Author Topic: GRN FUNCTIONS.  (Read 29231 times)

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: GRN FUNCTIONS.
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2006, 06:34:47 PM »
Cam add it to your wish list mate :roll:
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2006, 08:58:33 PM »
Cam add it to your wish list mate :roll:

Dont have the need for it though...We go to MFS area we change to their talk group and vice verca.

Although they can give us the $3000 its worth in cash.  :-D

Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2006, 07:29:51 AM »
Should definitley have 2 portables per appliance if your an EMA brigade, we do.

If the officer has one then you still need one for the BA crew or pump operator etc.

Screw listening to CFS though in MFS area, you have enough to think about, i thought CFS brought a thing out saying we must change to MFS talkgroup and not monitor CFS talkgroups.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2006, 07:45:50 AM »
although SOCC are not allowed to tell CFS appliances to change to MFS talkgroup,,,, any appliance responding into there area should do so, and tell SOCC that they are. upon returning to CFS area, the radio should go back to either regional talkgroup to advise SOCC of the appliances return or the loval TG if a station is open, to advise them.

there is no need to listen to CFS tg while at an incident in MFS area, unless the brigades have there own private arrangements.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2006, 08:42:02 AM »
I just thought of something what happens if you need to talk to SES units at an incident now that would be hard as they have completely different radios to CFS & MFS
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2006, 08:44:26 AM »
Robert, it's called a multi agency talk group.......

Clumsy process of getting it set up, but once it has been set up,  all services are able to chat to each other on the same talk group.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2006, 08:47:07 AM »
use the CB robbo  :lol:

Offline rusty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2006, 11:22:37 AM »
although SOCC are not allowed to tell CFS appliances to change to MFS talkgroup,,,, any appliance responding into there area should do so, and tell SOCC that they are.

WTF?? Why on earth would SOCC NOT be allowed to tell CFS apps to go to MFS T/G? It's SOP to change, so where's the problem? Might be difficult for borderline calls to know whose area it is until arrival, but for the others....

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2006, 02:30:17 PM »
Robert, it's called a multi agency talk group.......

Clumsy process of getting it set up, but once it has been set up,  all services are able to chat to each other on the same talk group.....

Pip

Problem with Multi Agency Talkgroups is that by the time they get setup you are already at the scene and its easier to walk over to them and talk to them.  I can see them being used at a search or something but not an MVA.  Not often anyway.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2006, 03:05:54 PM »
Hence read "Clumsy to set up"

It would be much easier if a defined geographical area had a "default" multi agency talk group - one that is defined, and distributed to all relevant agencies....so if you respond with another agency to a particular area,  all services know to change to a specific talkgroup....that would certainly be a benefit.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2006, 03:39:40 PM »
Hence read "Clumsy to set up"

It would be much easier if a defined geographical area had a "default" multi agency talk group - one that is defined, and distributed to all relevant agencies....so if you respond with another agency to a particular area,  all services know to change to a specific talkgroup....that would certainly be a benefit.....

Pip

I understand (hearsay) that organisation within the riverland area automatically go to a multi-agency talkgroup and if required one of the headquarters will officially arrange the talkgroup while vehicles are mobile.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2006, 04:14:49 PM »
the easiest way to fix the issue of CFS/MFS not being able to communicate with SES would be to supply all SES units with a CFS/MFS GRN portable.

Although setting up a multi agency TG is easy, this would be quick and fool proof for the resources...

Sturt SES have one and use it to communicate with CFS when dual responding, to give mobile times, arrival etc...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2006, 06:01:43 AM »
All the SES vehicles have CFS GRN's mounted out our way..... Has proven to be most useful (depending on who has the microphone). Nothing better than being able to talk to all the people coming to help.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2006, 08:31:11 AM »
South Coast don't have one and if they do they never use it??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2006, 11:14:23 AM »
South Coast don't have one and if they do they never use it??

I believe South Coast SES, like majority of SES Units, have only the multi-agency and SES talkgroups programmed into the GRN radios. Most SES Units have multiple handheld radios & spare batteries at the LHQ. They are allocated to people in the vehicles as the vehicle leaves.

SES have 16 multi-agency talkgroups available, one for Adel airport, one for parafield airport, one for sea rescue and ten for state disaster.

Seems a pity that procedures is stopping the use of multi-agency talkgroups for incidents which is alot easier than swapping physical radios.

The physical radios are all the same, just programmed differently.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2006, 11:25:32 AM »

The protables are anyway.....

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2006, 11:30:25 AM »
There was a GRN course run, that everyone was supposed to (had to?) do before they were allowed to use the radios...

BUT, there was a new course that was coming, so many Groups stopped running the old course, as there seemed that there was no point in running an old course, when there was new course about to be launched...

perhaps it has arrived?

The old course was created by Telstra when they had the contract for running the SAGRN network. Part of the contract was that all operators had undergone the Telstra course before picking up the microphone. Like that was adhered to.....

When the original contract expired, the copyright on the training materials & what each agency could teach was removed.

So SES have revamped the course into a two day course as an interim before a new compentency based course is created. SAPOL have deemed that all agenicies teach some aspects (eg busy tones, etc) to all members.

Most probably the CFS has done the same thing.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2006, 11:38:53 AM »

The protables are anyway.....

What radio models are in use at CFS for GRN ?

SES have MCS2000 in vehicles/LHQ and MTS2000 as handhelds. Public transport are using the same. I thought they were all the same ?

PS. Interesting that a few months ago the auction yards had large quantities of the above model radios for sale. Private companies that use trunking radio systems must be upgrading.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2006, 11:50:17 AM »
CFS use the MCS2000 MKII has a knob to scroll through all the channels.
SES " " " "     " " MKIII which has the keypad on the face.

(I think the MKII, MKIII bit is right... might be MKI, MKII... Brains not working well today.)

Edit: Corrected spelling
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 12:25:22 PM by Mike »

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2006, 12:06:11 PM »
There was a GRN course run, that everyone was supposed to (had to?) do before they were allowed to use the radios...

BUT, there was a new course that was coming, so many Groups stopped running the old course, as there seemed that there was no point in running an old course, when there was new course about to be launched...

perhaps it has arrived?

The old course was created by Telstra when they had the contract for running the SAGRN network. Part of the contract was that all operators had undergone the Telstra course before picking up the microphone. Like that was adhered to.....

When the original contract expired, the copyright on the training materials & what each agency could teach was removed.

So SES have revamped the course into a two day course as an interim before a new compentency based course is created. SAPOL have deemed that all agenicies teach some aspects (eg busy tones, etc) to all members.

Jeepers...a two day course     :-o      The old GRN course was only a 3 hour course !!!!

What is involved in the two days?

Pip

Offline 2090

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2006, 12:13:06 PM »
CFS use the MCS2000 MKII has a know to scroll through all the channels.

(I think the MKII, MKIII bit is right... might be MKI, MKII... Brains not working well today.)

Ours have a keypad... (CFS) :?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2006, 12:18:33 PM »
CFS use the MCS2000 MKII has a know to scroll through all the channels.

Ours have a keypad... (CFS) :?

No, SES have a keypad... CFS has no keypad... :)

Offline 2090

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2006, 01:26:07 PM »
Yes... The ones in my (CFS) brigade have a keypad on the face...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2006, 01:38:58 PM »
Then they're not the 'Standard' CFS radio my friend....

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2006, 01:59:19 PM »

I think you're talking at cross purposes.  Here's pics of the "standard" CFS issue GRN radios:
http://users.chariot.net.au/~mattb/scan/cfs.htm

and what's the problem with requesting a MA TG?

anything