Author Topic: NSW residents sue  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
NSW residents sue
« on: March 14, 2007, 05:58:25 PM »
Some people are never grateful, even the firies are selling out.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=254579

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: NSW residents sue
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 09:23:03 PM »
Sorry, I missed in what way this was to do with the firies selling out?
Isn't it the community members bringing a claim against RFS and others?

Yet another challenge for CFS into the future - a society with a much greater propensity for litigation.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:05:23 PM »
Not just in the future......a group of people launched legal action against the CFS over the handling of the Black Tuesday bushfires, claiming that it was because of the CFS's actions or lack thereof that the fire on the Monday night escaped, and created the destruction on Tuesday.

But all of that seems to have gone quiet now...with some interesting evidence being put before the Coroner, in relation to where the Black Tuesday fire actually escaped, and if it was the responsibility of CFS or otherwise....that is what the Coroner needs to consider (amongst a lot of other stuff!)

I suspect that the legal action will be on hold, until the Coroner makes a finding......

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 07:18:09 AM »
It makes you wonder; will people be reluctant to take on roles of responsibility in the future?

I guess once a fire gets to the Canberra or Black Tuesday scale, the management is assumed by paid staff. But that doesn't stop extremely close scrutiny of every decision.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 06:18:30 PM »
I quote
`The court was told that a 2003 inquest into the fires heard from a fire brigade controller who said if they had been given adequate warning, they would have saved all the buildings in Warragamba.`

Now that is a big call to make>>>

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 07:38:09 PM »
Look, hindsight is a brilliant thing. if i could redo many if the decisions in my 1 fire season i can think of many that i could do better. We need to respect our OIC's for taking on the responsibility that they do, and more often than we would like they have to make hard calls that could be much better if they new what would happen in 3 hours or 10 days but they Don't. CFS needs to somehow bring back the fact that most of us are Volunteers giving up our time to help and if people sue us for that Would you go to them in an emergency?

w

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 07:44:14 PM »
scheiße,its a hard call your dammed if you do and dammned if you dont: what may seem to be the right thing at the right time may not in the end...Your actions no matter if you are a Volunteer or paid staff will be put to the test on the stand. You just hope and pray that people stand by you for your actions on that day.....
blinky bill
my view only

anything