Author Topic: Dedicated Rescue Appliances  (Read 26230 times)

Offline Ryan

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Dedicated Rescue Appliances
« on: November 07, 2006, 05:20:39 PM »
Just to neaten up the forums since were getting into a dedicated rescue discussion in the new hypothetical and it is a worthy topid to discusss, we can discuss it here! :-)

How many dedicated resuce appliances are left?

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Re: Dedicated Rescue Appliances
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 05:22:50 PM »
Like i said in the other thread is it possible to build a decent rescue & urban appliance without sacrificing either service.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 05:25:55 PM »
It seems to works well for the MFS with their rescue pumpers.  I think you just need to create a bit more locker space to fit everything in. 

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 05:27:22 PM »
But are the MFS rescue/pumps heavy rescue?

Im thinking maybe 204 is the only heavy rescue?  Am i wrong?
Compton CFS Website

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 05:28:38 PM »
sorry mate I got no idea.  All I know is that the MFS/CFS RCR gear appliances seem to manage okay with both roles covered.  IM not in an RCR brigade so dont know if there is any issues maybe someone in the know can fill in detail.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 05:34:09 PM »
If you want dedicated Heavy Rescue vehicles, then look at the new SES trucks. For example, Onkaparinga SES is part of Oakbank / Balhannah CFS brigade and have two SES vehicles in the shed.

Why re-create the egg when you have something designed with volunteer input that works well ??
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 05:54:24 PM »

There are 9 dedicated rescue appliances in service (according to the CFS Promo unit website):
Aldinga Beach Rescue
Blackwood Rescue
Dublin Rescue
Kadina Rescue
Lobethal Rescue
Naracoorte Rescue
Stirling Rescue
Waikerie Rescue, and
Yankalilla Rescue

I'm a fan of dedicated rescue trucks.  You can fit so much more in them, and your rescue resource will not end up being plumbed into a house for 3 hours...
(I note a case recently where Mt Barker had their Pumper and Rescue at a shed fire in Wistow, and needed to get a COQ from Meadows, in turn leaving Meadows with no rescue resource...)

I'm even going to suggest that smaller rescue trucks (not dual cab ones) are better, as you can respond the rescue truck immediately with 3 people,and respond a second truck for fire cover and extra crew. (Rather than having to wait a few extra minutes to get a full crew for a crewcab rescue truck)...

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 06:02:22 PM »
Dont know how you would call BLACKWOOD a dedicated rescue as its part of the cafs appaliance,stand alone rescues are not everyones cup of tea. A pumper/rescue may work in some city areas where back up is closer but out of the CBD you have to travel just to get to the job and may be involved longer than a city rescue unit due to time it takes to reach the job. You also may have to wait half the day for police crash to arrive or what ever....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 06:14:39 PM »
Blinky, are you saying you like Pumper/Rescues, or dislike them?

Blackwood CAFS is a different truck to their rescue, and the rescue carries no water according the promo unit website.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 06:36:18 PM »
http://users.chariot.net.au/~blkwdcfs/appliances.htm
From the web site
Isuzu Dual-cab Rescue Appliance. It is fitted with a Darley mid-mount pump, hosereel, breathing apparatus and 1400 litres of water allowing it to perform normal firefighting duties but it also carries a Positive Pressure Fan for ventilation at structure fires and Hydraulic Heavy Rescue Equipment for extrication at motor vehicle accidents.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 07:40:06 PM »
Pumper/rescues have there place but I would have to say that my own view is for a dedicated rescue unit....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline 2090

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 07:57:28 PM »
Take a look at Blackwoods appliance. There is no way known that that applaince could it the same amount of stowage as a dedicated rescue applaince. I assume that by dedicated rescue appliance, we are talking one without water or a water pump.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 09:12:57 PM »

There are 9 dedicated rescue appliances in service (according to the CFS Promo unit website):
Aldinga Beach Rescue
Blackwood Rescue
Dublin Rescue
Kadina Rescue
Lobethal Rescue
Naracoorte Rescue
Stirling Rescue
Waikerie Rescue, and
Yankalilla Rescue

Ahm...when we refer to "Rescue"  it is a callsign, not an absolute indication that is carries only rescue gear.....

Aldinga Beach, Kadina, Lobethal (actual an SES vehicle, but crewed by CFS), Stirling, Waikerie & Yank appliances, as far as I know, carry no water.  Dublin Rescue is a Toyota Landcruiser Troupie.

Blackwood's appliance has the callsign "Blackwood Rescue" but carries water.

Barker Rescue carries water, as does Naracoorte Rescue, as well as their Rescue gear.......(and both are also medium pumpers....)     Confused yet?   :-)

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 2090

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 09:33:54 PM »
Pipster, CFS_Firey appears to have attempted to single out the dedicated rescue appliances, hence leaving Barker rescue out. Although he did miss Blackwood.

Where is the pump on Naracoorte rescue? Not trying to be smart or anything, I just cant understand where it is from the pictures of it on the Promo website? Is it hidden behind a locker?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 11:16:30 PM »
My bad...
I actually looked at the callsign and whether it had a  "Water Capacity"... Blackwood and  Naracoorte Rescues don't carry any water according to the promo site...
Thanks for clearing that up... Now back to the discussion.... We have dedicated rural fire fighting trucks, why can't we have dedicated Rescue trucks?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 07:09:59 AM »
from my understanding, Blackwood Rescue is a light pumper that carries there rescue gear, hence it is regularly tied up at grassfires, house fires, alarms, etc.... good management of a resource.

blackwood 24 (the CAFS unit) is the brigades second seperate appliance

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 07:42:42 AM »
Naracoorte Rescue doesnt carry any water...well maybe drinking water.

Unless your trying to hide something from us bill?
Compton CFS Website

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »
It really depends on what brigades are in your surrounding area. If you are the only brigade for a long while then a dedicated rescue truc soundes reasonable because it can cut the people out then leave the fire cover appliance to clean up. Bt if you are a brigade that has a lot of close brigades say Stirling they could use a rescue pumper because there are resources that can fill the gap.

plus brigades with Pumper rescues should be careful not to tie them up at fires that dont require rescue gear.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 08:18:51 AM »
would have thought its pretty much the opposite actually bittenyakka;

brigades with there neighbours further away would be better suited with a pumprescue as backup is further away, and thus firecover would be further away...

whereas if other resources are nice and close it would be quicker for a fire cover appliance to arrived also.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 08:38:15 AM »
medevac I think that BWD use the 24 for grass fires and alarms and BWD rescue is a backup or used for these calls when bwd 24 is out of area.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 08:50:15 AM »
yeh mate i understand that 24 is blakcwoods primary response for all fire/alarm responses, however rescue quite regularly goes as backup, and commits at these jobs, leaving there rescue area uncovered (especially since eden are no longer heavy rescue)...

chances are also high that if blackwood rescue is commited at a fire, then eden pumper will be also along with there RIG...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 09:01:52 AM »
But are the MFS rescue/pumps heavy rescue?

Im thinking maybe 204 is the only heavy rescue?  Am i wrong?

Yes the are all the "9" trucks carry holmatro cutters spreaders, rams with the pump and two reels that are on a sliding shelf out of the rear locker.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 09:24:59 AM »
would have thought its pretty much the opposite actually bittenyakka;

brigades with there neighbours further away would be better suited with a pumprescue as backup is further away, and thus firecover would be further away...

whereas if other resources are nice and close it would be quicker for a fire cover appliance to arrived also.

This most likely depends on the brigades ability to crew mor than one truck

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 09:35:07 AM »
Medevac I guess if an appliance is working at a job, you just call in the next resource.
If they were at a rescue and you had another rescue, you would call in your backup.

Offline Sam

• View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 09:47:32 AM »
I have to say that we can fit a fair amount of gear on our type 2. I mean one side is basically firefighting, "BA hoses confined space, chocks" And the other side has all rescue gear stowed.

I understand about not getting the truck tied up at a job. I surpose you do as good as you  can with the resources available, and deal with the job in hand?