Author Topic: Branch  (Read 13110 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Branch
« on: October 27, 2006, 10:52:51 PM »
In our brigade we only have rather old brass 38 & 64 branches. I was wondering what model and brand most other brigades use that are less thatn 2 or so years old.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Re: Branch
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 10:57:31 PM »
We use Proteks for our sidelines.  Not sure of the model but it goes from 19L to about 150L.  They are small, lightweight and easy to use.

For the 38mm and 64mm hose we use an Akron nozzle which im not sure of the model again but goes from something like 175L to 450L?

Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:23:07 PM »
We have an Akron for our 64 / 38 mm line.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 2090

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 12:46:07 AM »
We have a nice range of Akrons, TFT's, both auto and not, as well as the older twist style 25mm branch, and a couple of large old brass 38/64mm. In fact I think we might even have every type of branch in service over the past years.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 10:36:14 AM »
We only have Akron on sidelines. everything else is old brass which you twist to switch on. this limits the members hwo are trained in CFB.

Offline 2090

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
We only have Akron on sidelines. everything else is old brass which you twist to switch on. this limits the members hwo are trained in CFB.
Why do you still have these? Are you unable to order new ones in?

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 04:30:26 PM »
We use Protek  360, 362, 366, Brass ones have been put on the shelf in the shed.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 05:01:54 PM »
Well it has been sugested many times but it never seems to happen.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 05:06:37 PM »
I am shocked to hear there are still TB25's in service. They are heavy on water not very easy to use and just plain old.........Surely a shut off branch is both affordable and much safer. A fog is easy to achieve and much faster than with the old brass stuff. I want maximum protection fast if I need it.

Protecs are made by Akron and a very good branch. Akrons are ofcourse the rolls royce and can't be beaten in my opinion.

Please beg your equipment officer to get rid of the brass, It's good to keep them as spares on the truck, because you can't break them but don't use them for day to day ops.....

My 2 cents :-)

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 05:46:28 PM »
How many have handles on their branches?

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 05:52:57 PM »
If you are asking about the ones we have only sidelines. the others are Brass about 40 cm long and have a twist on off.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 06:20:34 PM »
How many have handles on their branches?

We removed the handle off our large Akron branch, so it is better utilised for compartment fire fighting.....I can't remember the last time we had to use it for any fire.....!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Sam

• View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 06:34:39 PM »
We have all the handles removed on our 25mm rubber, and also on our akrons. It is better ergonomics and easier to do Compartment tricks with. I think they reccommend that you remove the handles?

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 06:54:04 PM »
I have seen some brigades jsut hack the handles off,they did not know you could remove the screws or better still buy them without the handles....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 09:37:37 PM »
We use Akron's and when you dial up 50 l/pm for mopup with 2000 litres of water,it will last over 1 1/2 hours, not bad when you have to conserve water.

Anyone with TB15 and TB25 needs to get their equipment officers up to speed on some real gear :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006, 04:55:03 AM »
Now that would be nice if we all had the same gear but if only we all had the same money to buy things.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Crankster 34

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006, 08:36:45 AM »
NOWA have a very good special on 25mm TFT branches this month at $550, check the back page of the Volunteer if you want more details.

Get rid of those thirsty TB25's and get some decent branches, your members will thank you for it.
Crankster on scene, you can take a stop...

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 08:58:26 AM »
JEEEZ.... back in the darker dark ages...

Offline 2090

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 12:31:28 PM »
I have mixed feelings about the handles. They are great for rural jobs in goat country, yet they can be a bit large and clumsy feeling for internal work. They shouldnt make a huge difference for gas cooling techniques as long as you take the time to set the branch correctly.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2006, 10:59:04 AM »
Brigades remove the handles to better compartment techniques, but how many actually regulally train in the techniques? - (Be realistic, as i'm assuming it wouldn't be all that often).. So taking the handles off would probably make little difference - I see more benifits with them staying on - & With regular training CFB techniques can be just as easily managed with the handles.

Back to the branches.. - The Brass should be removed, they are old, outdated, and in all honestly you would be safer and alot better equipped with instantaneous on/off branches which easy pattern change. -Even cheapies would better suit.

I prefer Akrons, but have had no problems with TFT's, and recently trialling Protek #366's. - I prefer the ability to control flow rate manually.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2006, 06:44:31 PM »
So how many brigades get them serviced??? we used to send ours to a guy at greenhill.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 12:14:05 PM »

We removed the handle off our large Akron branch, so it is better utilised for compartment fire fighting.....I can't remember the last time we had to use it for any fire.....!

Pip

We have our handle on still and we find it is better for compartment techniques that way as you can use the handle as a stop.  Like you setup the branch to the 3D pattern then rest the handle against the wrist.  Then when you go between the three spots 3D, Paint & Pencil you can always find your way back to 3D by twisting back till the handle is against your wrist again.  Works well anyway.
Compton CFS Website

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2006, 06:11:28 PM »
I think the whole taking handles off for compartment is just someone thinking they were important, they should be left on as they are for general purpose use not just compartment.

You may still have to use your 64mm branches for grassies or set up a ground monitor etc so its better to leave them on.

I wouldn't use those cheapy TFT's as they are just that cheapies.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 05:24:57 AM »
Nothing wrong with TFT'S....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2006, 08:49:17 AM »
Interesting to know...never knew they needed servicing.  Would quite a few down here that probaly have never been serviced.
Compton CFS Website