Author Topic: pbi gold  (Read 45773 times)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Re: pbi gold
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2006, 10:51:23 PM »
Nothing wrong with wanting to help your communities.  Its a pity there isnt more dedicated people out there like MR T!

Well Done Mate
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2006, 10:54:15 PM »
That is a great way to get day time crew. If you work near a brigade that has day shortages and don't live there respond to them.

It does however create more PBI gold problems
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:03:19 PM by bittenyakka »

rescue5271

« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2006, 07:24:02 AM »
If we start to follow AFAC then PBI gold will be out  as most other fire services are now useing Nomex how ever Tassie are doing a trial of new PPC/PPE for the next 12 months and one of the products is PBI GOLD that was given to them by the SAMFS...

Toast

« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2006, 06:55:36 PM »
If we start to follow AFAC then PBI gold will be out  as most other fire services are now useing Nomex how ever Tassie are doing a trial of new PPC/PPE for the next 12 months and one of the products is PBI GOLD that was given to them by the SAMFS...
Are you suggesting that PBI does not meet the standards? We would lose our brand new state of the art PPE in favour of... nomex? (What we've just gotten rid of)

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2006, 07:27:02 PM »
PBI is unquestionably a better fabric than Nomex! It has far superior qualities in regards to flame resistance and maintaining integrity when exposed to flame.
That being said Nomex is still widely used and very good.

Timbo

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2006, 12:46:23 PM »
three brigades......... your a bit too keen. :wink:

Is it possible to be 'too keen'?? - I am in a non BA brigade, and respond with 2 BA brgades as they have issues getting day time crew and I can leave work any time.  I train with alternatye brigades so they can get used to an 'outsider' and they all appreciate having an extra BA available.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2006, 01:08:46 PM »
Just remember... you/your life need to be taken care of first..... :)

Timbo

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2006, 01:13:51 PM »
Just remember... you/your life need to be taken care of first..... :)

??? - surely that is a given

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2006, 01:17:17 PM »
You'll be surprised Mr T. Quite a few people have lost jobs over the years because of CFS/SES.... doesnt hurt to be reminded.

Timbo

« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2006, 01:31:29 PM »
You'll be surprised Mr T. Quite a few people have lost jobs over the years because of CFS/SES.... doesnt hurt to be reminded.
Oh - I see your point.
However, I own this business - I'm not likely to sack myself.  I have 68 ppl working here so can easily get away.
What you say is valid though

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2006, 01:59:34 PM »
However, I own this business - I'm not likely to sack myself.

Cant argue with that! lol :-)

Toast

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2006, 12:42:01 AM »
If only employers could be more understanding.

Offline Smallflame

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2006, 07:52:25 AM »

Is it possible to be 'too keen'?? - I am in a non BA brigade, and respond with 2 BA brgades as they have issues getting day time crew and I can leave work any time.  I train with alternatye brigades so they can get used to an 'outsider' and they all appreciate having an extra BA available.

Nice effort mate! Don't think its possible to be " Too Keen" unless you're going into symptoms of physical withdrawl when calls are sparse.

Timbo

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2006, 10:07:23 AM »

Nice effort mate! Don't think its possible to be " Too Keen" unless you're going into symptoms of physical withdrawl when calls are sparse.

by brigade only gets 15/20 a year, other 2 brigades get 30/40 and 70/80, so not overly busy in the scheme of things (especially when you include dual response).  quite odd when the pager goes off twice or even 3 times for reponse though - with identical messages

Offline mattthefirey

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2007, 05:12:02 PM »
at least most of you have PBI gold many of us don't have the gear i was recently at a CFB course to find out that thirteen of the twenty trainees have even been issued PBI an i have had BA for 18 months now. whats the point in training Ba opperators if there is not the correct PPE for them to wear. :? :?
my opinion only

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2007, 05:44:05 PM »
You're not alone... I have about half of my BA Operators without PBI Gold...the last one to do a BA Course around 4 weeks ago was not even measured up for the gear!!

The members are also new to the brigade, so they don't have Nomex either....so technically they can't be used for any sort of structure fire..

And those without PBI Gold are much smaller in stature than those who currently have PBI Gold, so they can't even pinch the PBI Gold from other people who may not be present for that type of call!!  (One guy is 6 foot 6 tall, and slim.. the 5 foot 3 tall person is just not going safely be able to wear his gear..!) 

The reasons (excuses?) given is that the company is having trouble sourcing the material from overseas..... and that they don't have a number of sizes in stock, and hence some people haven't got their gear yet.....

One of my guys has only been waiting about 7 months.. it sounds like many others have been waiting much longer than that....

The reasons / excuses being given are starting to wear very thin..

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

uniden

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2007, 07:34:38 PM »
Its a shame that a lot of the companies that win government contracts to supply/build stuff for government departments screw up. There seems to be the mentality that if they stuff it up, it doesnt matter they have the contract anyway... This seems to be happenning again and again. Especially with clothing supply.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2007, 09:32:50 PM »
how do you know it's the companies fault? Could the fault lie with CFS/safecom systems? Seems more likely to me based on my experience with both organisations.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2007, 12:05:31 AM »
We are experiencing the same problems getting the stuff since the intial roll-out. All we get is "its coming". Tell you one thing though its better to wear once its been washed, it takes the stiffness out of it!
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

uniden

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2007, 11:20:18 AM »
Well there were other companies that used to supply CFS clothing that had trouble keeping up too. I am also talking about companies that sham up building projects too and take many attempts at doing the job properly.

Offline Smokey Bear

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2007, 04:16:22 PM »
Doesnt help when the gear is made in China!

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2007, 05:07:07 PM »
I have spoken to a number of brigade's who have the pbi gear all say its nice and warm and in many cases too filtered warm to wear and you better start drinking before you get to the job.also the gear is bulky and hard to wear in,also not sure if its true but pbi gold may not be on our stock order much more could be getting replaced.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2007, 05:30:07 PM »
Doesnt help when the gear is made in China!

The material may be made in China, but as I understand it, the cutting / sewing together stuff is done here...

We have been told various times that the hold up is in getting the material from wherever it comes from, to the Company putting the gear together.... don't know how much truth is in that, but that was one of the reasons given as to the holdup in getting the PBI Gold out to those who ordered it..

I wonder if the MFS has similar delays..?

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2007, 07:19:38 PM »
I have spoken to a number of brigade's who have the pbi gear all say its nice and warm and in many cases too filtered warm to wear and you better start drinking before you get to the job.also the gear is bulky and hard to wear in,also not sure if its true but pbi gold may not be on our stock order much more could be getting replaced.....

Who told you that .. ?? ..??

Offline Smokey Bear

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2007, 09:59:10 PM »

The material may be made in China, but as I understand it, the cutting / sewing together stuff is done here...

I wonder if the MFS has similar delays..?

Pip

Im getting absent minded in my old age but i think the last time i looked it my pbi had a made in china tag or something...will look next time im there.

Are you implying the MFS have things better then CFS? That they dont have to wait as long?  Surely Not.  The 2 Fire Services in SA are very much equal.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: