Author Topic: BA Operators  (Read 12687 times)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: BA Operators
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2005, 01:17:05 PM »
The best advise (it's also applicable to the Compartment course) hot shower. On the BA course, just prior to tea on Saturday - have a shower - it aids in relieving the body and makes Sunday a little easier. The other - drink, drink and drink - H2O of course and be relaxed.

As for eating - thats up to individuals, the story of heaving in your mask has been around now for 10 - 15 years - it has happened but when it did it was due to other reasons - drinking to much the night before and pre existing illness.

SO - enjoy it - thousands have done it before you, so it's safe, fun and a real eye opener - have no preconceived ideas and an open mind and you will come away full of new, exciting and wonderful knowledge - the instructors are first class, facilities first class and and you come away with a skill that is fantastic :-D
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

strikeathird

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2005, 12:51:25 AM »
I ate a heap! (Think altho worked my arse off, probably put on weight from all the great food!!!) Loved the course, and yea, it was great!!

Any latest mate, you done the course yet ?

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2005, 11:20:13 AM »
Any latest mate, you done the course yet ?

Nope Level 2 Next Month (1 Day Course As I Have Down The BFF1 Course.

Once That Is Out Of The Way I Will Be Doing My BA First Chance I Get.l

Good times

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2005, 07:17:11 PM »
Good luck, its well worth it

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 08:58:58 PM »
I was there when a 'heave ho' happened in the BA mask, was 10 years ago, but I still have a chuckle about it
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

strikeathird

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 09:38:51 PM »
Hahaha...

I would hate to see the repurcussions of that incident!!

I would have left my mask on untill that person had vacated the area, and cleaned his/her mask thoroughly!!

:lol:

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2005, 09:24:49 AM »
nasty, nasty.....

i bet it would have sent a few other participants green as well!!!

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2005, 02:48:30 PM »
Update - at the last State Training Meeting it was reported that BFF1 is the only requirement for BA (I guess doing away with the 12 months service thing?)

They were delivering the BFF1 Prevent Injury module as part of the CABA course as it is now a prerequiste and all the members of the service who completed level one prior to the intro of BFF1 are unlikely to have it at this stage. I believe that this is intended as an interim measure and that it will be necessary to complete this prior to the CABA course down the track.

Enjoy the course  :-D
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline Steveg

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2005, 06:31:05 AM »
well, i finally got to do the course. Hard work, but great fun all the same.
they must have done away with 12 months in the service as one of the people on out corse has only been in 9 months..
i must say, the caterers at brukunga are incredible. the hardest part of the course was trying to limit how much i ate on the sunday!!! :-)

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2005, 07:05:00 AM »
Good to here you enjoyed the course. Now you know why peopel like to do courses at STC...

strikeathird

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2005, 09:29:25 AM »
I would live there if it was possible.  The foods a treat !!!

Offline Sam

• View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005, 09:37:37 PM »
Food was nice :) and lots of it... most people lose weight from sweat, i actually gained on B.A! Anyway in our brigade we normally suffer during daytime for RCR members, even though we have another whole truck of non-rcr! But as you said the State says the limits, and until someone in our brigade steps out, none of us younger ones will get a chance and WE ARE LOOSING MEMBERS OVER THIS!!!! That is one downside of CFS i think. Stopping someone from wanting to do a course. I understand more training comes back on the brigade in this situation obviously.

strikeathird

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2005, 10:03:56 PM »
I had never heard of this before..  So you can't actually do the course, because REgion or CFS say you have the required amount of operators????

How daft are they !!!  What happens if none of those operators are in area...??    Bl00dy hell, it makes you wonder sometimes !

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2005, 11:13:17 PM »
Sam's brigade isn't the only one having trouble with meeting the SFEC's. The CFS claims if you meet your SFEC's for training, you can't get anyone else trained, because other brigades need the training... that fair enough until they start cancelling courses for lack of numbers... :( (see the other thread)...
On a different note, Steveg, now you've done BA, try and get on a CFB course, if you liked CABA, you'll love compartment fire :)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2005, 07:37:00 PM »
hahahah

if your brigade meets the requirements of the SFECs (ie; numbers of BA operator, RCR operators etc..) then nup, you cant get any more trained... of course this might be able to be changed according to how good your GTO is...

however hopefully for you SAM you might find that some of the older members holding the positions are otu of date, and therefore that should open up a spot, you shouldnt have to wait until they leave the brigade completely...

Offline pete

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2006, 11:32:41 PM »
there should be more