Author Topic: Third of all fire fighters over 50  (Read 5309 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Third of all fire fighters over 50
« on: November 29, 2006, 01:31:37 PM »
From: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,20831802-5006301,00.html#

Dated: 28/11/2006 at 0115

THIRD OF ALL FIRE FIGHTERS OVER 50

METROPOLITAN firefighters are warning the State Government of a looming workforce crisis, with a third of employees now aged over 50 and 20 officers over 60.

The average age of the 800-strong force is 45, with just 102 officers under the age of 35.
The United Fire Fighters Union of SA said most officers also could not access "huge backlogs" of annual and long service leave because of staff shortages and increased workloads.

"Firefighters as a group are older, it is a job where you have to be quite robust and although we're quite a fit force, we are ageing," UFU state president Bill Jamieson told The Advertiser.

"For the first time ever, more than 20 of our members are over 60.

"As you can imagine, 60-year-old firefighters are a fair bit more injury prone. There needs to be some method by which firefighters can exit in their mid 50s.

"We're all sitting on huge backlogs of leave, but because every truck needs to roll with four on, it is very, very difficult for anyone to access that leave and people are sitting on up to seven months of leave."

Mr Jamieson said fire fighters no longer just fought fires. "Now, we're the combating agency for just about every emergency there is, from dangerous substance spills to road crash rescue," he said.

State Government figures show MFS officers take the most sick leave of any of the state's emergency service workers, with employees sick an average of 11.9 days each last financial year. The 800 full-time MFS staff took a total of 9681.6 days off as sick leave, the figures show.

Mr Jamieson described the data as "very concerning".

MFS chief officer Grant Lupton acknowledged the ageing workforce was an issue, although it was "not a significant problem if managed".

Opposition Leader Iain Evans said the Government "clearly has no workforce planning" for the MFS.

"The Government needs a better targeted recruitment program," he said.Emergency Services Minister Carmel Zollo said the Government had approved a third course of 18 firefighter recruits this financial year providing "better access to leave".
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Third of all fire fighters over 50
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 01:34:29 PM »
For all you MFS wannabes, article states at the bottom that "...the Government had approved a third course of 18 firefighter recruits this financial year..."
Andrew Macmichael

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:37:31 PM »
What a joke 18....there are just as many leaving the service if not more :evil:

Sounds like the same thing SAPOL do boast about a recruit course, and take then minimum instaed of the maximum
Images are copyright

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:11:03 PM »
What a joke 18....there are just as many leaving the service if not more :evil:

Sounds like the same thing SAPOL do boast about a recruit course, and take then minimum instaed of the maximum

I read that has 18 PER intake. Thus if three intakes then 54 new MFS firefighters this financial year.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 02:14:13 PM »
MFS need some young blood in there :-D
Images are copyright

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 03:00:53 PM »
Yeah they are increasing the intakes to try and cover this issue. The people that are involved in the current drill squad apart from the Mt Gambier ones are people who missed out on the last one. There used to be only 1 intake per year...

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 03:06:11 PM »
Ok it looks like the MFS are dealing with the same problems as CFS.  But it looks like the MFS are trying to do something about it.  What about the CFS?

Maybe a less complicated cadet system to encourage younger firies?  A high school based advertising campaign to attract 16-19yr olds?
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 03:17:52 PM »
Ok it looks like the MFS are dealing with the same problems as CFS.  But it looks like the MFS are trying to do something about it.  What about the CFS?

Maybe a less complicated cadet system to encourage younger firies?  A high school based advertising campaign to attract 16-19yr olds?

I have heard, but not confirmed, that SES level 1 and some CFS training will qualify for SACE points. This could help in an advertising campaign to high school students.

Another option is to recruit from Venturer & Rover Scout groups. Ranger Guide groups are similar potential members. The CFS/SES is recognised to qualify has the service requirement of Queens Guide award, Queen Scout award and Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme levels.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 05:06:51 PM »
BFF-1 course is nationally accredited, and does attract SACE points...one of the members of my brigade gained several SACE points just by attending training, and completing BFF-1   :-D

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 07:49:39 PM »
That is the most pushover way to get SACE points of course you don't get a TER from CFS training.

According to the article It seems that MFS is coming to the problem that every industry in Australia is facing. I looked at Fire fighting as a job but there are some things like  pay and only needing yr 10 education that really turned me away. in other words why not get a degree and more easily earn double.

Offline Pixie

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »
It is true, Students can get Stage 1 (year 11) SACE points for BFF1. I have about 6 vet units and 2 SACE points because of it!!

Hopefully MFS will spread out the recruitment drive over a couple of years, so then younger people like me will at least have a chance to apply when they are old enough.
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 08:38:11 PM »
Well i just completed Yr12 and I guess since they are only SACE stage 1 units it is better but BFF1 was 3 whole days not half a year.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 04:56:25 PM »
The MFS situation is very different to many other industries. Some like road transport are having problems getting young people interested in their field. The MFS certainly has many people almost knocking the door down to get a job, but there were a few years there when there was only a small or no intake which they are now paying the price for.