Author Topic: Honk Honk Whoop Whoop etc etc...  (Read 6141 times)

Toast

Honk Honk Whoop Whoop etc etc...
« on: September 16, 2006, 05:10:29 PM »
So, all things loud and noisy, I believe that 99% of the CFS run with electronic sirens and horns. Should we introduce mechanical sirens? Either the European or US versions? Should Air Horns be more widespread and brought in as standard?

Mechanical Sirens/Horns are so very much louder and attention getting than the electronic versions...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Honk Honk Whoop Whoop etc etc...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 06:22:43 PM »
Im with you Toast lets get a Federal Signal Q Siren like the yanks have and mount it on the front of the appliance....guaranteed attention grabber...HONKKKKKKKKKKKKKK  HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNKKKK Wail......... :-D :lol:
Images are copyright

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 08:11:17 PM »
Depends on where you are from.  No point most rural brigades having them as all they would do is scare the cows.

I would say 98% of the brigades wouldnt need them....
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 09:01:52 PM »
dunno about fancy donkey sirens...

but we have our own airhorns fitted on both appliances......

VERY LOUD! VERY NICE!

Manuel

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 10:15:54 PM »
I like the European sirens for some strange reason, find them not as annoying

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 12:02:36 AM »
I have to admit the Hyper Yelp that is on US police cars is pretty noisy and effective.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Toast

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 01:21:19 AM »
Ooh look, examples!

Manassa Volunteer FD, Tower turning out. Hot hot Federal Q / Air Horn action! (look at those people pulling their cars over too!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttHHjudq7fs

Tower 70 from somewhere! Going Someplace! More fantastic Fed Q action, and if you listen, there is a multitude of ... interesting ... electronic siren/horn combos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLsx1lKJIZQ

Apparently 'Rescue Squad 79' blitzing the neighbourhood at all hours of the night! Hear that big noise? Yes, those idiots have mounted a train horn to their applaince. :roll:  They run a Fed Q, Air horn, Train horn AND electronic siren. People dont often notice the appliance coming as they are too worried about the blood pouring from their burst eardrums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voukMh6AcV0

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 09:15:07 AM »
See that idiot in the white 4wd in the first one i bet there was scheiße in his daks. :lol:

And the train horn one that just pushes the boundries of ridiculous. but still :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 10:43:25 AM »
Imagine going flying through the town at 7am in the morning to a fire with the combination of a Fed Q,Air Horn,Train Horn and Electronic siren on our fire trucks  :lol: that would really grab attention

Think about how much attention it would get if a brigade responded to a RCR with that combination  :-P

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 11:51:05 AM »
Air horns are great to get attention heading into an intersection, round about or towards traffic lights.

these days with airconditioned cars fitted with nice radios, cd players, mp3 players, I think better lights would be better - i.e. head light flashers on high beam, more forward facing lights at rear vision mirror level!!!!!!!!!!

Also better at night, theres nothing worse than cruising through suburbia at night with the sirens going waking every man and their dog - not only is it annoying for the crews but does not serve to do mush other than wake the entire neighborhood up and them a little annoyed!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

probie_boy

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 01:39:29 PM »
Ooh look, examples!

Manassa Volunteer FD, Tower turning out. Hot hot Federal Q / Air Horn action! (look at those people pulling their cars over too!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttHHjudq7fs

Tower 70 from somewhere! Going Someplace! More fantastic Fed Q action, and if you listen, there is a multitude of ... interesting ... electronic siren/horn combos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLsx1lKJIZQ

Apparently 'Rescue Squad 79' blitzing the neighbourhood at all hours of the night! Hear that big noise? Yes, those idiots have mounted a train horn to their applaince. :roll:  They run a Fed Q, Air horn, Train horn AND electronic siren. People dont often notice the appliance coming as they are too worried about the blood pouring from their burst eardrums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voukMh6AcV0

that train horn is god damn ridiculous.

that is the craziest thing i have ever seen. i reckon they should huck a cow catcher on the front. good for clearing incident gawkers!

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 09:49:55 AM »
one would wonder why they even needed the siren in those conditions, but i guess thats a differant thing all together..... lol

on another note the lights setup seemed pretty good... the side flashers certainly work well...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 06:52:07 PM »
cool video. that idiot in the white 4x4 was stuck behind another idiot in a blule VW bug.
If CFS had that kind of siren we would probarly just annoy people. remembar the aim of the siren is to alert cars to your comming not to tell the entire district a cat is stuck in a tree.

Toast

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 01:23:59 AM »
cool video. that idiot in the white 4x4 was stuck behind another idiot in a blule VW bug.
If CFS had that kind of siren we would probarly just annoy people. remembar the aim of the siren is to alert cars to your comming not to tell the entire district a cat is stuck in a tree.
Usage is of course up to the OIC. I hope to (Hot place in ground) that you don't use your sirens for a cat vs. branch  :-P

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 11:52:17 PM »
I don't think we would. :-D but some people do find cats in trees rather urgent even thought they are likely to come down agin to get dinner. :lol: I would

Offline Hanging Around

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2006, 10:05:48 PM »
Having sirens loud enough to rupture everyones eardrums is all very nice, but there will always be some people who simply won't hear the sirens regardless of decibel level. Should we also have electronic signs (similar to those found on the roof of police cars) fitted to the front of the trucks, along with various configurations of lights to garner people's atention. Failing that, we could always just add a plow blade of some sort, to shunt cars out of the way.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 01:34:59 AM »

Cat in tree is Priority 2 response :-P
Images are copyright

Toast

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 01:58:56 AM »
Haha, thats half the problem, the SOP's have a huge grey area in terms of response priority..

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 11:44:25 AM »
LOL all brigades will now be issued with a large yellow thing with catapiller tracks.