Author Topic: Legality of pager scanner  (Read 3789 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Legality of pager scanner
« on: September 22, 2006, 01:08:25 PM »
What is the legality of pager and radio scanning?
It is my understanding that it is not illegal to listen to the radios (or read pager messages) but it is illegal to act on them...
Is this right?

For example, (and this would never happen :P), if a group of people were reading pager messages, and found out that their forums were allegedly going to be shut down, would it be legal for them to contact the person they thought the message was to, or from?

:?

probie_boy

Re: Legality of pager scanner
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 01:12:16 PM »
your assumption is correct to the best of my knowledge.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:44:13 PM »
What is the legality of pager and radio scanning?
It is my understanding that it is not illegal to listen to the radios (or read pager messages) but it is illegal to act on them...
Is this right?

sort of but it's a lot more complicated than that. (eg. what if you heard on your scanner a crime being committed, it wouldn't be illegal to phone the cops and report what you heard).  It's generally illegal to "profit" from scanning but even then what about the media listening to a scanner and hearing a fire reported then dashing off to get footage of it.  That's "profitting" from it in a way but is not illegal (so I believe).

For example, (and this would never happen :P), if a group of people were reading pager messages, and found out that their forums were allegedly going to be shut down, would it be legal for them to contact the person they thought the message was to, or from?

:?

no.  But then you're asking for legal advice on the internet!! so it's worth what you've paid for it!  In the end nothing is illegal (regardless of how you or I read the laws) until someone's been charged and a judge has passed sentence.

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 01:31:08 PM »
it is only illegal if you get busted
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 10:37:03 PM »
Monitoring radio traffic on a scanner is 100% perfectly legal in Australia just as long as its for recreational use only and not chasing fire trucks or ambulances to the scene of an accident or fire

The only thing that is 100% illegal here in Australia is monitoring mobile phone and house phone calls 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 10:43:02 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 01:34:09 PM »
Just had a look at the CFA pager site but its not working. Its off air due to leagal action from the Justice department.

http://www.onscene.com.au/