Author Topic: Help Wanted  (Read 4412 times)

Offline fire_freak

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Help Wanted
« on: August 29, 2006, 12:41:27 PM »
I am 18 years old and want to be a full time firefighter by 22. i have started body resistance training and yoga everyday, weight training every second and cardiovascular(stairs, jogging and shuttle practise) every second day not on the weights day and I leave a rest day. I am also joining the SES and CFS. is there any hints anyone could give me to help me succeed in my dream?

Love is the only fire that can't be controlled

corecutters

Re: Help Wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 12:54:49 PM »
Go to the MFS website, read the entry , and testing guides.

They have set physical training schemes to build you up to the exact testing they require, and undertake.

Train hard, maintain a healthy diet, study, and most of all, don't forget to still enjoy yourself.. The next few years are some of the best you will encounter.. Don't devote every minute of every day to such a program... An hour a day would be more than sufficient !

Good luck !

CC

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 02:17:28 PM »
I agree with corecutters...without knowing your phyical dimensions fire_freak...unless you are grossly unfit or a stick person...you should be able to complete the physical tests..

and I agree with the life enjoyment...join CFS..get some experience without the pressure of being paid...we also experience very different incidents...MFS don't usually do wildfires...(they do help but it's not their specialty)

You also need to be prepared to face some really ugly situations and sights..not something to rush into at a young age...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 03:17:05 PM »
From an outsider, the MFS and SAPOL seem to like people with practical job/lifeskills.

One of our Unit members is currently a cadet with SAPOL and her previous work experience assisted.

If this is true, then a part-time job to get work ethic and interaction with people in the workplace would assist.

My kids started at McDonalds for several years and I believe that helped them in their respective careers (not MFS or SAPOL).
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Toast

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »
Good to hear that you've given yourself plenty of time. Couple of suggestions, joining the CFS/SES is a good start no doubt, but don't forget that the training they give you cost money, so dont just join as a stepping stone. Also have you thought about looking around the rest of Australia? Both NSWFB, Tas Fire and MFB (vic) have lighter physical and licensing requirements compared to SAMFS, not to mention that they intake more people due to having a larger area.

If you're keen on short notice, Tasmania is currently recruiting, with the MFB JUST closing theirs last friday.

Also the SAMFS physical aptitude test document is rubbish in terms of showing you the excercise routines. Have a look at the NSWFB or MFB(especially) documents for a really nicely set out and in depth physical rountine.

If youve got any more questions and depending on where you are, feel free to fire us a PM to talk more :)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 08:55:08 PM »
As stated by someone else, dont forget to get a 'normal' job in the meantime... lots of emergency services look highly on 'life experience'...

but then again, considering your 18 im guessing you already have one  :wink:

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 09:10:56 AM »
MFS used to take on recruits who play Football only :wink:
Images are copyright

Manuel

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 12:32:26 PM »
Meh don't join both the CFS and SES, unless they are in the same station, you need to have a life :-) The CFS should give you the experience you need, especially if you join a "busy brigade"

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 12:58:41 PM »
Meh don't join both the CFS and SES, unless they are in the same station, you need to have a life :-) The CFS should give you the experience you need, especially if you join a "busy brigade"

You saying I dont have a life????:wink:

Fire_freak: It sounds like your on the right track.... As long as you keep your fitness a a good standard and are keen to learn, you shouldnt have any problems at all..... Best of luck :)

Manuel

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 02:05:43 PM »

You saying I don't have a life????:wink:

of course Mike :-D

Offline fire_freak

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 10:07:33 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. The CFS contacted me and I can't join as a firefighter because of where i live (novar gardens) but I'm going to join the SES still. In my life I've already seen alot of grizzly things and been through alot so having a job where i have to put my life on the line for someone elses safety(of property,health and mental well being) sounds good to me. I've been trying to find "normal" work but no places will hire me, I got no experience and I'm a freak lol. but i no as soon as some place gives me a chance I'll be set because I'm honest, trustworthy, hard working and intelligent. I cant join other fire services because adelaide is my home. My phsyical fitness training is for myself i useto be 90 kgs and only 5'4 at 16. I've looked at all the fire fighter sites around australia and SAMFS is pretty dodgy on the training requirements but the MFS is great i printed in off and do all the exercises from it(and more). wow ive written alot so I'll tie my fingers........... for now lol.
Love is the only fire that can't be controlled

corecutters

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 01:55:08 PM »
SAMFS is pretty dodgy on the training requirements but the MFS is great

Just incase you didn't know, SAMFS is the MFS.  (S.A Metropolitan Fire Service ~ or for short ~ Metro Fire Service)..

I cant join other fire services because adelaide is my home

You can apply for any Fire Service around Australia, and if willing to move, and if accepted etc can join any fire service Australia wide. I have many friends who work in both Military and State Fire Services who have originated from other states.

Cheers, and hope this helps,
CC

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 07:05:48 PM »
....where i live (novar gardens) but I'm going to join the SES still.....

Western Adelaide SES at 108 Marion Road (just north of the Airport) or Metro South SES at Beagle Tce, Lynton will always welcome new members.

Please private message me or email me for contact details. Otherwise telephone SES SHQ on 8463 4171 to gain contact details.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything