it somehow.

PF_

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 02:46:38 PM »
I agree with Manuel that will cause even more "tribal" problems, not a good idea.  

Also might get people joining for the wrong reasons. Saying this if there was a reatined MFS near where I live I would have probably joined that over CFS (for reasons not needing mentioning, however it has nothing to do with CFS vs MFS do please dont make those assumptions) but paid CFS would not work well as it would probably cause further divisions between brigades.

Just put in a MFS station and have volunteer CFS.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 02:50:35 PM »
the idea could have some merit (although would be politcally difficult) but before that happened I personally would rather see either, or both of the following: (a) a paid admin person to do all the paperwork, (b) paid group officer(s).

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 02:56:32 PM »
Maybe MFS funded, but CFS run? (hehe can't see that happening either, although, wasn't that partly the point of SAFECOM?)

Ideally it wouldn't create that much of a split - as it would still be the same brigade.  No different from a busy brigade going to work with a not-busy brigade, and as your in the same service, you won't get the same split that CFS/MFS have.

CFS brigades would respond as normal, everyone responding, but you'd have the extra resource of the paid CFS crew.

Darius - totally agree there... Apparently there are paid admin people around, but I've never seen one. :-o

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 02:58:37 PM »
Manuel, Mount Barker has a roster, but only at night, during the day everyone responds. If you read the article in The Courier a couple of weeks ago about CFS vols not being allowed to leave work, sounds like they might be struggling a bit during the day as. 9For them that probably means they can only get 2 trucks out the door :P)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 03:08:44 PM »
I dont see funding being an issue....quite simply if it is cfs or mfs funded either service would have to apply for more funding from the government to run the service.

In regards to being a split service im not sure.....As long as we dont have this is a paid truck you cant touch type of attitude i could see it working.

Camo
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

pumprescue

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 03:28:25 PM »
It is not a funding issue, the government and the UFU have stated many times there is only one paid fire service in South Australia and that is the way it will stay...

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 04:04:57 PM »
May be not paid with a weekly amount but with other benifits eg no emergency service levey and other goverment charges

Toast

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 06:48:46 PM »
Or you could just get all the uni students with nothing to do during the day and let them run their own 24/7 paid station...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 06:56:10 PM »
That would be a good idea Toast i can see it now Adelaide Uni 14 or Flinders Uni 34  :roll:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Toast

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 07:04:29 PM »
Its almost the consistency of Stirling day crew anyway.

rescue5271

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 07:43:39 AM »
As a ex CFA member who was in a volunteer/paid staff brigade I can tell you that it does work well but the key to this working in SA is not money or how the Volunters would take it its the UNION. The brigade I was with had 3 paid staff who where fully supported by a full Volunteer crew we where paged sametime the paid staff where and in many cases we would go on stirke teams with a mix of paid and volunteer members on our tanker. I can see many places where it would work but keep in mind that you may not need paid staff 24/7.You could have paid staff work day shift only and the Volunteers do the arvo/nite shift. I am all for it why as I have seen it work well In Victoria and in TASSIE YOU WILL NEVER KNOW TILL YOU TRY. As for the volunteers and us attitude or the brigade being splite I dont agree have only seen that once and that was beacuse of the union and the problem was fixed very fast. I can name alot of stations in CFA where the volunteers and staff have a great working relationship and you will find its harder for the staff to come into the volunteers station and work.

Keep in mind that in these station you still have a Volunteer officer rank and in the case of portland CFA they still have a brigade captain as the paid staff there work day shift only....BRING IT ON.....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 08:45:43 PM »
From what I understand of things CFA supplement their funding by doing all servicing of fire extinguishers etc within their region.This money is used to provide paid staff at stations. it could work here but of course the UNION would step up to the plate and make an issue of it even though it has been talked about for years :roll:

Images are copyright

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 09:25:59 PM »
Why would the union (I assume you mean the UFU) make an issue of it?  It not like it'll threaten any MFS jobs... (Even if it does mean no new ones will be created)... :?

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 09:31:08 PM »
The MFS did have a servicing division for extinguishers and alarms it was called FES. Got sold off back in the 90s I think. Maybe so the MFS could concentrate on core business or maybe just a government sell off. Cant see CFS being permitted to do it.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 09:10:59 AM »
Well they sold everything else off :evil:
Images are copyright

rescue5271

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2006, 04:15:14 PM »
the money that is done when brigades to fire extinguisher service goes back to the brigade and not into the paid staff fund.Most of the work that is done is done for chubb fire who pay the brigade a fee. Paid and volunteer stations would work and I know a number of cfs paid officers who have over the years looked at having it,but they all have said the same thing the UFU in SA would not support the volunteer/paid staff brigade like they do else where in this country... I can also see a need for busy brigades to have a paid full time admin officer who would look after 3 or 5 brigades and take care of all the paperwork....

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 05:11:04 PM »
Interesting - there is non mandatory requriement for them to join the UFU - deopendant on how an award was structured - i.e. Current CFS paid staff could join either UFU, however are in the public service association!

Having seen volunteer/career stations both in Australia and O/S - the main reason they don't work is personalities and mind sets - remove that and they work very, very well.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 05:54:06 PM »
.... the main reason they don't work is personalities and mind sets - remove that and they work very, very well.

Do you have a human personality if you remove that much ? :roll: :wink:
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 01:01:07 PM »

Manuel

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2006, 12:34:33 PM »
i love those comics :-P

rescue5271

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2006, 08:25:19 PM »
I think the only way is up and if CFS wants to do it then do it,may be pick a brigade that is doing a large amount of calls and see if they want to have paid staff working with Volunteers. It would work and you will always have people who will knock but if that is the way to go lets trail it and see how it works. Look there are paid and volunteer brigades that only do 160 calls per year but have a large urban/rural area to protect.. So is there any brigade out there that is willing to give it ago?????