Author Topic: New Burnside Pumper  (Read 191916 times)

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Burnside Pumper
« Reply #250 on: August 10, 2008, 11:10:27 PM »
Burnside's area has remained reletively unchanged for years. All that can be developed, has been developed. There still exists a large (protected by national park status) rural risk in our area, and i think there will always be a need for CFS presence in the area.
Thats what i was getting at, they might still be there but not in the capacity they are now? I.e they might end up becoming rural only?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 11, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
Watch out everyone, they have a new truck, but it seems to have come with a big pair of huffy puffy pants whenever the issue of their livelihood comes up!

I mean, 170 odd calls a year doesn't really compare to other brigades around the Urban Fringe who are twice as busy and have more risk in their primary response area.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 11, 2008, 02:09:42 PM »
Yep refer to the future Topic :wink:
Ken
just another retard!

pumprescue

« Reply #253 on: August 13, 2008, 08:50:49 AM »
Watch out everyone, they have a new truck, but it seems to have come with a big pair of huffy puffy pants whenever the issue of their livelihood comes up!

I mean, 170 odd calls a year doesn't really compare to other brigades around the Urban Fringe who are twice as busy and have more risk in their primary response area.

Shouldn't that be risk, you have to have risk first. As Gilly stated, they have huge rural risk......not sure how an urban pumper helps there. I know they don't go off road, and they need a larger pump for the long hose lays....but yeah. Its a simple case of if you have the money flaunt it, like residents that live in say Hackham might buy a Commodore (insert Isuzu) and residents in Burnside might buy Volvo's !!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 13, 2008, 08:57:29 AM »

Shouldn't that be risk, you have to have risk first. As Gilly stated, they have huge rural risk......not sure how an urban pumper helps there. I know they don't go off road, and they need a larger pump for the long hose lays....but yeah. Its a simple case of if you have the money flaunt it, like residents that live in say Hackham might buy a Commodore (insert Isuzu) and residents in Burnside might buy Volvo's !!

Burnside Pumper has been going offroad since they got it, and many many a time at Mt Osmond, and even the International before that :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Rainer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 13, 2008, 10:40:15 AM »
Guys,

It dissapoints me that there seems to be an attitiude of resentment pervailing this thread and having read through I feel compelled to set a few records straight.

1.Burnside is not a "rich" brigade there seems to be an idea that we live in a community that is throwing money at us...well let me tell you something, ..The money that were putting into our new appliance has been raised over the last 26 years and was started when we took delivery of our last Volvo pumper by some forward thinking people at the time who realised that in twenty years this appliance will need to be replaced

I personally spent much of my early CFS career selling lamingtons or raffle tickets or meat trays or election collection or etc etc (you get the idea) and the whole time the money was raised in order to buy a new fire appliance.

I think you will find that if your brigade had saved its money (even in hackam..he he) instead of spending it on "I want it now" items then you would be in a position similar to Burnsides.

2. So we are getting a Volvo Pumper... well it hasnt been easy ....this process started 15 years ago with the formation of a committee to look at what our current appliance is doing and what it is likely to be doing in the future and consequently making allowances in terms of design to accomodate these future requirements.

We then examined what the current appliance capabilities were and drew up a list of requirements that the future appliance needed ...bear in mind we were running 90m reels and pto pump in 1983 when CFS was just getting its head around 30M reels and a GAAM MK300D.

What followed were 13 years of discussion with a parade of Infrastructure & Logistics Managers and Chiefs

The process has taken a tremendous amount of effort over a number of years so it is disappointing to see it being trivialised.

Finally, Burnside has lifted the Bar for expectations of a urban interface appliance and the ball is now in your court to run with it ..If we had accepted a Dennis or Type 2 then that would be all anyone could expect.

The question is are you (your brigade) willing to put in the hard work , not spend money on stuff you dont really need (save for 26 years), and stand your ground when the CFS tries to roll over you and give you an appliance you dont believe is fit for purpose, will you present a solid argument as to why you deserve something better and something that will last longer and be fit for purpose in 20 years time when the decision makers saying NO to you now are long gone.

end transmission

Rainer

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 13, 2008, 10:56:57 AM »
Guys,

It dissapoints me that there seems to be an attitiude of resentment pervailing this thread and having read through I feel compelled to set a few records straight.

1.Burnside is not a "rich" brigade there seems to be an idea that we live in a community that is throwing money at us...well let me tell you something, ..The money that were putting into our new appliance has been raised over the last 26 years and was started when we took delivery of our last Volvo pumper by some forward thinking people at the time who realised that in twenty years this appliance will need to be replaced

I personally spent much of my early CFS career selling lamingtons or raffle tickets or meat trays or election collection or etc etc (you get the idea) and the whole time the money was raised in order to buy a new fire appliance.

I think you will find that if your brigade had saved its money (even in hackam..he he) instead of spending it on "I want it now" items then you would be in a position similar to Burnsides.

2. So we are getting a Volvo Pumper... well it hasnt been easy ....this process started 15 years ago with the formation of a committee to look at what our current appliance is doing and what it is likely to be doing in the future and consequently making allowances in terms of design to accomodate these future requirements.

We then examined what the current appliance capabilities were and drew up a list of requirements that the future appliance needed ...bear in mind we were running 90m reels and pto pump in 1983 when CFS was just getting its head around 30M reels and a GAAM MK300D.

What followed were 13 years of discussion with a parade of Infrastructure & Logistics Managers and Chiefs

The process has taken a tremendous amount of effort over a number of years so it is disappointing to see it being trivialised.

Finally, Burnside has lifted the Bar for expectations of a urban interface appliance and the ball is now in your court to run with it ..If we had accepted a Dennis or Type 2 then that would be all anyone could expect.

The question is are you (your brigade) willing to put in the hard work , not spend money on stuff you dont really need (save for 26 years), and stand your ground when the CFS tries to roll over you and give you an appliance you dont believe is fit for purpose, will you present a solid argument as to why you deserve something better and something that will last longer and be fit for purpose in 20 years time when the decision makers saying NO to you now are long gone.

end transmission

Rainer

Well said Rainer :-)
Images are copyright

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 13, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »
Rainer have Burnside had an undertaking from HQ, that the new unit being built will spend its entire service life at Burnside or in Lofty Group?

Before any other brigade or group put the money that it hadn't frittered away on "We want it now items" (as per your previous post) because they were careful not to overspend their groups budget continuously :evil: we would ask for an undertaking for the appliance to stay with the brigade for the duration of its service life, does Burnside have one!

Sorry to dissapoint, tee hee  :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

pumprescue

« Reply #258 on: August 13, 2008, 12:50:43 PM »
Cool thanks Rainer, someone has to play the devils advocate.

Your lucky you got it through before the new Regional Commander took over.....

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 13, 2008, 03:32:53 PM »
Well said.

jaff who cares what the budget that R1 sets. If you need the stuff buy it they can;t tell you off for that.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 13, 2008, 05:01:04 PM »
Well said.

jaff who cares what the budget that R1 sets. If you need the stuff buy it they cant tell you off for that.

They will if you go overbudget, says the man with short arms and deep pockets :wink:
Images are copyright

uniden

« Reply #261 on: August 13, 2008, 05:24:37 PM »
Many of those that are questioning the wisdom of Burnside getting the new rig have probably been struck by that little green monster perhaps..

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 13, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »
Many of those that are questioning the wisdom of Burnside getting the new rig have probably been struck by that little green monster perhaps..

Green monster or a dose of reality, call it what you will ;)

I think people are just asking the questions as it's great that Burnside have saved up for 26 years for their own truck, but what will happen when the face of the CFS and Burnside Brigade change?

If anything it will serve as an indicator as to what may happen to other brigades that have their own appliances and large scale fundraising efforts.

pumprescue

« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2008, 07:28:39 AM »
Or CFS have just allowed the biggest can of worms to be opened. If a brigade doesn't like what CFS is going to give them, they can go out and fundraise like hell to get the cash they need to buy what the think they should have.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 14, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »
While Burnside have worked hard to raise those funds, they are lucky to be in an area where they have a high population base from which to raise funds...

Many brigades would have no hope of raising any sort of decent money, due to the very small community they exist in.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 14, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »
While Burnside have worked hard to raise those funds, they are lucky to be in an area where they have a high population base from which to raise funds...

Many brigades would have no hope of raising any sort of decent money, due to the very small community they exist in.

Pip

Couldn't you also then argue that they have a bigger community to protect, and therefore a need for a better truck?

pumprescue

« Reply #266 on: August 15, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Bigger community? they have less houses than Basket Range would.

I am taking a motion to our next brigade meeting that we fundraise our backsides off over the next few years and ask CFS for the funding for a Type 2 and then chip in our own cash, they can't say no can they  :wink:

PS: I can't wait to see this truck in the flesh, perhaps CFS should use it on promotional material.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 15, 2008, 06:20:04 PM »
So does that mean that say, a house fire in a small community is not as important as a house fire in a large community..?
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 15, 2008, 06:37:48 PM »
So does that mean that say, a house fire in a small community is not as important as a house fire in a large community..?

My feelings exactly... spot on ... yes some volunteer organisations are enterpreneural & thus able to buy better equipment... OK, as long as the minimum equipment standard is adequate for the volunteer organisations who cannot raise the extra funds...

I assume this truck will be used in the air support & strike force role ? Thus used state-wide ?

** My thoughts & opinions only **
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 06:44:23 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline K55

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 15, 2008, 06:45:50 PM »
Err No.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 15, 2008, 06:59:45 PM »
i guess it will get used whenever and where ever the powers to be say.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 15, 2008, 08:12:59 PM »
I hear that Burnsides' "Fundraising" was merely the brigade deciding to stop buying Latte's, pampering their pooches and buying designer underwear.

The money that they saved was then redirected into the appliance fund and in 26 *months* they had enough.

Confirm/Deny?

;)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 16, 2008, 01:30:46 AM »

No.  That means there are more houses, more risk, and therefore more equipment can be justified.  It's nothing to do with where it is.

rescue5271

« Reply #273 on: August 16, 2008, 07:30:46 AM »
Now that Burnside has opened the door so that brigade's can put money towards buying an appliance for their area I think we should all be allowed to do it...If we are able to to do fundraising then do it  and put what ever money you can towards THAT type two pumper or a toilet in your station go for it...as Pip said it will be very hard in a small community to do this but there are ways...Bunnings will allow you to hold BBQ'S at there site once its open PIP and all money you make on the day is yours.....

I would like to know who will be paying for the upkeep and maintenance on the new burnside pumper?? Could we adopt a CFA brigade appliances policy if the brigade was to buy the appliance 100% would CFS  pay for Fuel and maintenance and help with the change over in 20 years???

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 16, 2008, 08:01:34 AM »
Well, considering a similar situation is occuring in Sturt Group as well, with State kicking in a chassis and body build and Sturt Group funding a self contained CAFS unit for a new Eden Hills appliance...

Meant to be a QAV to fill out there SFECs, but has somehow turned into a 1400L [i believe] dual cab hino [was a canter? but now a small hino?] so a bit large. But who really cares, another truck on the road!

Anyway the point among that ramblee is, already happened twice, surely it will keep happening.   :?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:13:41 AM by OMGWTF »

anything