Author Topic: Sleep and fatigue study of CFS/SES  (Read 4935 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Sleep and fatigue study of CFS/SES
« on: October 01, 2006, 03:26:20 PM »
I got sent a survey being conducted by 3 students at Uni SA on the effect of CFS and SES on the volunteers' sleep.

The purpose of distributing this survey throughout the CFS/SES Volunteers is to get an understanding of how paid (regular) work and CFS/SES volunteer work influence subjective sleep, fatigue and performance levels...

Has anyone else received this survey?

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Sleep and fatigue study of CFS/SES
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 08:20:48 PM »
Haven't received anything.

Toast

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 08:26:43 PM »
Interesting survey. I hope that they got a good smattering of not only the busy brigades/units compared to the less busy, but also managed to give them to people who actually get up to go to calls during the night. They haven't in our brigade.

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 08:57:24 PM »
No did not get a copy,but lets look at this paper....Now if you attend a meeting(group/vfba/etc) and there are paid staff there and say the meeting starts at 2000hrs and ends at 2300 hrs you then drive home say 1.5hrs..as a volunteer you have to get up the next day do your normal job and the paid staff members gets time off and does not have to show up to work till later in the day now where is the logict in that??

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 09:18:37 PM »
as a vol you choose to attend the meeting (i know theres not much choice really, just stating a fact), the paid staff have to be there.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 08:51:21 PM »
YAWN...I received it :-D
Images are copyright

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 02:00:21 PM »
No did not get a copy,but lets look at this paper....Now if you attend a meeting(group/vfba/etc) and there are paid staff there and say the meeting starts at 2000hrs and ends at 2300 hrs you then drive home say 1.5hrs..as a volunteer you have to get up the next day do your normal job and the paid staff members gets time off and does not have to show up to work till later in the day now where is the logict in that??

And Blinky - if your employer sent you to do something after hours, would there not be conditions attached - i.e. time off in lieu, overtime etc (unless you are self employed and then you make the decisions).

Would be nice to see our staff be offered over time instead of having to take time off - but they are stuck in the political and financial management of government.

I applaud them for the extra hours they put in, volunteer for, where they are not paid, not recognised and like you and me many of them are also volunteers so they are well aware what we go through and the time commitments we give!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 02:09:08 PM »
Well I think we shozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 09:32:38 AM by Firefrog »
I love the smell of napalm in the morning,smells like,like........VICTORY

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 09:39:03 AM »
I have always been amazed at what CFS staff put up with. If they are the on call regional duty officer and get called to a big job at 2300 and it takes until 0700 to finish up, they are still expected to be on duty for their day shift. Or at least that is what I have seen happening.

Fair enough they will get some time off later, but the critical safety issue is fatigue when it happens.
Have others seen this kind of thing?

Need more regional staff!!!!

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 09:35:06 AM »

over here Bill, we are expected to travel 2.5hrs one way just to attend the meeting...so effectively, you spend 5hrs travelling and then your meeting time...I'm banging a video conferencing drum at present..I don't agree with having an extra 6-7hrs at the end of a working day...and then having to be at work at 8.30am the next day all bright eyed...

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 12:39:41 PM »
Received & Completed.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 09:46:03 AM »
Received & Completed.

Was it any good - did it ask any interesting or hard questions
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 02:28:26 PM »
Was it any good - did it ask any interesting or hard questions

Some Of The Questions Were Good.  It Went Into How Much Do You Get Called Out.  How Much Sleep Do You Normally Have, How Much Sleep Do You Get If You Attend A Call Out During The Night, Can You Get Back To Sleep Easily.  Do You Feel Tired At Work & Does It Affect Your Working Perormance.

anything