Author Topic: Appliance size and height  (Read 6143 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Appliance size and height
« on: September 12, 2006, 12:26:34 AM »
The new appliances the CFS is building all seem much bigger than what is already in service... (meaning 34P's compared with 24s and the Canter 14's compared with Utes etc)...
I'm just wondering if any brigades have had trouble with accessing incidents with these trucks... I know if my house caught fire, you wouldn't get a 34 down my driveway, and you'd be running at least 10 lengths of hose if you left the truck parked on the road...  I'm sure that's a common story in the lofty ranges...

Should the CFS also look at having a standard smaller appliance, like the old 12s or Tea tree gully 14, in addition to the bigger ones?

Big trucks:

Big 14:

Smaller 12:

More functional 14:

- Photos from the promo unit website
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 05:54:41 PM by CFS_firey »

Toast

Re: Appliance size and height
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 11:39:09 AM »
The current generation of applainces are great.... for grassland and open scrub. Rather poor for ares around the lofty ranges in terms of fire track access/driveway access.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 12:51:39 PM »
We have had a few problems with the hight need to trim a few trees to get to the fires. It is a long way to fall as well.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 01:12:24 PM »
mmm the only real issue we have had, is with the upkeep of council roads. too many overhanging branches that are a wee bit to low....

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 01:42:54 PM »
Do we need to respond the SES to all fires now to chainsaw an access path for the CFS? :P

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 02:55:24 PM »
HAH..... aaah dear.

lol - we did go through a period a while back where we smashed several mirrors......... funny stuff.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 03:02:47 PM »
I'm just wondering if any brigades have had trouble with accessing incidents with these trucks... I know if my house caught fire, you wouldn't get a 34 down my driveway, and you'd be running at least 10 lengths of hose if you left the truck parked on the road...  I'm sure that's a common story in the lofty ranges...

To begin with im suprised you being a firefighter havent made your house accessible to fire trucks.

unfortunately with all the jobs we are getting called to its probaly neccessary for the trucks to be this big and rather then downsize the trucks maybe we should be talking to the land owners telling them if you wish to have your house protected by a fire truck during a fire you might want to make it so we can get into your property!
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 03:14:09 PM »
I personally don't think it should be the responsibility of the land owners to build their properties around our trucks, especially when our trucks just keep getting bigger... and in the hills where you're asking landowners to spend thousands of dollars felling trees (and getting permission to do so) and then re-grading their roads so our trucks fits down, just in case there's a fire, we will be laughed at...
(In my case, we don't have a 34, so access isn't an issue.... yet;))

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 04:25:35 PM »
The CFS need to have multi purpose appliances and ones like TTG 14 dont fir this role. 24p,34p and 34`s are the way its going to be, there is no other way to have appliances that can carry the amount of heavy gear we have as well as the pumping capability. Not to mention the 4x4 and turbo components make the things higher. Yes it is the responsibility of the home owner to provide access as they are the ones that will suffer if appliances cannot get access.

Toast

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 05:04:25 PM »
What use is a big truck with heaps of water and lots of gear on it if it can't get to the fire?

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 05:45:09 PM »
Ahhmmmm  TTG14 & Basket Range 14 are around about the same size.  Upper Sturt 12 is not really a lot smaller than either of TTG14 or BR14.........

Perhaps the fact that the Picture of BR14 is twice the size of TTG14 & US14 might be a little deceiving....    :evil:

And perhaps a credit to the photographer (s) ?   :wink:
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 05:59:09 PM »
My bad...

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 06:03:40 PM »
and why isnt it the responsibility of the land owner to make there property fire proof?  which in my view includes making your property accessible by emergency vehicles.

Quite simply - If you wish an appliance to be able to respond to your property in the event of a fire then make sure you they can get access!
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 07:18:40 PM »
Does that mean if someones house catches fire, and we can't access it, we say "too bad, you didn't make your house accessable to us" and go home?

No, we still have to put the fire out, and its going to be much easier if we can actually get to the fire...

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 08:42:15 PM »
Due to the height of the new appliances each crew member will be issued with a milk create so as to get into the appliances...I would have to agree they are great for grassland fire's but not for the hills too large i would say would not be going into areas where the 24 would go.

Manuel

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2006, 04:40:47 PM »
there are almost no new 34's in the hills, but the 24'Ps are still a problem.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2006, 06:32:30 PM »
24P Snails.....where is the turbo :evil:
Images are copyright

anything