Author Topic: call signs  (Read 6581 times)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
call signs
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:31:24 PM »
What is the deal with CFS call signs lately. Some brigades have pumpers with rescue gear on them but they use the call sign Rescue. Others have the same type of appliance with rescue gear but use the call sign Pumper,24P etc. The thing is if you say Rescue that doesnt indicate any water capacity etc and it could get confused with rescue appliances with no water like Naracoorte and Aldinga Beach etc. I thought this would be a standard call sign issue.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: call signs
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:35:57 PM »
Not sure what the go is but millicent call their pumper,rescue would it not be better to call it pumper/rescue??? same with 24p or 34p that have RCR on it why not call them 24/34p rescue?? sounds good to me.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:38:27 PM »
you would think that standard call sign s would make sense..... but in some cases that just wouldnt be crank...

the only pumpers that i can think of that get called rescue are millicent & barker... and in both cases i believe it is because that appliance is primarily there rescue truck, and if called for a structure job theyll send something else first...

would be nice to be able to know exaclty what to expect by an appliances call sign though... i agree.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 09:38:53 PM »
bill - there ya go another callsign  :wink: "pumprescue"

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 11:05:57 PM »
When we used to have our 24 we would use the call sign 24rescue for MVA jobs but stopped that when we got our 24P????
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Stefan KIRKMOE

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 11:09:47 PM »
a number of years ago Burnside tried to have varied the callsign of our pumper to "Burnside Pump Rescue" given the tasks it performs so people know it's a rescue also however CFS quashed this stating that it's not a "standard callsign"... So if anyone wants to vary callsigns it has to go through HQ staff so good luck!

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »
Is it that important. as i would assume that littehampton knows that mtbarker rescue is a pumper and that Seaford would know what is carried on Happy valley pumper.  It is something you need to know where the nearest 1 or 2 RCR and HAZMAT brigades are so the call should be as simple as possible to avoid clogging up the radios.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 04:20:37 PM »
These brigades know then have rescue gear on them and so does comms.....do they really need to broadcast it across the radios?

Just keep it simple and have a standard pumper call sign.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 05:53:23 PM »
Call signs should be kept as simple as possible, and neighbouring brigades should know what who has... e.g. Seaford Pumper carries RCR gear, and Lighting... MV24P carries a reciprocating saw... Seaford Logistics Vehcle has a 5,000 L damm, MV 14 is CAFS, Aldinga Rescue is rescue only, no water...
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 08:52:33 PM »
its not as simple as having whatever callsign they feel like guys...

callsigns should represent what that vehicle is capable of. that way it is simple for any brigade (that may not be neighouring) to see an appliance and know what they can expect from it.... every appliance has little bits n pieces added to it, the callsign doesnt neeed to reflect this.

however, if an appliance is an RCR resource (a real one like aldinga's, not seaford's 24p for instance (no not slagging seaford so calm down...) then IMO it should be labelled either "pumprescue" if it has a fire fighting capability, or "rescue" if its a dedicated...

see... easy for all. then there are the other callsigns that already make sense, 24P, 34, 14, etc....

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 11:35:34 PM »
yes....then you ask across the border for a tanker and rather than getting a large tank of water on wheels you'll get a pumper  :?  :-P

And second to that - I want a schooner, not a pot!  :lol:

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 12:02:40 AM »
While we have some defined callsigns, the current system needs a bit of a clean up.

My Group could send a strike team of "14's" - but if you didn't specifically know the area, you could end up not getting what you wanted.....

In nine 14's, two are twin cabs, and each carry 1000 Litres of water.  One is a sort of twin cab carrying 1000 litres.  Two are single cabs, with 1000 litres, four are single cab Toyota Landcruisers, capable of carrying two people, and only 450 litres of water..... but they are all labelled (currently) as "14".

I suppose you know that they are 4 wheel drives!!!!
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 12:19:18 AM »
then surely the landys could be labelled as "QAVs" ? im sure they would fit that description?

Offline Pixie

• Seaford Lt#2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 12:28:27 AM »
however, if an appliance is an RCR resource (a real one like aldinga's, not seaford's 24p for instance (no not slagging seaford so calm down...) then IMO it should be labelled either "pumprescue" if it has a fire fighting capability, or "rescue" if its a dedicated...

That would have to have been the first noni-ant seaford CFS thing i have read all day...Seaford no longer has a 24P, we have a pumper, how do you describe an appliance with rapid intervention, but not RCR??

I think if an officer doesn't know the capabilities of trucks from neighbouring brigades, they shouldn't be officer! as for working out of area, what would a rescue resource be doing out of its area?

As for my opinion on HAZMAT appliances, they should always be using the callsign HAZMAT for a HAZMAT incident, or their normal appliance call sign for non-HAZMAT job.
SACFS
Seaford Brigade
Lieutenant 2

**My View only, does not reflect that of the Seaford Brigade or SACFS**

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 12:44:42 AM »
Dont worry boys our system is better than some of our interstate counterparts so dont worry about your Pumper Tanker,as a Slip On will be there soon with an SEV,not to mention a Support car,an LP,HP,Telesquirt and a Skyjet,followed closely by a Bronto or an Abbey... :lol: :lol:

And did I mention the PAGER SITE is back on :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 07:33:35 AM »
That would have to have been the first noni-ant seaford CFS thing i have read all day...Seaford no longer has a 24P, we have a pumper, how do you describe an appliance with rapid intervention, but not RCR??

aeafird pumper is not a rescue resource though, which was my point. rapid intervention would not mean it gets ther 'rescue' callsign in my little world.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 01:36:09 PM »
What is the deal with CFS call signs lately. Some brigades have pumpers with rescue gear on them but they use the call sign Rescue. Others have the same type of appliance with rescue gear but use the call sign Pumper,24P etc. The thing is if you say Rescue that doesnt indicate any water capacity etc and it could get confused with rescue appliances with no water like Naracoorte and Aldinga Beach etc. I thought this would be a standard call sign issue.

Its a pet hate of mine...

But..

It's simple.  People do their own thing, they can't be arsed with taking direction or doing what they are told / should be doing.  They call things what they want and how they want.. They can't be told, and they will never change.. Unfortunately its the world we live in.. - .. Same as when people toggle their mic with "Blah 14P, this is blah 24.. " - You think.. "Hmmm.. When did those appliances come into service! "

Some days you just want to jump through the Mic and slap them in the face with the jack ! Is it really that hard for pepople to get it right !! ??

End rant... 

8-)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:07:34 AM by RescueHazmat »

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »

I think if an officer doesn't know the capabilities of trucks from neighbouring brigades, they shouldn't be officer! as for working out of area, what would a rescue resource be doing out of its area?

But you then assume that you only work with your neighbouring brigades....CFS is no longer just a local thing...so when your appliances go on a strike team to another Group, another Region, or even another state, how are people who haven't even heard of your brigade, know what resources your appliance has?

For example, major bushfire on Black Tuesday at Mt Osmond.  The fire got into a shed, and crews grabbed their BA and got to work....how do you know what is carried on the appliance?

In Sydney in 1994, crews went to fight bushfires, and while going back to their accommodation, came across a road crash.  One of the appliances had RCR gear on board, and used it (as to why it was still on board, is another story!). How does a strike team leader know that the appliance had rescue gear there, if the appliance was from another area?

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2007, 01:03:25 PM »
In Sydney in 1994, crews went to fight bushfires, and while going back to their accommodation, came across a road crash.  One of the appliances had RCR gear on board, and used it (as to why it was still on board, is another story!). How does a strike team leader know that the appliance had rescue gear there, if the appliance was from another area?

lol that would have been impressive, twenty or so appliances at a single prang!!! lol....

carrying on from this though, i guess its as simple as second rescue going to a call.. quite often appliances will respond huge distances... say there is a prang in clarendon, first rescue is Meadows 24p, second is blackwood rescue if meadows cant go or get a full crew... so whats the differance in stowage? can be nice for the rescue officer to know... of course in theory they at least carry the minimum.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2007, 07:38:24 AM »
Appliance callsigns are based on what their primary role is so even though Burnside has RCR equipment,its primary use is a pumper.Likewise with Seaford Pumper that is its primary role and as it is not in the RCRD not classed as rescue even though they have rapid intervention.

O'Halloran Hill 421 also has rapid intervention but is not a RESCUE   
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2007, 07:23:29 PM »
Our way of appliances call signs is great if you ask me,but I would have to agree that some 14 should be called quick attacks as they only hold less than 500lts of water. I went to KI some years ago and one of the 24 there was from a main land brigade and it still had a full set of RCR gear on it......Not sure why they did not remove it....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 10:42:41 PM »
Our way of appliances call signs is great if you ask me,but I would have to agree that some 14 should be called quick attacks as they only hold less than 500lts of water. I went to KI some years ago and one of the 24 there was from a main land brigade and it still had a full set of RCR gear on it......Not sure why they did not remove it....

That was a backup to the KI brigades RCR :-P
Images are copyright

anything