Author Topic: Brigade Drivers  (Read 22876 times)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Brigade Drivers
« on: November 10, 2006, 01:46:48 PM »
Just wondering how most brigades are off for applaince drivers? Noticed a few brigades from time to time send pages out for driver required urgently or no appliance responded due to lack of drivers. The last brigade(s) I was in had plenty of drivers as some of them did it for their work. Some groups have been able to allocate money to assist members in getting their MR licence so they had more drivers. This is a good idea as long as people dont take advantage of it and then leave on you.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Brigade Drivers
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 02:27:50 PM »
We have heaps, of course som,e drive more than others and our BA operators only drive if know on else is their to drive.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 03:45:48 PM »
We do OK....I think we have about 6 drivers, with a few more to be trained...if your brigade is short of driver's, there is a scheme through HQ / Region, that will pay to have people's licences upgraded to an MR (or an HR) if the brigade meets the criteria.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Ryan

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 04:58:45 PM »
we could do with a few more drivers, usually the same few that drive and in the day time we sometimes have problems. 

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 07:46:12 PM »
we dont have a problem as we have loads of drivers both P1 and P2.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 09:16:35 PM »
We do OK....I think we have about 6 drivers, with a few more to be trained...if your brigade is short of driver's, there is a scheme through HQ / Region, that will pay to have people's licences upgraded to an MR (or an HR) if the brigade meets the criteria.....

Pip

Pip our Group has had a request put in for the last 3 years all brigades in our area are allways looking for drivers. We keep being told we have to wait as we are to far out of Adelaid. Last time I looked we where still CFS but who knows.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 09:25:41 PM »
As a general rule, CFS will fund you for extra drivers, if you have less than 4 truck drivers per appliance, and from memory, that excludes Officers......

It is one of those things that often people have more than 4 drivers per appliance, but those people are often not around when you actually need them!!

I was told that if you have a case of enough drivers, but have none around, say, Mon - Fri daytime, you may be able to get some funding to train a few more......

Ask you Regional Training officer - they may be able to give you all the specifics...

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 10:19:45 PM »
We only have about 3 drivers during the day, and lots of the time we default because we cant get one of them,

What are the rules for getting your MR?? I have heard it is 1 year driving experience, but is this full licence or are your P's included??

I cant wait till I have mine!!

Pixie
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 11:52:59 PM »
Wouldn't get too exited there pixie i believe (I'm probably wrong so please correct me if i am) but CFS insurance doesn't cover drivers under 25 when driving P1, or something to that effect??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 12:55:57 AM »
Hopefully it does, since we have a couple under 25 and have never been aware of an issue.

You do have to have your full MR liscence to drive P1, however you can upgrade to your MR whilst still on your Ps... as you said, one years experience on your P plates is all that is necessary.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 07:23:21 AM »
I heard 2 years driving experiance before you can go for your MR and the years you spend on P's count.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 08:24:14 AM »
did you know that if you have a car licence that you can drive the appliance to the job but a truck driver has to drive it back?????
blinky bill
my view only

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 08:38:14 AM »
Yes but there would be a lot of bad stuff to pay if you hit something.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 09:00:02 AM »
What is the story about drivers under 25??
We have a couple under 25 that drive P1, they are safe and good drivers.
I hope this is not true about the under 25.
Can anyone point to the document that has this info

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 09:30:22 AM »
never heard of that rule we have drivers 20/21 year olds
blinky bill
my view only

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2006, 11:09:08 AM »
Never ever heard of that rule re: driving age.

As long as you are appropriately licensed and competent (eg - driver training package, or signed off as competent by an appropriate person) then you are fine. IMO.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2006, 11:45:07 AM »
I heard you can drive a truck on a car licence if you have L plates on the back and front

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 11:46:42 AM »
That would be under instruction from a fully qualified driver.

Say if you were learning for your test etc.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2006, 11:57:35 AM »
checked the transport SA website and it says you must ahve had Class C licence for 1 year.  Not sure if P plates count or not.

Also found this,
Under special circumstances the Registrar of Motor Vehicles may grant an exemption to an applicant from the minimum experience requirements for a specific licence class. Applicants who are exempted by the Registrar must produce evidence of the exemption to a Customer Service Centre to obtain a learner’s permit for the licence class.

Wonder if firefighting reasons are special enough?

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2006, 12:04:04 PM »
That would be under instruction from a fully qualified driver.

Say if you were learning for your test etc.

yeah but also just driving the firetruck for example on the roads crusiin around you can do it, i think.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2006, 12:09:01 PM »
I would hope the only reason an unlicensed driver would be driving with L plates on (under instruction), would be to practise or gain expereince for their license..

Not just to cruise around..

8-)

Offline 2090

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2006, 03:03:23 PM »
I heard this, I heard that....

Ok. You need minimum 1 year C class experiance to get an MR license. Your years on P's count. Hence the youngest you can hold an MR license is 17.5 years. There is no "lerners permit" for MR, hence you can have L's up and a car license. (the only way to learn to drive)

You can drive a CFS applaince P1, if you hold the license class for that vehicle. It then gets murky. Ir you have a C class license, and are on your P's for it, but have an MR license, you can drive vehicles requiring an MR license P1, BUT not any vehicle that requires a C class license as you are still on P's.

did you know that if you have a car licence that you can drive the appliance to the job but a truck driver has to drive it back?????
Find me written official proof of that. Ill put money on you not being able to find it. (the other way around yes, but NOT an unlicensed driver under P1 conditions.)

Instead of sitting here looking at this, or making crap up, go and look at the god damn SOPS and COSO's.

Offline Ryan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2006, 03:11:54 PM »
I would hope the only reason an unlicensed driver would be driving with L plates on (under instruction), would be to practise or gain expereince for their license..

Not just to cruise around..

8-)

haha yeah I meant that figuratively, I tohught by Learning you meant with a driving school not learning in the truck, glad its all clear now :wink: 

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2006, 10:24:34 PM »
I heard this, I heard that....

Ok. You need minimum 1 year C class experiance to get an MR license. Your years on P's count. Hence the youngest you can hold an MR license is 17.5 years. There is no "lerners permit" for MR, hence you can have L's up and a car license. (the only way to learn to drive)

You can drive a CFS applaince P1, if you hold the license class for that vehicle. It then gets murky. Ir you have a C class license, and are on your P's for it, but have an MR license, you can drive vehicles requiring an MR license P1, BUT not any vehicle that requires a C class license as you are still on P's.

Find me written official proof of that. Ill put money on you not being able to find it. (the other way around yes, but NOT an unlicensed driver under P1 conditions.)

Instead of sitting here looking at this, or making crap up, go and look at the god damn SOPS and COSO's.

COSO 7 and 8 to be precise :-D
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2006, 05:41:47 AM »
Its in COSO go and have a look :mrgreen:
blinky bill
my view only