Author Topic: Mt Bryan truck rollover  (Read 35046 times)

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Mt Bryan truck rollover
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 05:03:22 PM »
I would say that we will see a new set of OHSW rules come out about the roll over,but I have to agree it would be nice to know how the crew is...
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 08:04:28 PM »
Is Mt Bryan running a different appliance now. I believe the one that was in the rollover was pretty trashed.

Offline wilma

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2007, 08:34:02 PM »
its at brukunga under lock and key
Barossa CFS Group
Barrosa DGO 3
(Formaly Wilma)

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2007, 10:12:49 PM »
its at brukunga under lock and key
Is this the damaged one you are talking about? Why would they lock it up? It was on show for the world to see at Truckworks for ages.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2007, 07:14:13 AM »
Its probably best if we don't discuss this on here at the present time as the member who was hurt is not doing to good.....and yes a new SOP has come out about seatbelts after this accident.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2007, 07:25:14 AM »
The new SOP states that seat belts are to be worn at all times NO EXCEPTIONS

Whats your life worth :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2007, 08:52:17 AM »
there were 3 corrective actions (forgotten what Workcover call them) issued by Workcover on the CFS resulting from this.  The revised seatbelt SOP was one, another was lack of off-road driver training and can't think of the third at the moment.

I just think it's tragic (and an appalling indictment on the CFS senior management) that it takes something like this to happen to a CFS member before they seriously consider off-road driver training.  (The seatbelt SOP is legal arse-covering, people actively involved in fighting a fire from the rear of an appliance will not wear a seatbelt.)

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2007, 10:21:05 AM »
I just think it's tragic (and an appalling indictment on the CFS senior management) that it takes something like this to happen to a CFS member before they seriously consider off-road driver training.  (The seatbelt SOP is legal filtered-covering, people actively involved in fighting a fire from the rear of an appliance will not wear a seatbelt.)

It's a hell of a catch 22 - CFS will never be able to train volunteers enough to avoid all injuries/accidents.

The drivers from our brigade did the advanced driver training course (I think that's what it's called) when our new 34 arrived. However 98% of our work is on flat country - we just don't get any ongoing exprience assessing the terrain these trucks can handle.
It concerns me every time we go to the hills (or up the bluff!).

Although the driver training is a good idea, I'd be very surprised if it made that much difference to incidents like this, for although I've no idea what lead to this truck roll over, I can imagine our brigade suffering a similar fate simply for lack of experience in hilly conditions.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2007, 11:43:19 AM »
(The seatbelt SOP is legal filtered-covering, people actively involved in fighting a fire from the rear of an appliance will not wear a seatbelt.)

thats why you need to read the COSO properly darius. i dont see any reason why it is hard to wear seatbelts while travelling anywhere.... :-P
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 12:40:17 PM by mack »

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2007, 11:59:05 AM »
Bit hard to chase a running grass fire when strapped in to the seat on the crew deck...    :evil:

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2007, 12:18:43 PM »
I find on the back of the 24 wearing the seatbelt makes the trip more comfortable as you are not sliding around all over the place.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2007, 12:25:36 PM »
Just gotta remember when responding an appliance be it on the fire ground or on the way there, Take a deep breath and think twice about your decisions.  Better off taking a bit longer to get somewhere then to hurt one or all of your crew mates.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2007, 12:33:28 PM »
Bit hard to chase a running grass fire when strapped in to the seat on the crew deck...    :evil:

i say again... read the flaming COSO properly...

here is the modification of COSO 7

"Drivers and all passengers driving in/on a CFS vehicle must wear seatbelts at all times irrespective of whether the vehicle is on a public road or off road.

With regards the crew deck of fire appliances, crew shall remain seated and wear a seatbelt all times. The only exception for this will be for those who are operationally involved on the crew deck. Total crew numbers must not exceed the number of available seatbelts."

so tell me... what is hard about that?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 12:39:13 PM by mack »

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2007, 03:37:31 PM »
The COSO wasn't burning when it arrive in Post Box...and it certainly hasn't been burning since!     :wink:

And Mack, just settle a little....  a little sarcasm, with the   :evil:   giving an email equivalent of a sarcastic facial expression.....     :wink:

The COSO states clearly about travelling to an incident - no argument there, there aren't really too many excuses for not being strapped in on the way to the call (despite have the crew having trouble with travelling backwards, in a space without a lot of ventilation, and end up arriving at an incident, ready to throw up, regardless of how careful the driver is - but they will still be strapped in.)

The slightly confusing thing is about travelling on the fireground, and when do crews need to be strapped in - at a Group meeting last week, there were five different brigade reps, all of whom interpreted this in a slightly different way.

So there perhaps needs to be a closer look at the actual COSO, and some sensible discussion, and clarification on that issue....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2007, 04:03:17 PM »
pip, IMO the COSO covers everything clearly...

anyone that is doing something "operational" on the back of the crew deck doesnt have to be belted in.

perhaps they should add a definition of the term "operationally involved" to make it more obvious for some....

btw, if your crew cant handle sitting backwards on the crew deck perhaps they shouldnt be on the truck.... or maybe the need to toughen up  :wink: (notice the wink, indicating that i am joking)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2007, 05:01:01 PM »
Does anyone know the answer to my original question. Is Mt Bryan running a different appliance now? The promo site lists the crashed one still.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2007, 05:09:08 PM »
As Pip says, no argument about wearing seatbelts whilst travelling to/from an incident.  The way it reads to me is you must wear one whilst on the back of the appliance except when squirting water.  So, eg. you are on the fireground squirting water out the hose(s), decide to make up, all aboard, move up the track a few hundred metres (or a km or whatever), get off again, squirt some more.  You would have to all put seatbelts on for that appliance movement.  This is not going to happen (being realistic).  Some might argue that you don't have to in those circumstances, but the way it reads to me is that you do.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2007, 05:25:00 PM »
Thanks Darius - that was my interpretation of the COSO....although to go a step futher what does "Operationally involved" mean. 

Does it mean that if you are not actually the one squirting the water, that you must be strapped in on the fire ground?

If so, my issue with that is that if you are actually on an active fireground, and sitting down in the crew haven on a standard 24 / 34 single cab, you cannot see where the fire is coming from, which direction it is going, how big or fast moving it is, where your potential escape routes might be should you be involved in burn over, and can potentally not know where particular assets that you might have to protect...all because you are seated on the back, and cannot see....

While I don't know alot about the Mt Bryan appliance roll over, I do know that the two people on the back of the appliance were able to jump clear as the truck rolled, and suffered only "minor" injuries, while it was the driver who suffered serious injuries.

I don't suggest that on that basis, we shouldn't be wearing seatbelts on the fireground, but things do need to be put into perspective.....

To solve much of this dilemma, perhaps we can just get the Government to pay to replaces the 500 or so single cab appliances with twin cabs during 2007-08, and much of this issue is solved!!    :evil: :wink:

And Mack, even the Captain gets car sick on the back of the appliance travelling backwards...the rest of the crew just follows...!!!!    :evil:

Pip

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2007, 05:44:04 PM »
Be realistic...

We do a dangerous job thats it!

If someone gets hurt every now and then so be it.  We cant wrap everyone in cotton wool!

If your not willing to put your life on the line then you shouldnt be in the fire service!  You can do as much preventive work as you want but people will still get hurt occasionally.  And lets face it the record for the CFS is pretty good!

I know its harsh and sounds like i dont give a scheiße but im just being realistic!
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2007, 06:17:30 PM »
Be realistic...

We do a dangerous job thats it!

If someone gets hurt every now and then so be it.  We cant wrap everyone in cotton wool!

If your not willing to put your life on the line then you shouldnt be in the fire service!  You can do as much preventive work as you want but people will still get hurt occasionally.  And lets face it the record for the CFS is pretty good!

I know its harsh and sounds like i dont give a filtered but im just being realistic!

I have to agree with Camo here. I believe he raises a good point.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2007, 07:14:17 PM »
Athol,yes they are running another appliances not sure what it is may be pip can find out....I think the word we are looking for with the change in the COSO is common sense....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2007, 09:45:10 AM »
The unfortunate thing is that common sense is different for every person. Although it is generally along the same line of thinking.

We are lucky, to have both frontline appliances as dual cabs, so it makes it pretty clear cut, but in any case....

How many of us drive ours cars down the street without a seatbelt? remember those ads a little while ago....

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 05:40:03 PM »
Does anyone know the answer to my original question. Is Mt Bryan running a different appliance now? The promo site lists the crashed one still.

Mt Bryan now have the Region 4 Spare, XQN026, formerly  UPX858

Pip

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2007, 05:03:17 PM »
Interesting article in todays Advertiser. I always thought it was Mt Bryan, not Mt Thomas? Never heard of that brigade  :-)

Off-road training forced on CFS
April 23, 2007 02:15am

COUNTRY Fire Service volunteers are not given fundamental off-road driver training, despite fighting fires in challenging terrain, an investigation has found.

The service has been forced to introduce widespread training and sweeping safety measures after an accident which left one volunteer a quadriplegic.
SafeWorkSA served service chief officer Euan Ferguson with three binding Improvement Notices, under the Occupational Health Safety and Welfare Act.

That follows an investigation into an accident last November 29 when three service volunteers from the Mt Thomas brigade were mopping up at a Bundaleer fireground in the Mid North.

The truck rolled and the driver was thrown from the cabin. He is in the Hampstead Rehabilitation Centre adapting to life without the use of his arms and legs.

The subsequent SafeWorkSA investigation has led to orders that:

ALL drivers of CFS appliances are adequately trained to ensure they are equipped to drive CFS vehicles on the environment they are required to operate.

All CFS personnel involved in making command decisions in fireground operations receive training and instruction in risk assessments.

SEATBELTS are worn at all reasonable times.

CFS manager of strategic services, Mick Ayre, said the accident was "a very big tragedy" but, considering there were 16,000 volunteers, the number of casualties in the organisation was very low.

"We have a motto which is safety first, come home safe and we try to engender that in all volunteers," he said.

Despite this and the fact "our volunteers are working in paddocks and all sorts of topography", he said the issue of off-road training among 450 brigades, with 800 appliances, had not been addressed as an "oversight".

"One of the things we have not been good at doing, is we have never really addressed effectively the driving of 4WD trucks off road," Mr Ayre said.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 05:04:53 PM by 24P »
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2007, 05:15:41 PM »
Maybe the person who wrote that article likes the show blue heelers :wink: :lol:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

anything