Author Topic: Weather Forecasts  (Read 6283 times)

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Weather Forecasts
« on: November 10, 2006, 10:18:48 AM »
We have a lot of problems with being able to get weather forecasts in reasonable timeframes...I understand that we have to provide on ground weather conditions first but it can take up to hours for us to get a forecast back...

Does anyone else have such issues??  :?

It makes it hard to plan not having the forecast to work with..

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Weather Forecasts
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:53:31 AM »
Have you considered getting a $700 weather station from filtered Smith Electronics as it has every thing required to do weather forecasting :wink: i was gonna buy it myself but you know its so expensive  :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 11:06:11 AM »
The problem we have is that the weather can be so different within a 20km range..

We don't have any radar or significant weather stations in the right places...

sometimes we might be better getting out the game of twister and seeing where we land..  :lol:

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 11:40:58 AM »
I've had a look at it while in Anvil Electronics a few weeks ago and it tunrs out you dont need any sort of radar to work it cause the weather station is wireless and collects data via RF waves being transmitted from the wind speed metre & rain gauge to a digtal touch screen which you place inside a shed or house

heres the link so you can see what im talking about

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4553e6db05d117c2273fc0a87f9c0724/Product/View/Y5195
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 11:53:48 AM »

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 12:42:39 PM »
Don't usually have a problem getting a 12 hour forecast but a 4 day one is a different story.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »
Some alternative resources for Eyre Peninsula that might help. Will not resolve the problem, but might assist.

Several SES LHQ and every SES Regional Headquarters have weather stations with readouts to the internet. They will give local spot conditions. Just contact SES Region HQ to find out website addresses.

SES Regional HQ now have Operations control teams which have telephones numbers direct to forcasters. Maybe they can do some of the legwork and chasing for you to get the information, while you concentrate of the many other issues.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 03:50:46 PM »
But to have all of these weather recording stations don't help with a forecast  unless the relevant data gets to the people like those at the Met Bureau....

Although, having the PAWS (Portable Automatic weather station) setup during summer might help......at least the data goes direct to the BOM......!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 07:10:20 PM »
as long as the relevant information is sent to SOCC on the appropriate form (usually via the RDO) then the weather turn around should only be between 20 and 40 minutes...

the issue seems to arise when ppl try to short cut the system, and then details need to be chased up... or even when ppl try to get another 12 hr and theres is only 3hrs old or so.... we have experienced these problems numerous times at group level.

Offline Sam

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 10:07:27 PM »
The CFS have a registered BOM user that i assume is free for all CFS brigades to use. We use it alot and it just gives you extra info about conditions.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 08:22:37 AM »
But only for places with an automatic weather station.

I think Captcom was talking about having difficulty in getting accurate forecasts in the local area, as the AWS are few & far between, and conditions vary greatly across the area....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 08:33:18 AM »
I suppose the only solution is that may be CFS needs to look at more portable weather stations in each region and to provide training so that if we have the gear we can do the job.I know there is one that is floating around or its part of mount lofty tower brigade but is one enough????
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Sam

• View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 06:09:33 PM »
Yes fair call. 

What about a handheld weather station?

They are good and pretty accurate.

Sam

Offline filtered

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 09:08:14 PM »
Portable weather stations are all well and good, but I think everyone has missed the point.

From what I understand CaptCom is talking about, the issue is the timeliness of 12 hr or 4 day Fire Weather Forecasts being actioned, rather than accurate current weather conditions.

PAWS systems only record current weather conditions, which is useful, but IMTs require predicted weather as part of their planning function...

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 03:59:06 PM »
Best weather forcasting tool is a piece of string!

If its wet - its raining
If its dry - Its not raining
If its moving - Its Windy
If its on fire - There is lightning around!
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 07:27:55 AM »
But only for places with an automatic weather station.

I think Captcom was talking about having difficulty in getting accurate forecasts in the local area, as the AWS are few & far between, and conditions vary greatly across the area....

Pip is correct...we do all that has been suggested but our issues are that we dont have enough AWS and in the right places.. :-(

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 11:03:28 AM »
At the KI fires this week, I was part of Planning (  :-o  ) and we arranged the 12 hour & 4 day forecasts.....

We would get the weather from the fireground (usually from the Div Commander) on a hand held meter, fax the details (on the right form!) to HQ, who would forward the request to BOM.

The forecast would be back to us usually within 20 minutes for it getting to the BOM....

However, a few things that are perhaps different to the Eyre Peninsula area....KI has several AWS around the area, and two PAWS units were also set up, so the BOM had something like 6 different weather stations to collect data from.....that made it quite easy to forecast (which in hindsight, was fairly accurate).

But again, there were plenty of Weather stations to get info from...

Pip

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 01:58:09 PM »
Or get a Kestrel and see it at the fireground :-D
Images are copyright

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 02:13:37 PM »
Kestrels are very useful...but, at times, the Sector Commander / Div Commander or who ever it is on the fireground is at the height of a fire, a bit busy with other things to give us the weather......

And you hope they remembered to put fresh batteries in it!!   :-)

But at least there is some reasonably accurate mechanism for taking at least some weather readings on the fireground......

Pip