Author Topic: Responding to calls  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Master of Disaster

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Responding to calls
« on: November 17, 2007, 07:05:49 PM »
Hi guys, I was just speaking to my cousin in USA and he is in the VFD over there and he told me they can respond to the station lights and sirens in there personal vehicle to the station or to the fire/rescue, should we consider that for us guys that are in urban brigades??

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Responding to calls
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 07:12:36 PM »
And how many fire -fighters in the US are killed or injured driving to the station to get to the fire call.... I suggest there are many........ :-(

And to enable members to exceed the speed limit etc in their own vehicles, on the way to the station, would require a change to legislation...

Since it took the State Government three years to change legislation that had bipartisan support AND the Government admitted that it was not what they actually meant when they enacted it, trying to get something changed that doesn't have bipartisan support, and doesn't buy votes (and probably requires Nationwide agreement, being part of the Australian Road Rules) - I can't see the State Government supporting it, or even being interested in looking at it.

And we have enough idiots on the road, don't add any more people driving like idiots!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 07:19:27 PM »
There is no Emergency so great that creates another Emergency :wink:

We are not USA, or have the population or the volume of calls as they do, so NO!
Images are copyright

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 09:12:20 PM »
For info on this topic, every state is different. Some don't allow it at all, some only allow lights as a "courtesy" and their is no law for people to yield for them, some only allow VFD Chiefs to run lights, and some allow lights and sirens and provide to laws to follow..

Also, enroute/onscene F/F fatalities are the second highest cause of LODD in the USA, number 1 is Cardiac/Heart related deaths. (Vol accidents driving to scene's in personal vehicles is above apparatus accidents).

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 09:21:07 PM »
Definetly NO this has been covered in other forums, as was said previously driving like idiots. And can people honestly say that there private car is as road worthy as our appliances. And I no my car is a lot faster than our trucks - recipe for disaster. Very bad idea.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 02:50:55 AM »
Ok yeah i agree we don't want anymore idiots to join the service, maybe a courtesy light that seems like a good idea just inform the public that we are responding to a call?? :wink:

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 06:22:19 AM »
Ok yeah i agree we don't want anymore idiots to join the service, maybe a courtesy light that seems like a good idea just inform the public that we are responding to a call?? :wink:

Thats what alot of the states that allow lights are doing these days.. They will let the Vol members have a dash or magnetic light which lets everyone else know they are responding to an emergency. They still have to obide by the law, but it gives others the option to get out of their way.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 02:46:10 PM »
haha that would be good what do people think of that?? :?

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 04:04:02 PM »
Why if nobody moves for a big white fire truck with lights and siren going why will they move for a small car doing the right speed?

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 04:27:07 PM »
Exactly - waste of time. Mind you I would move if I saw your truck coming its certainly a presence on the road & thats what the bullbar is for :-D joking of course!
Ken
just another retard!

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 04:31:56 PM »
No thanks, why cause any more problems with the public and traffic,they dont need to hear 10 or 20 sirens and flashing lights.. keep it simple and safe for all.....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 05:41:21 PM »
Mind you, in the US a large percentage of their volunteer services allow their members to respond to the incident in their private vehicles.

There is no need to have volunteers running around with lights and sirens on private cars. The only way something like this could work would be if you had the lights/sirens working from the receipt of the page and for 6 minutes afterwards.

All in all, its not needed.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 06:35:38 PM »
The only time a amber beacon would be useful on private vehicles is if you come across the scene of an accident or fire and providing traffic control thats why i've got a beacon for my car incase its needs for that reason
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 06:56:47 PM »
The only time a amber beacon would be useful on private vehicles is if you come across the scene of an accident or fire and providing traffic control thats why i've got a beacon for my car incase its needs for that reason

Hahahahahahaha
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 03:42:50 AM »

I guess that improves your visibility but don't count on it to save your bacon.

2 weeks ago, a mate in NSWRFS pulled up on the side of the road to help another vollie who'd broken down. It was night, good visibility, he had his hazards plus amber beacons going.
The truck ripped the side out of his 4WD, slammed into his mate's car & tossed him away off the side of the road.  No broken bones, but certainly very sore.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 04:05:10 PM »
Thats because some truck drivers dont give a filtered :evil:
Images are copyright