Author Topic: CABA Accreditation  (Read 14000 times)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
CABA Accreditation
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:32:12 AM »
Anyone who has a CABA refresher coming up make sure you get in before you expire or you will be sent home.

STC is clamping down on wearers being out of date prior to refresher courses.

There is some upskilling in the current courses, and instructors are focussing on search techniques,primary/secondary including confined space,casualty handling,guideline tying,rolling hose lines in to a job etc.

A one day course to get you up there and reaccredited but well worth it

Consider this a HEADS UP :-D
Images are copyright

Offline 2090

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: CABA Accreditation
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 12:19:47 PM »
Good. Its the way things should be.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 03:26:10 PM »
Old thread but our captain who i mentioned previously was 2kg overweight for last months re accred went up on saturday only to be sent home because he was 6 days overdue?? we've now lost a good BA operator (which we have only a precious few) until next April which is the next available full course. :|
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 03:37:12 PM »
Old thread but our captain who i mentioned previously was 2kg overweight for last months re accred went up on saturday only to be sent home because he was 6 days overdue?? we've now lost a good BA operator (which we have only a precious few) until next April which is the next available full course. :|

I would be speaking to Mark about that, bit unfair but it was mentioned on Saturday that they were having trouble filling courses :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 03:45:39 PM »
Apparently there is no flexibility if your 24hrs overdue then it's the full course. It's a bit filtered because he'd done the pre course work and everything and got up there and was sent home!! And he did mention that out of 74 course placements in the last month onl 20 or something had been filled because people didn't show?? My numbers could be wrong though.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 01:09:24 PM »
Its a little harsh and there needs to be some lean way its very hard to get a on a course in the first place and to introduce these new rules is some what silly. I can understand if your say 60days over due but to be 6 or 20 days is some waht madness and will only push members away from wearing the sets...So who made up this rule as I have not seen any paperwork or memo come from CFS TRAINING....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 01:25:04 PM »
There has to be a deadline somewhere, whether its 24hrs or 60 days...  What happens if people come in 61 days afterwards, are they going to complain that it needs to be less strict?

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 01:29:11 PM »
Well lets make the deadline 45 days,but there need to be some consultation with all CABA brigade's before it comes in...I dont know about you guys but I am sick of all these rules that you are only informed of when you show up at a course.if the people at training can follow the flow of information how are we to know... I am not knocking the team that do training but time we all had the information before we got there....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 02:06:26 PM »
It's not a rule - It's a policy. Check your Training and administration policy guidelines. It clearly states the shelf life for a BA course is 5 years, at which time a re-accred is due. 5 years is 5 years, not 5 years and 40 odd days.

The problem with it being hard to get on a course is that TAS shows the course as being full and then people don't turn up and don't bother to inform anyone so a replacement can be found.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 02:57:26 PM »
It's not a rule - It's a policy. Check your Training and administration policy guidelines. It clearly states the shelf life for a BA course is 5 years, at which time a re-accred is due. 5 years is 5 years, not 5 years and 40 odd days.

The problem with it being hard to get on a course is that TAS shows the course as being full and then people don't turn up and don't bother to inform anyone so a replacement can be found.

Well really whats the problem?  There has to be a deadline and you have 5 years to organise yourself onto a refresher course.  Maybe you should be filling in a nomination form when you have done 4 years that way you are almost guaranteed not to miss out.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 03:20:33 PM »

Well really whats the problem?  There has to be a deadline and you have 5 years to organise yourself onto a refresher course.  Maybe you should be filling in a nomination form when you have done 4 years that way you are almost guaranteed not to miss out.

At last! someone who makes sense....... :-D

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 03:30:59 PM »
 :roll:
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Smallflame

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 03:34:36 PM »
And he did mention that out of 74 course placements in the last month onl 20 or something had been filled because people didn't show?? My numbers could be wrong though.

If that was the case, they should start calling people in our group! People in our brigade alone would drop anything at the last minute to get on a course...

Offline Big Yellow Gongbeater

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 04:28:58 PM »

Geez you vollies got it hard, 2kg overweight ahh well have heard along the grapevine now that there is an appeal process for CFS vollies who are over their BMI (not advertised though).  If you disagree with the BMI because you are over BMI 35 you can appeal and go and have a heart/lung function test at the CFS quack. Rumour has it that a vollie from north of Adelaide was the first to appeal and was successful and has just done the re-cred.  Or you can just lose weight ya fat b#$%&&d's and get fit  :lol: (just jokin don't have a cow or burst into tears)
"Madness and chaos reign supreme. My work here is done"

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 04:35:34 PM »
I know regional hq send a reminder letter out when your nearly due for a reaccred.  Anyone know when this is?  Maybe it should be done at the 4 year mark and again at the 4.5 year mark.

Also, having not done a refresher before, is there a need for it too be done at a training centre?  If a suitable location can be found within the group why cant this be used?  Would make it easier for those vollies that dont have a lot of time to spare.
Compton CFS Website

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »
I know regional hq send a reminder letter out when your nearly due for a reaccred.  Anyone know when this is?  Maybe it should be done at the 4 year mark and again at the 4.5 year mark.

Also, having not done a refresher before, is there a need for it too be done at a training centre?  If a suitable location can be found within the group why cant this be used?  Would make it easier for those vollies that dont have a lot of time to spare.

Ring Garth at STC and amke that suggestion :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline 2090

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 05:02:47 PM »

Exactly. If you can't get yourself together in five years, then you really need to have a hard look at yourself. 5 Year BA duration and BMI of 35, what is wrong with these? There needs to be limits in place.  Make it 5 years, 2 days.. Wont the people at 3 days complain? Lift the BMI to 36, those who hit 37 will still complain.

Now, if you nominate for a refresher course, get on one and its canned or something out of your control, which sends you over the 5 years, then that is the CFS's issue and should not impact the volunteer.

Edit: Spelling/Grammar
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:38:27 PM by 2090 »

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 05:06:04 PM »

Exactly. If you can't get yourself together in five years, there you really need to have a hard look at yourself. 5 Year BA duration and BMI of 35, what is wrong with these? There need to be limits in place.  Make it 5 years, 2 days.. Wont the people at 3 days complain? Lift the BMI to 36, those who hit 37, will still complain.

Now, if you nominate for a refresh course, get on one and its canned or something out of your control, which sends you over the 5 years, then that is the CFS's issue and should not impact the volunteer.

Nailed it!
Compton CFS Website

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 05:47:30 PM »
Last year, one of the members of my brigade had to undertake BA Reaccred...problem was he had an injury, and was cleared by his doctor around 6 weeks before his 5 years was up....BUT there were no BA reacred run during the subsequent 6 weeks.  The next one that was run was the day after his 5 years was up.

Initially he was told he could not go on the reaccred, and would have to do a full course

After much to-ing & fro-ing, he was allowed to go onto the course...only to find another participant who was several months past reaccred date, apparently rang up a few days before the course, and was told "no problems, just come along" and did.

If you are going to set a standard, then set one..if you are going to allow some exceptions (eg such as the one outlined) then state what those exceptions are going to be....and then stick to the standard!!!

Nothing worse than having the goal posts moved....    :-(

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 07:21:52 PM »
and we all know how far they do move......
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 07:27:53 PM »
All ya need to do is blow off a cylinder at training one night dont you, not that difficult. 

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 09:00:58 PM »
No Ryan.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 11:24:33 PM »
No what?

By expired and not being able to do a refresher does that mean their 5 years is up or they havent blown off a cylinder in the timeframe you have to blow a cylinder in.  Couple of months isnt it?

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2006, 11:27:25 PM »
No what?

By expired and not being able to do a refresher does that mean their 5 years is up or they havent blown off a cylinder in the timeframe you have to blow a cylinder in.  Couple of months isnt it?

CABA Reaccreditation is a day course which is really just a CABA course with the scheiße taken out and a going over of the basics.

Not having done one anyone wanting correct me on that go for it.
Compton CFS Website

Offline 2090

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 12:16:32 AM »
You do the inital 2.5 day course, then you are *meant* to blow a cylinder whilst doing BA related training atleast once every three months. Then after 5 years is up, youre meant to go back and do a single day refresh course.

The reason for this is that its quite possible in certain areas and not wear BA for that long.

anything