Author Topic: QAV's  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
QAV's
« on: November 28, 2006, 02:24:11 PM »
Gday,

What is peoples experiance with these?  What did you think of them?

Had some experiance with a Slip On the other day and was quite impressed with there capabilities.  Is the CFS going to make any more of these?  I think Monash and someone else got one last year, any idea what they are like?

Do you think there should be a lot more of these around the state? (where suitable)

And if so what sort of setup?
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: QAV's
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »
mate there great and I would like to see some come into region 5,but make them 1500lts not 500 or 1000... they are able to get into spots where the 24 or 34 wont go and they are great for that park that just keeps burning most of all  they are good in sand..
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 09:39:18 AM »
mate there great and I would like to see some come into region 5,but make them 1500lts not 500 or 1000... they are able to get into spots where the 24 or 34 wont go and they are great for that park that just keeps burning most of all  they are good in sand..

Provide you have got the front hubs locked :lol:
Images are copyright

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 11:05:43 AM »

a QAV with 1500L of water is not a QAV anymore!  by the time you add pump and basic gear that's got to be at least a 2t payload.  Landcruiser utes are good but not good enough for that!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 06:19:58 PM »
QAV is only as good as the water resource that is close to it :-D

Sure easy to get access but downfall is the water capacity, which could expose you to a burnover if you stretch the friendship :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 09:58:47 AM »
Best QAV ever was the Ford F350's Awesome for quick attack - lots of issues like petrol pump and crew safety. But had lot's of fun being first on the fire ground.

QAV's are great if used as intended quick response supported by other trucks.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »
If you want to have 1500ltrs of water...you effectively have a 14....which we have a few of already... :|

Offline Pixie

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 05:11:29 PM »
we (seaford) have a 500L slip-on for our logistics car, but region wont ok it for use on the fire ground, so instead it is used as a pump trailer, and almost never leaves the station.

one great thing about it is we can put it on and take off the trqailer with 4 cadets!!

As for the effectiveness of QAV's from what i have seen they are awesome on the fireground as the can get in under low branches etc. without ripping lights off the roof.

*Pixie*
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 05:14:31 PM »
Hey Pix,why wont the region let you use it??? DEH have slip on as do farm units....
blinky bill
my view only