Author Topic: Sentencing for Arsonist!  (Read 4270 times)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Sentencing for Arsonist!
« on: September 22, 2005, 11:19:26 AM »
Below is a report from the Tiser!!!!

10 years - repeat offender, don't know about you but I think he got off lightly - nice to see a longer sentence (than his previous 32 months) but 20 years would have been nice!

Ten years' jail for serial arsonist
By Court Reporter ALEXANDRA ECONOMOU
22sep05
AN ARSONIST who set a national park ablaze in January has been jailed for 10 years under tough new laws.

In sentencing James Andrew Phillip Aplin in the District Court yesterday, Judge Michael David said it was lucky no one died when he caused a fire at the Para Wirra National Park, near Kalbeeba, north of Adelaide.

Aplin, of Ascot Park, was the first person sentenced under "zero-tolerance" bushfire laws, introduced in 2002, which carry a maximum 20-year jail term. His sentence has a non-parole period of four years.

Judge David said Aplin, 36, lit the fire on a windy 35C day and caused 6.5ha of the park to be burned. "The fire, although it was brought under control, came quite close to at least one residence," he said.

"Although, luckily, nobody was hurt or injured and there was no real property damage, nevertheless, that was no fault of yours.

"Bushfires, as we know, have a mind of their own and the fact is that anything could have happened and a life could have been lost."

The court previously heard Aplin was of low intelligence and had harmed himself by consuming rat poison and mercury. "There is some suggestion that the lighting of this fire . . . was, in fact, a suicide attempt," Judge David said. "It is clear that the public needs protection from your clear propensity, for whatever psychological reasons, to dangerously light fires."

In 1996, Aplin was jailed for at least 32 months for lighting fires at Greenhill and Heathfield that burned more than 400ha of land, threatened more than 20 homes and caused $400,000 damage.

A CFS officer was also injured in the fires.

Judge David said the January fire occurred about seven months after Aplin's parole expired.

"Your counsel tells me that the catalyst that caused you to commit this offence was a feeling of rejection and indeed a cry for help," he said.

"It is no consolation to victims who might get killed or . . . lose their entire possessions that the person who caused that by lighting the fire has deep psychological, if not psychiatric, problems."
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Steveg

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Sentencing for Arsonist!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 01:09:04 PM »
toss out the key!!!

strikeathird

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 04:37:14 PM »
Finally they are starting to lock up some of these crooks !

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 07:38:35 AM »
mmmmmmmmmmmm is he a crook or just a sick man who would be better of in a mental secure hospital for the four years rather than in a prison where he will mix with others???

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 08:56:49 AM »
blinky,

Having seen him in court following the fires he lit in Greenhill and Heathfield in 1996, he is not a sick man - the sick thing was his own testimony that he drank mercury for a party joke - a number of people testifed to this as well (SAMFS had responded to his party jokes to clean up the Murcury as a Hazmat)- he was known as the joker and said it would never hurt him.

It's people like these who repeat offend that should be locked up, yes they need help, but releasing them isn't going to give them that help, not will it help the community!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 10:36:43 AM »
This guy should be our test dummy for compartment fire training to see what happens when you DONT wear turnout gear or a BA set.

rescue5271

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 01:30:53 PM »
I am not saying let him of just that may be a mental that is secure would better suite him rather than a jail where he can brag about what he did...

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 01:37:28 PM »
I guess we should not speculate on the status of an individual. Rather I support our legal system which in this case has removed one threat that we just don't need.

I'm keen to get on with the job of preparing for summer and let the legal system do the thing they do. :-)

strikeathird

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 02:42:39 PM »
I am not saying let him of just that may be a mental that is secure would better suite him rather than a jail where he can brag about what he did...

I think we need to re-introduce capitol punishment !!

Why waste tax payers money !

corocfs

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 12:56:10 AM »
mmmmmmmmmmmm is he a crook or just a sick man who would be better of in a mental secure hospital for the four years rather than in a prison where he will mix with others???

oh yeah.. "im not a criminal.. im just sick, put me in hospital until i can make you think im better."

as soon as he's out he'll light another one, im pretty sure everyone knows that.

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 07:35:35 AM »
If the goverment wanted to make an example of this case the judge would have given him the full sentence not just four years,but there should have also been other conditions like seek medical/mental help in prison but I have not read that in the papers. With summer fast coming one would hope that this may stop other from lighting fire's but, I dont think so it will always happen till the goverment gets tuff and I DO MEAN TUFF...