Author Topic: Spotfires  (Read 5663 times)

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Spotfires
« on: November 24, 2009, 11:36:36 AM »
MFS:1: *CFSRES INC024 24/11/09 11:18,RESPOND GRASS FIRE,NORTON SUMMIT RD,WOODFORDE MAP 120 F 4 TG182,SPOT FIRES SOUTHERN EDGE OF MORIALTA CON,SERVATION PARK -ADJACENT NORTON SUMMIT R,D, NEAR SECOND WATERFALL.,NORT00 BLP211 SAIR55

DEH overachiving once again..

The above DEH overachieving once again is a quote from zippy!  My question to y'all is, You have a set area to burnout in a predetermined time, to keep up with a scheduled burnplan and it starts to spotover,

(1) is this poor fire management as seems to be suggested?

(2)Or is this just one more part of the job, that we risk manage?

Me I am going with the second option, for my money that is why we brief crews beforehand on the importance of keeping a lookout!

Thoughts?
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Spotfires
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:03:47 PM »
Although in this case, was it actually spotfires, or simply smouldering stumps within the burnt patch, which a passerby called in, and gave the wrong terminology....?

It sounded like there was very little to be seen at this call when crews arrived...

Back to the actual question - of course spot fires are part of our job, as well as smouldering areas & hot spots.

Isn't that why we patrol a fire for some time after it appears extinguished.   

In the case of this burn, overnight temps were low & humidity high, and perhaps no requirement to leave crews on scene overnight - but you go back the next day to check it (which I understand DEH were doing)

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 12:40:09 PM »
yeah....but i was merely having a niggle at DEH...for the last time they did morialta over...

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 02:25:16 PM »
controlled burn....... spotfires usually indicate not quite so well controlled burn

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 01:57:08 AM »
The risk of spotfires is present and a part of the job of all hazard reduction burning. I think there is little doubt about that.

It is good management of the threat which sets apart differant crews [not necessarilly services] and whether or not an over-achievment is averted.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 12:27:55 PM »
CFS: *CFSRES: BOMBER 580 AND FIREBIRD 504 RESPOND GRASS FIRE, WOODFORDE, 288 DEGREES, 17 KMS FROM WAB. INC NO 874252

LOFT MGT: FYI aircraft have been responded to assist DEH at grass fire (Norton Summit Rd Woodforde - sounds like Morialta) TG108. GCO Dave 25/11/2009 13:45:36

:mrgreen:

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 12:43:52 PM »
Now the topic changes to CFS/DEH Interoperability: 

MFS: *CFSRES INC035 25/11/09 14:00,RESPOND GRASS FIRE,NORTON SUMMIT RD,WOODFORDE MAP 120 F 4 TG182,TG 157 - ASSIST DEH NORTHERN.,NORT42 CFS Norton Summit Response

TG 157 on CFS Radio's  goes to "MFS INC-03 157".
TG 157 on DEH Radio's  goes to a DEH Channel??

Worthwhile for DEH to operate on the local CFS groups Secondary GRN channel (127) ?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 01:52:02 PM »
Or, god forbid, the GRN would allow SAMFS/SACFS/DEH to all talk to each other...
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 02:59:33 PM »
they just have to use either a CFS or multi-agency talkgroup. In my opinion DEH should be using a multi-agency talkgroup for these burnoffs not a DEH TG as they are involving CFS crews/appliances as well (even before any little mishaps that may occur).

Yes I know it's a ridiculous situation but that's what we've got. CFS tried to get a common GRN codeplug in place between CFS/MFS/DEH/SES/FSA prior to the rollout of the new radios but for reasons that are beyond me it didn't happen.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 04:51:48 PM »
A bunch of those MFS...and CFS talkgroups arent used,  so reallocation? lol

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 08:16:16 PM »
I know this is abit off the topic but having recently assisted DEH with mop up/patrol of a fire last week they are very thorough when to comes to mopping up and blacking out hotspots so while its fun to have a lil dig at them for one thing we must bear in mind they do a good job   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline KDOO_BTO

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 05:51:27 PM »
I know this is abit off the topic but having recently assisted DEH with mop up/patrol of a fire last week they are very thorough when to comes to mopping up and blacking out hotspots so while its fun to have a lil dig at them for one thing we must bear in mind they do a good job   
I was at the same fire and they seemed to be doing more driving, looking and talking then actually fighting the fire.  I'd even say you did more than them and your main job was looking in the tank at the water level LMGDFAO
No ute No circle work