Author Topic: drying off fast  (Read 24484 times)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: drying off fast
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2006, 04:00:45 PM »
I wouldn't have thought that there would be much of Ngarkat that hasn't been burnt from last year!  :-D

(or the year before) no there's plenty left, I'll bet too that it will feature again this summer

shhhhhh.......  :wink:

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2006, 05:38:44 PM »
Hopefully, if it does happen there will be a very strong westerly behid it - then it can blow through into Victoria and hit their abrren scare from the Big desert fire a few year back!  far better than it blowing out into grazing and croppojg country!

Better still why chase it, monitor, watch and then protect the park boundaries!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2006, 06:52:46 PM »
Better still, lets not have a fire at all! then we can stay at home in the airconditioning... :P
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 10:33:40 PM by CFS_firey »

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2006, 08:54:05 PM »
Better still, lets night have a fire at all! then we can stay at home in the airconditioning... :P

now thats my kinda summer!
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2006, 09:03:45 PM »
aaah..... cricket and beer.

Manuel

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2006, 09:15:49 PM »
and the beach...

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 09:43:27 PM »
hmmm... and bikinis.  :wink:

Manuel

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 09:44:21 PM »
NO nude beach i say :-D

PF_

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2006, 10:30:22 PM »
if you wanna shrivvle ya schnizzle in the sun go for it!  :-o :oops:

summer is a time for sunglasses, not to coer up the sun but to cover up wandering eye's, so many mini skirts  :-P

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2006, 09:12:20 AM »
Back to the topic...I was listening to the ABC yesterday and they were saying that the chance of us having an El Nino event prior to xmas was really high and that the increase chance of a significant fire was 20%...and Andy Lawson was saying this morning that the fire danger season may be brought forward to Oct due to the lack of rain...could be a LONG season... :x

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2006, 09:30:12 AM »
Holy cow  :-o you kidding me all mighty DGO CaptCom
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2006, 11:12:31 AM »
One of the telling indicators, re how dry things are, is looking at the soil dryness indicators - that is a measure of how much rain (in mm) is required to saturate the top layer of soil.  The higher the number, the drier things are.

Taking the figures from Met Bureau site, for this year, and the previous two years, at the same time, at the following sites are:

Naracoorte  150, 100, 0
Mt Gambier 50, 48, 0
Mt Barker 35, 0, 25
Mt Crawford 35, 0 ,20
Clare 70, 30, 20

So, in all sites listed, it is drier this year, than at the same time in the previous two years.  There is nothing listed for other areas, but I would imagine that they are very dry too....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2006, 11:59:16 AM »
Holy cow  :-o you kidding me all mighty DGO CaptCom

all true Robert34...and I've seen what extreme weather can do with a going fire... = Black Tuesday...

Pip is right...soil dryness and then quicker curing rate = early fire danger... = shite against fan..

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2006, 01:05:17 PM »

it's funny, it certainly feels like there has been less rain than last year (and I've got one tank that's not yet full) however just measuring local rainfall where I am (southern mt lofty ranges) we are pretty much spot on with last year.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2006, 01:13:41 PM »
I've heard rumours that this years weather pattern is closely mimicking those of 1979 and 1982 (before both ash Wednesdays), but I haven't been able to find any official information about it...

Does anyone know how anything more about that?  Like in what way they are similar?

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2006, 02:17:36 PM »
Well CFS_ Firey if histroy has taught us anything is that weather patterns from great fires such as 1983 can repeat and i have to agree with you the weather pattern from 1979/1982 is happening again as we've been in a drought for the last few months with low rain fall

« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:27:27 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2006, 05:20:31 PM »
CFS Deputy Chief Officer Andrew Lawson today mentioned in a press conference that the fire season could even be brought as far forward as mid September.

The weather gurus are saying they can see no significant rainfall likely in September. Could be an interesting year.

Offline firetruck

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2006, 05:28:20 PM »
oohh, it sounds like im gonna be spending a lot of these holidays on the back of my 24!
"East side love is living on the West end"

proud inventor of the nickname "manny","manny the man whore" and "mandogga"

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2006, 05:41:25 PM »
Further to my last post:

Weatherzone Press Release

Adelaide endures driest winter on record]

31/08/2006: Adelaide has just suffered its driest winter on record and the driest August in 62 years, according to Weatherzone.

A paltry 10mm of rain fell during the month, compared to a long-term average of 70mm.

Throughout the entire winter season, Adelaide received only 59mm, when it would normally expect 232mm.

“Traditionally, winter is the wettest time of year in Adelaide, so to receive such low rainfall this winter is a worrying sign heading into the drier summer months,” Weatherzone meteorologist Matt Pearce said.

“The very dry conditions have been a result of unusually high pressure across southern Australia, keeping rain-bearing cold fronts well to the south.

“Unfortunately with the threat of an El Nino developing, the pattern of warm weather is expected to continue through spring.”

In addition, daytime temperatures in the city have also been high – the average maximum of 19 degrees was the warmest in 13 years.

Nighttime temperatures, though, were closer to average, despite a spell of cold nights around the middle of the month. The temperature dropped to a chilly three degrees on the 10th, making it the coldest August morning since 1999.

Manuel

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2006, 11:53:06 PM »
Well we can only hope that nothing that bad happens, we are still trying to deal with the last one that went bad. Lets hope the police are on to all those pyros :-D

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2006, 09:29:13 AM »
You will find that the response plans will be ramped up to allow for the lack of soil moisture and the potential for another AW or BT is quite high..2 years since the last is probably not long enough to forget!!

We didnt' have enough resources then..and we never will when mother nature decides to play nasty... :cry:

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2006, 01:26:41 PM »
Any update yet on what date this month the fire season is gonna start CaptCom cause i have a gut feeling we might see another AW this fire season   :cry:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2006, 02:11:18 PM »
I haven't heard anything further on the update...I would expect that it will depend on the weather in the next few weeks...if the weather continues to be hot and windy...it may be start of Oct...would also depend on curing rates...it should go to the Groups for consultation too...maybe.. :?

rescue5271

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2006, 03:51:03 PM »
Number of farmers down this way burning off and they have had some great burns and with the soil dryness and not much water about what more can I say....

Manuel

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2006, 04:23:16 PM »
It was a hot windy one today, lets hope it does not stay like this all summer as things would dry out even more.