Author Topic: Volunteers picking and choosing calls  (Read 20544 times)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteers picking and choosing calls
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2006, 06:35:53 PM »
They need to undertake their burn over training, before going out on calls...    :evil:

Exactly...wont they be surprised :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline Big Yellow Gongbeater

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2006, 08:25:31 PM »
So here we go, all the Gongbeating let's all do 500 firecalls a year and show up to the opening of an envelope with lights and sirens people pass judgment on all.
  In case it has slipped your shortsighted attention spans, every member is a V-O-L-U-N-T-E-E-R. 
  And as such each member offers their time and skills for many varied and different reasons, thats right for different reasons!  Not every member wants to attend 67000 firecalls a year at all times of the day and night.  They all have different wants,needs and abilities to commit, and guess what that means?  They're different to you and I.
  So instead of gongbeating along, and trying to enforce your wants and beliefs and ostracizing people in the process, how about celebrating the fact that at any given time, people are not only just willing, but more importantly able to give time back to the community to assist it when its in need.
"Madness and chaos reign supreme. My work here is done"

Toast

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2006, 08:32:37 PM »
So here we go, all the Gongbeating let's all do 500 firecalls a year and show up to the opening of an envelope with lights and sirens people pass judgment on all.
  In case it has slipped your shortsighted attention spans, every member is a V-O-L-U-N-T-E-E-R. 
  And as such each member offers their time and skills for many varied and different reasons, thats right for different reasons!  Not every member wants to attend 67000 firecalls a year at all times of the day and night.  They all have different wants,needs and abilities to commit, and guess what that means?  They're different to you and I.
  So instead of gongbeating along, and trying to enforce your wants and beliefs and ostracizing people in the process, how about celebrating the fact that at any given time, people are not only just willing, but more importantly able to give time back to the community to assist it when its in need.

I believe the problem that people are discussing is the one about people NOT assisting the community when its in need, but only assisting when the job looks like a big or exciting one.

Reading comprehension!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2006, 09:03:42 PM »
I believe the problem that people are discussing is the one about people NOT assisting the community when its in need, but only assisting when the job looks like a big or exciting one.

Toast he only went to 5 calls :lol:
Images are copyright

Offline Smallflame

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2006, 09:02:12 AM »

I think what has been discussed, if you were concentrating, was that SOME volunteers decide to just leave the alarms, tree downs and animal rescues and run out for the 'real' jobs. There's always the ones who will not turn out to jobs in the early afternoon, then lowe and behold, the big one hits, and they're out there wanting to be the first on the appliance.

If you want to talk about giving time, it should be given without condition toward what the call is, and an effort should be made to attend training to keep skills up. No matter how much anyone thinks they know, they can still improve upon it.

There was no point made about those with busy schedules. Its fantastic that people take time out of busy lives to attend what they can. Its the people you KNOW for a fact are in the area, and just don't come down because they either know it all, or don't want to go along to 'just another alarm' that were the discussion point brought forward.

Timbo

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2006, 11:40:36 AM »

I think what has been discussed, if you were concentrating, was that SOME volunteers decide to just leave the alarms, tree downs and animal rescues and run out for the 'real' jobs. There's always the ones who will not turn out to jobs in the early afternoon, then lowe and behold, the big one hits, and they're out there wanting to be the first on the appliance.

If you want to talk about giving time, it should be given without condition toward what the call is, and an effort should be made to attend training to keep skills up. No matter how much anyone thinks they know, they can still improve upon it.

There was no point made about those with busy schedules. Its fantastic that people take time out of busy lives to attend what they can. Its the people you KNOW for a fact are in the area, and just don't come down because they either know it all, or don't want to go along to 'just another alarm' that were the discussion point brought forward.

Just another alarm:
1919072   07:21:21   04-10-06   MFS: RESPOND ALARM 22/092 04/10/06 07:21,MAGILL TRAINING CENTRE,GLEN STUART ROAD ,WOODFORDE, MAP 120 G 1 ,,FIP RECEPTION ENTRANCE,,31 202 205 206*CFSRES:

good enough reason to respond to all calls when you are available, and to NOT pick and choose

1926891   07:25:21   04-10-06   pearcexmi:respond magill training centre confirmed fire b risk - contact comcen via radio

PF_

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2006, 11:45:05 AM »
That would probably be for Glynde MFS, they dont have a choice on what to role too.

Timbo

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2006, 01:12:57 PM »
That would probably be for Glynde MFS, they dont have a choice on what to role too.

Athelstone CFS got called also - thats who I was refering to, and they had issues getting crew, and then got stopped called

1908870   07:25:34   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:24
1908871   07:25:32   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:24

1908870   07:27:38   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:26
1908871   07:27:36   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:26

1908870   07:30:36   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:29
1908871   07:30:34   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:29

1908870   07:44:26   04-10-06   ATHL: STOP CALL RECEIVED 04-10-06 07:43
1908871   07:44:25   04-10-06   ATHL: STOP CALL RECEIVED 04-10-06 07:43

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2006, 01:28:14 PM »
Also for SAAS (I think)

09:39:03 04-10-06 Notification only, the incident at Magill is all over, thank-you for your help and patience. 

07:51:53 04-10-06 Notification only major incident at the Magill Youth Training Centre. 33 patients, Plesae be on stand0by phase.

I believe this is a good example of how a incident can be different when you arrive.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2006, 01:36:45 PM »
So let me get the straight, you guys are only complaining about people who pick and choose their calls, fair enough your call.
  So then,  who are you and what are your qualifications to make that call against your fellow members?  How do you know 100% that there is not some mitigating reason as to why someone does not attend the station on the first page. And even if there isn't, is it really any of your business? That's why there is a Fire and Emergency Services Act, regulations, COSO's, Brigade constitutions etc. To manage these things, if a particular member causes you such concern and you feel it impacts on you, go to your Captain and name them, don't come whinging and whining about it to every one else under the sun, but i'm guessing (and only guessing) if these people were such a problem to your brigade, the Captain and management committee would have already done something about it, so really you're just peein in the wind and notching up another post count.

Timbo

« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2006, 01:46:11 PM »
So let me get the straight, you guys are only complaining about people who pick and choose their calls, fair enough your call.
  So then,  who are you and what are your qualifications to make that call against your fellow members?  How do you know 100% that there is not some mitigating reason as to why someone does not attend the station on the first page. And even if there isn't, is it really any of your business?

I think you will find the point of this thread was those picking and choosing because of the type of job (as presented on the pager), not just because, and not related to mitigating circumstances.  and no - it is no-ones business - this is a friendly discussion in a forum for exactly that - discussion

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2006, 02:08:45 PM »
 I'm glad then Mr T that we agree this is a friendly discussion, and at the end of the day it is really no ones business, therefore why is this thread here to start with?  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Timbo

« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2006, 03:19:36 PM »
I'm glad then Mr T that we agree this is a friendly discussion, and at the end of the day it is really no ones business, therefore why is this thread here to start with?  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dunno - Light entertainment?

PF_

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2006, 04:05:17 PM »
Gongy, are you the ex OMGWTF or the ex strikeathird, heavy rescue, corecutters?

Very similar posting type.

Some people have actually said they couldnt be bothered turning up to an alarm to members. 

MrT, okay didnt read the pager site to see Athelstone responded.

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2006, 04:28:53 PM »
Gongy, are you the ex OMGWTF or the ex strikeathird, heavy rescue, corecutters?

Very similar posting type.

Some people have actually said they couldnt be bothered turning up to an alarm to members. 

MrT, okay didnt read the pager site to see Athelstone responded.
  Um no definately not any of the aformentioned persons. But guessing probably have a similar low threshold for gongbeaters.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2006, 05:20:06 PM »

Athelstone CFS got called also - thats who I was refering to, and they had issues getting crew, and then got stopped called

1908870   07:25:34   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:24
1908871   07:25:32   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:24

1908870   07:27:38   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:26
1908871   07:27:36   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:26

1908870   07:30:36   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:29
1908871   07:30:34   04-10-06   ATHL: *CFSRES: MORE CREW REQUIRED RESPOND ATHELSTONE STATION 04-10-06 07:29

1908870   07:44:26   04-10-06   ATHL: STOP CALL RECEIVED 04-10-06 07:43
1908871   07:44:25   04-10-06   ATHL: STOP CALL RECEIVED 04-10-06 07:43

Be careful about commenting on the situation, based soley on what you see on the pager.

I think you might find the Stop call was not a "don't bother coming, it's all over " but "the incident is over, and we can be released"

Athelstone 34P was in attendance at this call.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Timbo

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2006, 05:38:50 PM »

Athelstone 34P was in attendance at this call.....

Pip

I know - I saw
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 05:50:22 PM by MrT »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2006, 05:48:01 PM »
Fire was confined to a single cell, and some staff and inmates with minor smoke inhalation :wink:
Images are copyright

PF_

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2006, 06:00:33 PM »
a 19 year old will be charged for the fire which left 10people in hospital.

From 10news

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2006, 06:05:20 PM »
a 19 year old will be charged for the fire which left 10people in hospital.

From 10news

And hes going direct to the Bighouse.Do not pass go do not collect $200 :-D :-D
Images are copyright

PF_

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2006, 06:15:58 PM »
 :lol: thats good.

Is magill youth training centre a juvi?

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2006, 06:30:20 PM »
Yes it is a juvy facility, but the suspect was an adult, serving time for juvenile offences.....

It is a bit of an anomaly in the Justice system (and certainly not unheard of)

But I doubt he will go back to Magill.......

But in relation to the alleged offences arising from today, he will be dealt with as an adult....

Pipster
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2006, 08:57:01 AM »
interesting that no further CFS resources went to that one, considering it was a second alarm in CFS area......

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2006, 10:20:20 AM »
Thats what happens when the MFS do your CRD?
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2006, 10:49:18 AM »
mmmm must be.....  :-o

anything