Author Topic: Use of fire sirens  (Read 29608 times)

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Use of fire sirens
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 09:51:50 AM »
We use our siren only when we do not have enough crew on wail. Also on continues blast if the treated timber storage site is on fire as the town will need to be evacuated, so if the residence of the town hear that they know its time to start to get ready they may have to leave. Then they will get the police to tell them exactly when to go.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 11:49:57 AM »
Im in the same vote as Sam our community barely knows we exsist because it wont support us by becoming a volunteers or donating money

The only times we use it if theres a huge risk that a grass or scrub fire burning near the town has the potential to escalate in a wildfire and evacuations are needed

If we have a real bad shortage of crew after a call out is placed over our pagers   

On a Wednesday night before the radio check
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 02:46:02 PM »
Do It Every Call Out During the Day To Let The Community Know That We Are In Operation & To Be Aware, Also Helps For Thoughs Who Didn't Hear The Pager As It Also Sends A Second Message.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2006, 08:21:30 AM »
As Medevac said, there is a document on the use of sirens.
Haven't got it with me but for memory the use of sirens was betwenn 0800 and 2000. Will have a look and post the exact times etc for peoples info.  All Captains should have now received a copy of it.
Adam.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 08:06:49 AM »
Thought AF weren't soing this anymore  :?

MFS: SIREN ACTIVATION *URGMSG:

Offline Sarge

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 06:13:54 PM »
We still use our siren like most others mainly to get more crews, However our community actually want us to use it so that they are aware of something going on in the area. We had a stint a while back where the siren burnt out and so was off line for a time and we had complaints coming in from the community about it not being used before we could tell them it was broken.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 09:40:29 PM »
Thought AF weren't soing this anymore  :?

MFS: SIREN ACTIVATION *URGMSG:

Back when SOC were incharge of our paging and radio call taking the Kalangadoo fire siren was linked up to the paging system so when a fire call happened both the pagers and station siren went off
Kalangadoo Brigade

pumprescue

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 08:19:23 AM »
They aren't supposed to set the siren off but obviously some brigades put the guilts on and make them do it, on a visit I did of Comms, its not a simple thing to just set the siren off.

You can set your siren up to go off on CFSRES, or just go to the station and press the button.

Some brigades can't seem to understand that you need to do it yourself!!!!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »
But sometimes you want the siren to go off, and other times you don't... so setting it to go off on CFSRES is not always going to suit.

Can I ask pumprescue, why is it not a simple thing to set the siren off?  Surely a page with URGMSG it will do that, and putting that on a message is not too difficult?  Or is there some issue with paging out messages...?

While it is easy to get the station & just press the button, I know in the case of my brigade, particularly during summer members go out gardening, mowing etc, and don't take their pagers with them (it prevents pagers from being chopped up by lawnmowers), but they can hear the siren...that few minutes delay for someone to get the the station to set the siren off may mean the rest of the brigade have a few minute delay before they know of an incident...

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

pumprescue

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 03:28:39 PM »
Well my station has a timer set on the siren box so it won't go off between 7pm and 7am. Any reason you couldn't use that system, the crew that don't want to take their pagers outside the house would more than likely want to know about every call, so doesn't matter if it goes off every call.

From what I was told 99.9% of brigades don't care about the siren being set off, there is maybe 3 or 4 that still try and get it done.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »
Ive probly said it before, but there is no need for sirens fullstop.

Everyone has pagers to notify them of firecalls, no excuse for not carrying them. And dont pull the comment that they fail, because there good enough for every other emergency service [MFS, SAAS, SES, VMR, etc etc]

Station sirens are NOT an official means of notifying the community of significant events. This is why we have EWMs and WAMs.

Offline vsteve01

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »
Station sirens are NOT an official means of notifying the community of significant events. This is why we have EWMs and WAMs.

Agree that it shouldn't be used for turn out, but we use purely for fires in the immediate area only.  It's not an official means, but any additional means of notification should not be discounted.  EWMs are only useful if people are listening to the radio stations that broadcast them, or get a phone call/sms from the new system.

If it is used sparingly, then when it goes of people will make an effort to see why.  If it goes off for everything RCR or tree down then people will become compliance.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 08:40:43 PM »
Each to their own really I guess your community will soon let you know if they dont appreciate the siren going off! In a brigade with lower call out rate like mine it doesnt go off very often but when it does the community knows something is up!

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »

Agree that it shouldn't be used for turn out, but we use purely for fires in the immediate area only.  It's not an official means, but any additional means of notification should not be discounted.  EWMs are only useful if people are listening to the radio stations that broadcast them, or get a phone call/sms from the new system.

The problem with this is that then the local community becomes reliant on the siren for notifications and does not bother to listen to the media for official warnings. This will eventually lead to major issues, especially if your siren seizes like my brigades has.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 01:34:11 AM »
My community wants the siren to be activated during fire danger season, for fires in the local area - which is what we do. 

My community is aware that should they hear the siren, they should go outside and look for / smell for smoke, and to check the CFS website etc for info......

As for brigades having pagers, and hence not needing sirens...it'd be great if the pagers worked consistently, but they don't - within my Group area there are numerous dead spots for pagers, and a siren is very helpful for actually advising members of call (since the pager often won't!)

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 07:50:31 AM »
My community wants the siren to be activated during fire danger season, for fires in the local area - which is what we do. 

My community is aware that should they hear the siren, they should go outside and look for / smell for smoke, and to check the CFS website etc for info......
Pip

So are you saying that you, as the brigade captain, have been out to the community and advertised the siren as an official means of notification when CFS paperwork states otherwise? Not meaning to stir you up, but i love the inconsistency within the CFS.

Gives me the shits answering calls on both the bushfire hotline and triple zero, from panicked and sometimes crying [no exaggeration here] residents during summer when they hear a station siren activate, only for us to tell them the locals are attending an MVA of fire alarm. Imagine there confusion then also, wondering why the local CFS is alerting the whole community to a minor incident.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »
There's nothing wrong with what Pip is doing In getting the community on-side.  I thougt this was the whole concept of "community" - ensuring that everyone is aware of issues that have the potential to impact on their welfare!

I can also see your Side Alex - but would be so bold as to suggest that perhaps those who do make those types of phone calls are also the type who rarely leave the house to interact with their community.

Perhaps the whole concept of CFS managing globally from a metro centric base is a little outdated if it doesn't recognize the ability of locals in any community to promote the CFS and it's relevant safety messages at the local level taking into account local issues, resources and infrastructure!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 10:20:12 AM »
Although I can see both sides of the issue, and not to mention I believe that the Fire Siren is an outdated method of firecall notification, Operations Bulletin 12/2007: Siren Policy does state the following:

Notwithstanding the above constraints, use of a Brigade siren shall be permitted at any time where circumstances require:
  • Additional response of members, or
  • Warning of danger to the community

Further to that, in bold:

It is necessary for brigade to meet with the community and discuss the use of siren, and agree on the  use to meet the requirements of the SACFS and the community. It is encouraged these meeting are held each year prior to the start of the fire danger [sic], so the use of sirens can be reviewed.

I don't see any issue if the local brigade and community come to an agreement about the use of the local station siren. It's great to see it encouraged. I would have serious concerns if any discussion regarding its use was not coupled with the standard bushfire education message, eg: listen to 891 on a TFB, or other extreme day. If the use of the siren is causing particular concern and anxiety as Alex has mentioned, then perhaps Adelaide Fire need to pass this information on to the local brigade to ensure that the use of their siren, if any, is more aligned with community safety objectives during the summer months, rather than brigade turnout.

To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

misterteddy

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »

maybe you should go read the Vic Royal Commission on the topic....

they have a very important role to play IMHO, people dont or arent always near radios/TV and the technology for Mob Phone alerts is NOT foolproof so should not be relied on.

On the day, simple things will work far better than complex things...... Use it appropriately, teach your Community what its for and how to use the information and thats about as much as you can hope for, when the scheiße starts

And if you're siren has seized....well, only yourselves to blame really isnt there?

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 12:25:29 PM »

Pip

So are you saying that you, as the brigade captain, have been out to the community and advertised the siren as an official means of notification when CFS paperwork states otherwise? Not meaning to stir you up, but i love the inconsistency within the CFS.

No Alex, that's not what I said...

I go out to my community, and tell them that the brigade will always set the siren off for a report of a bushfire in the local area during the fire danger season.   The siren is an early warning for the community - to get them to go outside, and have a look around, work out where the fire is in relation to their property.  It is nothing more than an early warning.  I have advised them that should they hear the siren, once they have had a look around, have a look at the CFS website / listen to the relevant radio station for warnings etc.

I have also reinforced the concept of leaving early in the event of a bushfire, not waiting until they can see / smell the smoke, and directed them to the CFS website / brochures etc to ensure they understand the concepts.   

As we are a small community, with a low turn over of properties, the brigade tries to get to all new residents to ensure they understand that they live in a high risk bushfire area, and have decided what they will do if a fire comes.

This is simply the CFS connecting with our community - something that went missing for a while across the CFS... and now, after coronial inquests in two states it has become apparent why brigades must connect with their community!

Pip

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2011, 12:52:06 PM »
Seems to me that rather than that you should actually be encouraging the community to be proactive on high fire risk days and listen to the radio whilst they work/play/commute. Rather than relying on the fire siren as a prompt.

This is my opinion only, one obviously not shared by many!

And if you're siren has seized....well, only yourselves to blame really isn't there?

Other than normal annual maintenance and monthly testing, what more can you do? These things happen, just the same as any other appliance or equipment failure. But in the case of a community trained to react to the station siren, how do you notify them of an incident when this happens unexpectedly.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2011, 01:20:21 PM »

On the day, simple things will work far better than complex things......

such things as smoke signals perhaps??   :-P

misterteddy

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2011, 08:56:05 PM »
Other than normal annual maintenance and monthly testing, what more can you do? These things happen, just the same as any other appliance or equipment failure.

umm....preventative maintenance maybe?....do you wait until the appliance breaks down before u check fluids etc. It's a 2 minute job to CRC the siren and give it a spin around....

The Sturt Group trial is a good one. In the Fire Danger Season, the groups sirens all go off for a grass fire page anywhere in the Group (sounds like the Blitz). The community appear to understand the concept from what I have read, seems a simple concept really, and they will know before the Ignition/Threat and whatever other radio or phone  message u want to get out is anywhere near typed.....

Offline Numpty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »
I think that during high fire days sounding a siren is a good idea. The earlier you can get a warning out the better, if the siren is sounded shortly after the page you can't get much quicker than that. As previously said people then investigate, we all know how important an early warning is. I had a fire near our place and the best warning I got was a firebomber going over the top of my house with it's siren going it got my attention!. I then got on the paging website and scanner to find out where it exactly was. Nothing official came out on radio or web for about 25 to 30 minutes.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2011, 02:24:24 PM »
As for brigades having pagers, and hence not needing sirens...it'd be great if the pagers worked consistently, but they don't - within my Group area there are numerous dead spots for pagers, and a siren is very helpful for actually advising members of call (since the pager often won't!)

Agree with Pip on this one.

And back to the original question, I'm guessing, no, AF are not "meant" to be activating sirens with the URGMSG string...but will if asked nicely?

anything