Author Topic: Urban Fire Station Contruction  (Read 17714 times)

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Re: Urban Fire Station Contruction
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2006, 11:02:36 PM »
When i was at Bordertown we had a new station built for us.  It was tin yes but was very well laid out and comfortable to work in..  And yes i thought it looked good.  Brick does look good but when the CFS is forced to work with a small budget they need to concentrate on more important things then the look of stations.

Camo
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
Compton CFS Website

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 05:23:53 PM »
Morphett Vale has setup two traffic light relays that we can activate by calling the traffic control center, you simply quote a number and the lights will hopefully be green when you get to them.

The situation at Seaford is different, they have a physical connection to the traffic lights at the corner of Seaford road and Commercial road with a button in the radio room to activate them.

probie_boy

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 10:02:35 AM »
thats cool.

no traffic lights to worry about in my response area. Still no shortage of loser drivers to make up for it!

rescue5271

« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 12:56:52 PM »
NO traffic lights here,but new round abouts going in boy hope we can drive over them like the old days :roll:

probie_boy

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 12:48:21 PM »
yeah, give the driver a bit more 4wd experience.

i agree. Im shooting down my own theory now, brick stations, although they look good, are expensive.

below is what I believe one of the best semi urban type stations and would be fine in a place like morphett vale.

avail, the mighty bridgewater station!

makes a good group base. 3 bays for trucks, group car bays,Radio rooms, offices, kitchens, BA room, large meeting room with all the toys, huge PPE storage area that could also probably fit another truck if need be.
we also used to have a little transport bus thing for transporting replacment crews, but im not sure if we still have that. Either way, I reckon this would be great for a super busy urban station.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2006, 12:58:33 PM »
NO traffic lights here,but new round abouts going in boy hope we can drive over them like the old days :roll:

So that is why the 4wd trucks are soooo high  :roll:
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Toast

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2006, 01:36:23 PM »
Probie boy, as good as that station is, it is crippled by having what they term these days a 'Group Base'. Hence the best semi urban type station is one that used to be the group base and thus has all the room from the group base, with 110% LESS uslessness! Not to mention the five bays, workshop, storage room packed with god knows what, asbestos roof, fading signage and the licensed bar! All hidden away from the public veiw, with no roadside signage whatso ever and the bonus of the public parking in our carparks and occasionly IN FRONT OF THE DAMN DOORS.

Oh by the way, its for sale... anyone got a spare few million they want to throw our way?....Please?

probie_boy

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2006, 02:29:34 PM »
hahahaha. yeah whats the current situation with that toast?

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2006, 05:11:07 PM »
where is that station?

Camo
Compton CFS Website

Toast

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 06:15:20 PM »
Its the champion Stirling CFS Station, located at 9 Avenue Rd. Stirling

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2006, 07:51:19 PM »
and the bonus of the public parking in our carparks and occasionly IN FRONT OF THE DAMN DOORS.
Mate if they park in the station carpark box em' in like we do they'll get the message after they're trapped there for a while  :-)
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 09:11:19 AM »
or if its an emergency, break the window, and roll it out the way, theyll get the message...

not sure re; the legality of that... but sounds fun.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 09:35:53 AM »
ie. in the first few scenes of backdraft perhaps.....  :roll: lol

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 10:32:56 AM »
AHHH great movie that one...

but seriously... what else would ya do, if you needed to get the truck out in a hurry and the person was nowhere to be found?

would it be a case for a defualt brigadeor what?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2006, 10:50:41 AM »
Isnt that why they gave us bullbars????  :wink: jk

Default would be the first thing, as either was you look at it there is going to be a reasonable delay to turn out.

Toast

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2006, 05:15:35 PM »
Glass hammer to the window, pull the hand brake, roll it out of the way. It would depend on the call of course. Default for a tree down, smash and move for RCR, persons trapped.  Its not like the place is not well sign posted. There are around... 9 I think, signs stating NOT to park in front of the station.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2006, 05:59:56 PM »
mmm i think your on the ball toast, personally id move it myself for anything other than a smoke investigation or tree down... i rekon. plus... it'd be fun.  :-D

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2006, 07:30:46 PM »
Imagine having monster truck style CFS appliances you would be able to run over the top of cars blocking your response to a call out  :lol:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2006, 01:38:24 AM »
If the car was small enough Robert, you could probably have some monster truck fun with a 24 (If it had a massive bull bar) :D ;)

probie_boy

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2006, 10:17:29 AM »
Imagine having monster truck style CFS appliances you would be able to run over the top of cars blocking your response to a call out  :lol:

you're an idiot rob 8-)

probie_boy

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2006, 10:20:07 AM »
Glass hammer to the window, pull the hand brake, roll it out of the way. It would depend on the call of course. Default for a tree down, smash and move for RCR, persons trapped.  Its not like the place is not well sign posted. There are around... 9 I think, signs stating NOT to park in front of the station.

it doesn't help your case though toast that you have a kindergarten next door, a theatre across the driveway and a park behind that. Is it a bitch to park your car for a callout when something is on at the theatre or when parents are picking up kids from the kindy?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2006, 10:38:20 AM »
Perhaps CFS needs some kind of "parking ticket" system to fix this...

clearly mark all CFS stations, with no parking areas and FF parking only areas, if someone parks where they shouldnt (regardless of time or if the brigade has a call) then a member that notices, takes a photo (with the date/time capture thingy turned on), and forwards all photos to HQ at the end of the month with a summary sheet, and tickets are handed out....?

could work, and get the message out to 'repeat offenders'...

PF_

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2006, 10:39:39 AM »
Forward it onto the cops, they can deal with it.  Erases the hassle of having to set up something with HQ.

probie_boy

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2006, 10:56:41 AM »
yeah mede, that could work. However, my station sits next to a general store. our carpark is on top of a small hill and the station is below. it sits on a blind corner so we have a driveway on both sides. so what ends up happening to us sometimes is that delivery trucks from the general store come up and turn around in our carpark during the day. luckily, it hasn't affected us during a call out, but the potentials there.