Author Topic: voting rights  (Read 6427 times)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
voting rights
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:00:15 PM »
What sort of rules do various brigades have in relation to voting rights at brigade elections? One that I was a member of allowed auxillary members to vote for brigade office bearers and senior firefighters etc. Even though some of these auxillary members didnt know some of the firies very well if at all. There was no minimum attendance requirement for training nights or meetings to maintain these voting privilages. One thing that I didnt agree with.

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: voting rights
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 06:10:39 PM »
I believe there is some sort of official policy as to turnout and training requirements to allow voting status. If anyone knows would be great if they could post. This is an interesting topic, and one that is being talked about due to the "old brigade" feel at a friends brigade. Even though their election is still 15 months off...

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 09:22:36 PM »
If you are a member of the brigade, either Active or Aux, you have a right to vote.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 07:38:04 AM »
It is up to the individual brigade to set the requirements in their /standing orders isnt it.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 11:57:57 AM »
Brigades may have individual constitutional rights for members. However I don't see how they should be able to get away with stopping people voting if they are a member of the brigade.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 12:05:20 PM »
One reason to stop people who don't attend often from voting is the risk of an unfair outcome. I have seen it first hand when the mates of the officers would maintain auxillary status and vote at elections. I was a senior and didn't even know these guys names. Now that's not right!

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 12:13:29 PM »
No, its not right. But they have that constitutional right, as a member, to cast a vote.

If its a problem, fix it from the outset. Even aux. members are required to meet a minimum attendance standard for meetings etc. If they aren't, find out why, and work through ways to either A)Lift their attendance or B)Rid them from the books.

Might sound like a harsh reality considering we are part of a volunteer service, but at the end of the day if those people are only staying on the books to bias elections, then move them on and create a space which could be filled by someone more willing to help the community.

MVO.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 04:25:58 PM »
Voting at brigade / Group elections is not necessarily a Constitutional right...it all depends on what your constitution says.

The bulk of brigades have probably got the standard constitution - which allows all members of that brigade / group to vote, but there are some, I believe have made changes, and probably some others who are looking to make changes, which restrict certain categories of membership from voting on certain positions - eg only active members may vote for operational positions

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 07:55:15 AM »
In our brigade aux and all members vote,  its their right and they should be allowed to vote as they are part of the brigade. I think that members who only come along to vote and do one or two training sessions a year should not have that right to vote. Our aux members are very active and know all the officers and the brigade I think they call it TEAM WORK.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 03:02:11 PM »
TEAM Work, think i've heard that word somewhere before?
hmmm...

Like they say, theres no me in team, oh hang on, yes there is...

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 04:55:16 PM »
Having people that never turn up vote is like asking a stranger off the street to vote for the captain of your brigade.

Having said that Footy lets wait until after the next election to say something as we might need the extra votes  :-D

Just kidding
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 06:07:20 PM »
dunno bout you camo, but i reckon my position of senior scheiße Kicker is firmly in the bag, unless those damn newbies keep comin in, then ppl will be expecting that i know what im talkin about, how can i be expected to fake knowledge both at work and at CFS dammit...

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 09:04:13 PM »
I'll vote for you if you SHUT UP FOR A WHILE!!!!  :-D  :roll:

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 05:43:30 PM »
he must be the red head in compton.........
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 07:12:19 AM »
he must be the red head in compton.........

Your statement assumes there is just one  :wink:  :lol:

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 09:40:27 PM »
At the last group meeting the their was occasion on changes to the SAFECOMM regulation to make members more accountable for voting i.e taking away the vote from those irregular (non) attenders. The problem is not who can vote in brigade but what are we voting for is more to the question. As what is popular and what is right is not always the same alternatively what makes the better leader than some beside being popular. as  the telephone directory say we are a "professionals protecting our communities"
keep it simple for sanity skes please