Author Topic: Gosselands Deployment (KI) - 131106  (Read 5931 times)

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Gosselands Deployment (KI) - 131106
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:12:53 PM »
Was a part of the 12hr (more like 16hr on the move) Gosselands deployment on Monday and managed to take a few snaps.

Was one of the best fed KI deployments ever; they had bacon & eggs ready for us on arrival, had snack bags for us on the fireground, rolls, muffins and drinks for lunch brought out to us, and then a pub meal and 2 drinks afterwards.... was pretty good, gotta love the surf & turf.

Basically we (crews from lofty and sturt groups on KI appliances) spent all day patrolling and moppin up hot spots, even managed to see fire once!

several shots;

So who else was there from this board? Saw Skirkmoe, and im sure a few of you other guys are probly lurking on here....

Cheers

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Gosselands Deployment (KI) - 131106
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 02:09:51 PM »
I was there!!   :-D

This one day deployment is looking like becoming a more regular thing for large incidents on KI.

There have been major problems in getting crews (both fire crews, and IMT's) on 3 or 5 day deployments to KI....and then issues with getting accommodation at certain times of the year (like school holidays!) etc.

This deployment came over on the first flight from Adelaide, and returned on the last one back....makes for one long day, but at least it is only one day, and not 3 or 5.

I think these short term deployments for KI are an excellent idea.

As for food - I'd have to agree with you - the Logistics people, and the catering people (for this deployment) were mostly locals, and did an excellent job on the food...

Certainly the IMT's from the mainland, and the locals have had lots of practice lately on KI, and previously, food was a problem...but everyone seems to have learnt from the previous fires, and have done a top job this time    :-D

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 02:16:23 PM »
12hr deployments although a lot more expensive do seem to be a more sensible idea....

i know i would never be able to attend a three or five day deployment due to the nature of my employment, but one day? sure.

Offline 2090

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 02:53:54 PM »
Don't tell me you're the young bloke with the Camelbak on....

All the Pardarna appliances need is a length, or two, of 25mm. Please? Next time we may as well just bring our own.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 03:19:38 PM »
yes, that would have been me...  :wink:

could not believe there was no layflat.... absoloutely ridiculous, especially considering the type of "get off the trucks and get in there" terrain they have on the island...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 03:44:26 PM »
That would be the only way they would get me back over there again would be on a 12hr deployment, to many hassles with the 3 day one.
And yes the food was fantastic for last months fire.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 04:08:47 PM »
12hr deployments although a lot more expensive do seem to be a more sensible idea....

i know i would never be able to attend a three or five day deployment due to the nature of my employment, but one day? sure.

Yep, there is a higher cost in flying crews over & back each day...but what is the cost of not having crews on the ground...or, perhaps worse, having the exhausted locals still on the fireground, day after day.....?

And like many people, they can take one day off work, but taking 3 or more days off, with only short notice is almost impossible!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 04:47:42 PM »
Sounds like a good idea but will this only be region one or will they charter flights from different regions if needed?
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 04:55:27 PM »
region one would most likely provide the fastest response (obviously providing flights are available) but depending on numbers of vollunteers i dare say they wopuld have to be looking to other regions for assistance...

especially if your going to be changing the shifts over so regularly.... i daresay the pool of vollies would drain fairly quickly.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 06:23:29 AM »
Well done to the CFS, the 1 day deployment is a top idea.
I think it will be easy to get more firefighters to KI now.
I would have never gone due to the time frame and the horror stories about accommodation and food.
Good to see some positive comments and good information on this site from ff that have been at the sharp end. :wink:

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 02:42:46 PM »
Good to see they put the starter motor back into their tanker and are using it :roll:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 03:09:20 PM »
If they only got KI deployments working like they do interstate deployments then people may put there hand up for 3 days of tour...As I have said before if you don't look after those doing the job then you will never see them back. As for IMT may be its time that they used those that have done the course so that they can get so experience rather than keep using the same people....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 09:24:05 AM »
Good to see they put the starter motor back into their tanker and are using it :roll:

What about the one with the shot alternator which they were going to send back out at night :-o

Dont think that lasted long
Images are copyright