Author Topic: people taking photo's at jobs  (Read 6946 times)

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
people taking photo's at jobs
« on: August 01, 2006, 09:40:42 AM »
i have noticed that quite a few people now take photos at jobs for their own interest/give to the promo unit etc. I was wondering what everybodies feelings were on here (i know there are a few snappers) about people taking photo's at jobs. Do you feel there is a purpose for a private camera on board? do you feel a set of hands are taken away because they are taking photo's?

Persoonally, I don't have a problem with it as long as its done after your help is needed. I would probably give it a go myself, but never remember a camera on the way out!
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: people taking photo's at jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 11:47:09 AM »
Our Brigade takes photos at every job - mostly once things have settled down and there is time. We do this because our photos have been used in court before - now it is habit to take them.  The photos are also used for training purposes and to keep a record of what jobs the Brigade has been to. Generally photos taken at a job are not on display to the public.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 12:28:03 PM »
I think that photos certainly have their place but as mentioned...it needs to be when the situation is well in hand...or when it's going to the fan and you have to sit and watch...

I do remember thinking (for about a millisecond) during Black tuesday that I wished I had a camera with me...I've since bought a digital camera...but I think I'll buy a smaller, cheaper one that can ride with my kit..

Many photos taken have been used in evidence during the coronial..beware of taking them.. :evil:

Manuel

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 01:55:18 PM »
photos are great, i love taking them at incidents, the only problem is you cant get a good shot, because you are working when the perfect moment strikes. I have taken many a photo at incidents, and I have made a promotional video for our brigade out of them, and some videos. I dont think i can post it on this site, but it should be on our brigade website soon.

www.littlehamptoncfs.org.au

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 02:09:08 PM »
Well as one of the promo units photo people,I take photos for a number of reasons but most of all to promote the workings of Volunteers and also to have a record of what goes on at a working job... More and more you will see cameras on the fire ground taking photos of a crime scene or taking photos of cars that are parked in areas where they should not be.Last summer I was a crew member on one of our rural appliances that went to Victoria and as is the norm the camera was with me and in a full day I took 400 photos. Now I have done a number of articles in the volunteer and the photos have also been there so as to show crews at work....  There is a time and place to take photos and we need to respect the wishes of those who dont want to be in the photo but also if we are dealing with death as a result of a RCR... I dont see any problem taking photos as long as its after you have done your job or you are in a postion where you can take photo's.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 02:47:57 PM »
RCR's You Should Be Asking The Police Permission To Take The Photos Now.  Something New I Believe They Are Introducing.

You Shouldn't Have Someone Tired Up With A Camera On A Job If Its A Working Job But If You Have People Who Are Not Doing Anything Then I Don't Think There Is An Issue With Grabbing A Camera.  Photos Should Not Be Released To The Public.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 02:53:28 PM »
Isn't there an SOP or SAP on taking photos at incidents???

They can be a very useful training tool!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Manuel

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 03:31:04 PM »
i now have that promotional video that i made, what do people think of it. I took all those photos and videos myself click below

http://www.cfs.themazzone.com/videos/littlehamptonfirevideo-small.wmv

Manuel

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 03:35:38 PM »
oh and about the music on that, yea i have a softer version with a different  song, for the old ones :evil:

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 03:42:21 PM »
Good movie! :)

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 03:45:20 PM »
Not A Bad Movie, Very Busy With The Animations What Software Did You Use To Make It With.

Manuel

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 03:49:40 PM »
Adobe premier

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 04:07:50 PM »
This is a question to those who don't think we should be taking photos at an incident:

Have you seen the BFF-1 training manual, BA training manual, or suppress wildfire training manual, and a few other recent publications?

Have you seen the photos in those manuals?

The bulk of the photos have been taken by CFS photographers at a wide range of incidents, attended by CFS. 

Have you seen the Volunteer Magazine?  Do you like the photos in it?  The bulk of those photos were also taken by CFS members at incidents.

Without those people taking photos, we could end up with a Volunteer Magazine with only a handful of photos, and Training manuals with a handful of staged photos of training centre staff (no offence to the staff, or the training centre).

So, the huge number of photos taken by CFS members at incidents (and other activities) has resulted in huge library of photos, which have been used for training purposes, as well as for promoting the work of volunteers - not the corporate line that the Government insists that Government agencies adopt.

To attract new volunteers to the service, and to educate the public, and other services about what CFS volunteers actually do, CFS as a whole needs to promote itself.    What better way to promote itself than show *** suitable *** good quality, exciting photos..... :-D

Pipster

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Toast

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 04:51:04 PM »
No reason not to take photos. They make for a good historical record for the brigade. We carry film cameras on all our appliances with a digital camera on Pumper as well. I enjoy taking photos, and at jobs that don't require everyone, RCR's etc, then you can spare someone taking some photos. Ofcourse all personal information (faces/plate no.) should be blurred out of a picture if its going to be shown publicly. For fatals... well depends on the situation if photos should be taken.

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 07:43:31 PM »
Good one PIP: like the video just becareful of copy laws when you add music so you may want to look those up.Other than that its not to bad may be you could learn from MATT B

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2006, 07:54:36 PM »
If we where to stop members taking photos then who is going to write any type of book on the CFS and its members??? I enjoy taking the photos I take and along the way I have met some very interesting members and if you read the next Volunteer I hope two of my articles will be in there and one is of a brigade in region 1..... I say take photos promote the service but above all respect what you take and show,you can learn alot from a photo and it also helps with training and to see where you went wrong or look at things at a different angle. :mrgreen:

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 08:34:18 AM »
I dont see any problems with taking photos at a job cause my brigade has taken tons of photos including one funny pic where one of our former members who retired last year for medical reasons was going for his MR licence and ended up driving the truck into a drain while doing a 3 point turn  :lol:

It took another truck which happened to be our cross town neighbouring brigade Nangwarry to pull the mighty open back Kalangadoo 34 out of the drain  :lol: i can tell you it was really funny as i was listening to the scanner in our station   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Manuel

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 04:55:27 PM »
here it is, this video is for those who found the other too flashy,  so it is for the older ones  :-D

http://stuff.themazzone.com/smallone%20for%20the%20AGM.wmv

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2006, 07:44:51 PM »
Nice work on the video Manuel, what is the name of that transition that you use throughout it??

I also stumbled across the Stirling website as well http://www.cfs.themazzone.com/index.php, looking nice so far, will be good when it's complete.

Manuel

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2006, 07:53:32 PM »
thanks, i like yours as well :-D. I am not sure of the transitions because my Adobe program is playing up but i will try and find out.  OH and the stirling CFS web site, i am not doing that it is CFS_fiery, he just hosted it for me.

Manuel

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2006, 07:59:03 PM »
Actually which video are you referring to? because you should know that the second one is using really simple ones.

Toast

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 01:52:15 AM »
thanks, i like yours as well :-D. I am not sure of the transitions because my Adobe program is playing up but i will try and find out.  OH and the stirling CFS web site, i am not doing that it is CFS_fiery, he just hosted it for me.

Good god, Manuel certainly ISNT ours!

:-P

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 08:20:43 AM »
Actually which video are you referring to? because you should know that the second one is using really simple ones.

In the larger video (Rammstein) you use the white box sliding in effect a lot, I was just wondering what that one is called.

Who's going to be the next one to get a video up ??

Manuel

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2006, 09:58:41 AM »
What version of Adobe premier do you use, I now have 2.0, and it is an extension i had to download, that was called HP. and i hear stirling has one on the way...

corecutters

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2006, 11:11:23 PM »
This from the STIRLING CFS WEBSITE:

Appliances:
Rescue [Equipment]
Rescues people!(Toyota)

24 [Equipment]
Fights rural fires. has long hoses and lots of water!(Hino)

Pumper [Equipment]
Goes anywhere and everywhere anytime. Fights house fires, goes to road crashes and also is equiped with a bow saw.(Isuzu)

Tanker [Equipment]
Carries lots and lots and lots of water. 7000 litres, more than you could drink!(Hino)

12 [Equipment]
Awesome Urban/rural truck that just keeps going! (Ford)

___
Awesome website guys, but god that bit ^^ made me laugh......

Rescues people.
Awesome urban/rural truck.
Lots and lots of water... more than you could drink!
Goes any where and everywhere.. Is also fitted with a bow saw
Has long hoses and lots of water...

Classic !  :-D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 11:15:10 PM by corecutters »

anything