Author Topic: CFS appliances using ferries  (Read 12096 times)

uniden

CFS appliances using ferries
« on: November 23, 2007, 02:03:32 PM »
There was an article in the Advertiser on Tuesday about the new weight restrictions on some Murray River ferries. Someone stated that CFS appliances wouldnt be able to use the ferries due to the 12 tonne limit being applied to some of the ferries. It was stated that many CFS appliances weigh around 20 tonnes. Forgive me if I am wrong but I believe that most CFS units would be well under 15 tonne. Apart from the Tankers. Cant see too many dramas with the majority of appliances on the ferry.

rescue5271

Re: CFS appliances using ferries
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 02:06:26 PM »
The other issue was the declining water level in the river,time for some hovercraft fire trucks....or send more 14 into those areas...

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 02:10:52 PM »
There was an article in the Advertiser on Tuesday about the new weight restrictions on some Murray River ferries. Someone stated that CFS appliances wouldnt be able to use the ferries due to the 12 tonne limit being applied to some of the ferries. It was stated that many CFS appliances weigh around 20 tonnes. Forgive me if I am wrong but I believe that most CFS units would be well under 15 tonne. Apart from the Tankers. Cant see too many dramas with the majority of appliances on the ferry.

believe our standard 24 is 16tonne....

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
Almost all CFS appliances (excluding Tankers) weigh under 15 tonne....

The mid 1990's 24's - one of which is in my brigade, weighs 9 tonne, excluding crew....

The 1990's style 34's are a little heavier...I think around 12 - 13 tonne.... I would expect the current batch of new 34's to be around that weight as well... certainly not 20 tonne!!

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 02:21:10 PM »
weighs 9 tonne, excluding crew....

ahhh well that explains my extra 7 tonne... hehehe

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 03:53:09 PM »
weighs 9 tonne, excluding crew....

ahhh well that explains my extra 7 tonne... hehehe

Sounds like you need to start loosing some weight Mack  :roll: :lol:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 03:57:38 PM »
Have heard that some ferris are going to close down soon.

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 04:01:57 PM »
Yes some ferries are closing from Monday and all this is due to no water in the river was talking to a mate who works for TSA and he said things will be hard no only for emergency vehicles but the public and transport in general.One would hope that CFS have come up with a plan to provide fire cover to some of these area's???

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 07:49:53 PM »
Hope your 24 doesn't weigh 16 tonnes mack as the MR licenced drivers would be breaching their licence. :-P :lol:

Our newer 34 comes in at about 13, the GVM isn't much more than that either
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 08:13:47 PM »
Hope your 24 doesn't weigh 16 tonnes mack as the MR licenced drivers would be breaching their licence. :-P :lol:

mmm im not sure where i have come up with the 16tonne then..... ill have to keep thinking.. haha

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 08:47:24 PM »

Wait a second, I drive a 16 ton red truck on a MR license....
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 08:57:12 PM »
Since you have admitted that, you'd better tell me where to send your "on the spot fine" for driving on an inappropriate licence !!    :evil:

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 09:05:21 PM »
Since you have admitted that, you'd better tell me where to send your "on the spot fine" for driving on an inappropriate licence !!    :evil:

Pip

Two Axles, GVM greater than 8 tonnes, Im safe!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 09:10:56 PM »
But it needs to be under 15 tonnes.....   :evil:

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 09:20:35 PM »
i did gasp at the sight of "17 tonne load limit" on the chassis of our 34P lol...but its a MR vehicle since its not tri-axle.  :evil:

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 09:22:08 PM »
Fine fine, how does 14.15 ton suit you?

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2007, 09:38:52 PM »
Those brigades that might be affected should of already, or shortly be receiving communication from the Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure.

The only ferry currently in danger of closing permanently is the Mannum Upstream ferry and seeing as there is another ferry within 10m of the closed one, there should not be an issue for emergency vehicles etc.

The others that are at risk will only close when conditions are such that they cannot operate and this is normally due to wind direction.  The water levels can vary up to 300mm depending on wind direction.  This may affect ferries such as Tailem Bend and Swan Reach.

If I was in work at the moment, I could get the full press release that was issued today regarding this, but suffice to say that the department realises the severity of this issue and is working with all concerned (eg school busses etc) to try and cover all the potential issues to the community.

It will not be easy though!

If you are in a brigade concerned and have not heard anything, have a chat with your local ferry operator, they may sort something with you directly, or put you in contact with the relevant people at the department (Transport Services based in Murray Bridge) - won't put the names and numbers here, PM me if you want them.
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 06:52:07 AM »
Thank god for the bridge down here as we would have been in trouble a while ago
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Crank

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 07:21:32 AM »

I dont mean to argue with a police officer but

Class: MR (previous classes: LT, LB) the holder may drive

* any motor vehicle covered by class LR
    * any motor vehicle with 2 axles and a GVM greater than 8000 kg
      eg 2 axle trucks, tippers and buses.

* 3 axle motor vehicles, but only where the GVM is 8000 kg or less
    * any special purpose vehicle with two or more axles and an unladen mass not exceeding 15000 kg
    * medium articulated vehicles, provided the GVM of the towing vehicle does not exceed 8000 kg

may tow

* any farm implement or any trailer with a GVM not exceeding 9000 kg, provided it is within the GCM of the towing vehicle

may not drive

* an articulated motor vehicle where the GVM of the towing vehicle exceeds 8000 kg
    * the combination of a vehicle and trailer where the GVM of the trailer exceeds 9000 kg
    * motor bikes or motor trikes

Minimum age/driving experience

* must have held a class C Driver’s Licence for at least one year
      Driver’s Licence must be carried if driving a vehicle over 8000 kg GVM.

Posted from Transport SA Site.

rescue5271

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 09:31:34 AM »
Hey Al,time for a satelight station over that bridge......

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 10:25:14 AM »
Those brigades that might be affected should of already, or shortly be receiving communication from the Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure.

The only ferry currently in danger of closing permanently is the Mannum Upstream ferry and seeing as there is another ferry within 10m of the closed one, there should not be an issue for emergency vehicles etc.

The others that are at risk will only close when conditions are such that they cannot operate and this is normally due to wind direction.  The water levels can vary up to 300mm depending on wind direction.  This may affect ferries such as Tailem Bend and Swan Reach.

If I was in work at the moment, I could get the full press release that was issued today regarding this, but suffice to say that the department realises the severity of this issue and is working with all concerned (eg school busses etc) to try and cover all the potential issues to the community.

It will not be easy though!

If you are in a brigade concerned and have not heard anything, have a chat with your local ferry operator, they may sort something with you directly, or put you in contact with the relevant people at the department (Transport Services based in Murray Bridge) - won't put the names and numbers here, PM me if you want them.

I was wondering about the Ferry at Lyurp,Morgan and Cadell

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 09:15:48 PM »
Hey Al,time for a satelight station over that bridge......

Could almost do that we have four members who live over there!

Nah it's only 5 mins drive to the marina and another 10 mins after that to the houses up the other end.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 08:30:34 AM »
Here you all go, copy of the press release issued recently with some supporting notes.
Note that the 12-Ton limit has not been chosen as an 'absolute' max weight, the issues are due to the ground clearances and angles created by/at the ferry by heavier or low-slung vehicles.  A letter is currently being drafted to send to all of the contractors that operate the ferries regarding this issue.

Media Release

Friday, 16 November 2007

DROPPING RIVER LEVELS THREATEN FERRY SERVICES

The drought’s impact on the River Murray will be further felt with the upstream Mannum Ferry to close as soon as next week - the first of six now under threat from dropping river levels.

DTEI’s Director of Road and Traffic Management, Flett Steele said the situation is now reached a point where this service will have to be suspended soon for the safety of all users.

“The on-going drought conditions have left us with little choice but to prepare everyone in the area that Mannum upstream ferry will have to close,” Mr Steele said.

“Fortunately the downstream service remains viable and by increasing the number of people working on this service during busy periods it is our intention to reduce any delays that may be experienced.”

“However, we must also be prepared for the potential impacts on other ferries downstream of Lock 1.”

Falling river levels are the primary reason services are impacted and a 12 tonne weight restriction is applied – predominantly applying to semi trailers and truck/trailer combinations.

Based on river level modelling ferries at Tailem Bend, Walker Flat, Purnong, Swan Reach will soon be subject to such weight restrictions.

Predicted weight restrictions are likely to be effective from:

   December 2007   Tailem Bend      (Alternative – Swanport Bridge)
   January 2008      Walker Flat, Purnong  (Alternative – Blanchetown/Swanport Bridge)
   March 2008      Swan Reach      (Alternative – Blanchetown Bridge)

Wellington and Narrung ferry services should continue to operate unrestricted for now.

“It is vitally important we give all stakeholders the opportunity to be as prepared as possible because the reality is river levels continue to drop,” Mr Steele said.

“Any vehicles above the 12 tonne weight limit will need to make contingency plans.”

The Department for Transport, Energy and Infrastructure will work with emergency services, primary producers and school bus operators through this period.

At this stage ferry services above Lock 1 will not be affected.

It is important to note that at this point only the upstream ferry at Mannum will be affected and the other ferry at Mannum will continue to operate without restrictions.

As well, the drought effect predictions are based on the worst case scenario provided by DWLBC and as experience at Mannum has shown, these effects can be delayed if weather conditions are milder than anticipated.

One other influence on these predictions is the additional effect of prevailing winds.  North winds can temporarily lower the River level by up to 300mm and conversely winds from the South can temporarily raise the River level by up to 300mm.

PUBLICITY

The Department for Transport Energy and Infrastructure has a communications plan to advise those most likely to be significantly inconvenienced by restrictions to the ferry service.

This plan includes:

   Emergency Services (CFS, SES, SAAS, SAPOL)
   Local Councils
   Department for Education and Children’s Services and the Passenger Transport Board re: school bus access
   Local Schools
   Local communities
   Local transport operators

This communication is provided either directly via email/fax/telephone or indirectly through media releases.

Part of the plan includes the establishment of additional signs temporarily located at strategic points on roads in the affected area giving advice of disruptions and providing alternative River crossing routes. This plan is now in its final stages of introduction.

Information updates on drought effects on the ferry system will be provided as the situation changes.

Finally the Department is in the process of establishing a web site that will provide general information on the ferry system and will include any publicity on drought effects and disruptions.

A  FEW FACTS

   Normal pool level of the Lower Lakes is 0.75 mm
   Murray Darling Basin Commission weekly report advises pool level for week ending 14 November was 0.12 (a drop of 0.63)
   On current DWLBC river level predictions the upstream ferry at Mannum is the only one where service will be suspended.
   There will be a 12tonne weight restriction applied at Tailem Bend, Purnong, Walker Flat and Swan Reach but these ferries will otherwise remain in operation.
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 08:38:48 AM »
Judging by the comments given, it seems people think there is no upper weight limit on a MR licence....

not exceeding 15000 kg

My understanding was all appliances were based on a 13T chassis. For memory (and i will have to check) the 16T figure may come from the rated attachment point in the bullbar on the new 34's.....

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 09:23:43 AM »
Had a check last night. Meningie's new 34P is 13.5T