Author Topic: I'M SAFE  (Read 11871 times)

Offline Tone7

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
I'M SAFE
« on: October 28, 2006, 08:53:31 PM »
What do people think about this checklist???

Am I fit to attend this incident?

The I’M SAFE
CHECKLIST

I – Illness/Injury – Am I Sufficiently Recovered?

M – Medication – Am I under the effect of any medication?

S – Stress – Am I under severe stress from work or personal worries?

A – Alcohol/Drugs – Am I under the influence or badly hung over?

F - Fatigue – Am I tired and not adequately rested?

E – Expertise – Am I currently competent?

If you’re NOT fit to go,
It’s OK to say “NO”!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: I'M SAFE
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 11:09:53 PM »

The I’M SAFE
CHECKLIST

If you’re NOT fit to go,
It’s OK to say “NO”!

I would hope that some of the people ARE under the effect of their medication...otherwise, for many, there is no point in taking their medication, if it doesn't control whatever it is they are taking their medication for.

And before anyone starts saying those people shouldn't be on the fireground, there are many people who take medication for a diagnosed condition, which is appropriately dealt with by medication, and as a result, are able to work safely on the fireground........

You don't necessarily know those people take medication, because it doesn't pose a problem for them, or others!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Tone7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 12:15:24 AM »

The I’M SAFE
CHECKLIST

If you’re NOT fit to go,
It’s OK to say “NO”!

I would hope that some of the people ARE under the effect of their medication...otherwise, for many, there is no point in taking their medication, if it doesn't control whatever it is they are taking their medication for.

And before anyone starts saying those people shouldn't be on the fireground, there are many people who take medication for a diagnosed condition, which is appropriately dealt with by medication, and as a result, are able to work safely on the fireground........

You don't necessarily know those people take medication, because it doesn't pose a problem for them, or others!!

Pip

True Pip,

More to the point of the warnings of prescription medications eg, do not operate heavy machinery, or the other one this may cause drowsiness dont kown of any other warnings...

Offline rusty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 09:22:42 AM »

perhaps  "Am I experiencing any adverse effects from medication?"

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 03:09:35 PM »
Then again some people might tak wahat is a perfectly normal medication and due to their current situation it has an abnormal affect.  I have had Cafeen  do that to me.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 03:14:12 PM »
Has anyone seen the Panadol advert, promoting the Vol. Fire Fighter (from an interstate RFS) - taking panadol to get thru and recover from the back pain associated with fighting the bush fires and going to calls?

Offline Smallflame

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 03:23:47 PM »

The I’M SAFE
CHECKLIST

If you’re NOT fit to go,
It’s OK to say “NO”!

Pip

I think what they're talking about in this case is things like  cold and flu medication which contain antihisthamines and psuedoephidrine, things that affect the mental state, as well as the body's ability to function... Have you ever seen "Do not drive or operate heavy machinery" on packs? Call me crazy, but I would consider an appliance, and most things on one as heavy machinery. I can't imagine being on scene at an incident after tranquilizers, heavy painkillers or copious amounts of Demazin :|

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 03:34:13 PM »
Is this not part of the OHS section in BFF1?
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 09:47:45 PM »
Has anyone seen the Panadol advert, promoting the Vol. Fire Fighter (from an interstate RFS) - taking panadol to get thru and recover from the back pain associated with fighting the bush fires and going to calls?

I have seen that ad, and if they are taking anymore than two Panadol they are to notify the OIC who is supposed to record it.

I recall a memo from Judy about that very subject ill see if i can dig it up :wink:

Images are copyright

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 09:56:54 PM »
Is this not part of the OHS section in BFF1?

Form Memory the "IM SAFE" checklist is from BFF1? or at least i think it was last November when i did mine
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 09:58:09 PM »
I whole heatedly agree with this acronym... No one should respond to an incident if they aren't fully healthy and able to handle it...

Unfortunately in my brigade, if everyone followed the IMSAFE acronym, we wouldn't get a crew for most of our jobs... (Stress, fatigue and expertise being the main killers...)

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 07:35:20 AM »

I have and I think that it's the worst ad possible...I can see what they are trying to portray but it could be seen as saying that we go on the fireground even if not fit!

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 06:49:05 PM »
But was he a real firefighter?????
blinky bill
my view only

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 09:33:06 PM »
......do not operate heavy machinery, or the other one this may cause drowsiness dont kown of any other warnings...

I have never heard of the acronym before, but I like it alot. Will show it to others within my Unit. :-D

The only issue I have is that it can be limiting....for example, if you donate blood you should not operate heavy machinery for 24 to 48 hours...this includes heavy physical exercise.

Now how will the other crew feel if you knock back the incident call because of a blood donation...."ohhhhh did the needle hurt"  :-D type comments....until they understand the medical advice.

But th acronym is a great memory jogger.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Tone7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 09:49:55 PM »
Its to cover ones back side the "im safe" message. 

So at the end of the day if something happens and your brigade or unit makes it policy or something and you attended the call and something happens... Have something to come back on. Blah blah you know the story.

plus it does give people a good reminder if its stuck up around the place that hey should i really be on this call out since i just gave birth 24 hrs ago... hehehehe

People only have one thing in mind when that pager goes off and its not thinking about themself at time. 

I'll put my hand up and say i have done it many of times, but learning.