Author Topic: GROUP'S JOINING  (Read 5153 times)

rescue5271

GROUP'S JOINING
« on: September 23, 2005, 07:44:08 AM »
Why is it that some smaller groups are now joining a group next to them that is of the same size?? lets see the corrong group has just joinned coonalpyn group and now there are 15 brigades in that group. does this mean that we are moving away from small groups and getting into large groups that are more harder to work with?????

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: GROUP'S JOINING
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 09:05:11 AM »
Think this depends on the resources that are already there and also the Regional Commander.

There are a number of people who were in the Coorong Group who post - maybe they could answer!

As for if it's a good thing - guess it depends who you ask and what the basis was for amalgamating the groups!

In some areas it would be a great idea (ie the Adelaide Hills) where they are on top of each other - in Regional areas the issue would be travel for meetings - apart from that the models for finance etc shouldn't make much differance if its 15 close together or 15 apart!

Some of the groups in Regions 4 & 6 are the size of the Lower South East - and they work, without too many problems :-D :-D :-D
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 02:01:11 PM »
The reason for groups joining is vast and varied and i would be here all day typing examples.
Ultimately it is the RC's decision.
Adam.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 02:02:36 PM »
The reason for groups joining is vast and varied and i would be here all day typing examples.
Ultimately it is the RC's decision.
Adam.

To make recommendations to the groups involved.

Wagon 1

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 12:34:56 PM »
I think you would be hard pressed to find a group with less than 8 brigades, a few in region 1 like Sturt and Victor Harbour (3 brigades I think). I guess they want to streamline things. By the way, who ended up as group officer and deputy for the new group Adam or Kat?

corocfs

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 02:39:49 PM »
umm right...

Sturt - 5 brigades
Victor Harbour -  3 brigades
Angaston - 5 brigades
Kimba - 4 brigades
Mundoo - 5 brigades
Barossa - 6 brigades
Flinders - 5 brigades
Black Rock - 5 brigades
Blyht/Snowtown - 5 brigades
Para - 5 brigades
Burra - 5 brigades

the list goes on quite a bit...

i think if you do a bit of research you'll find that the average group size is around 5-6 brigades.....

Wagon 1

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 04:22:16 AM »
But they are slowly being shrunk, there used to be a whole lot more groups than that, and I am sure there are plans afoot to reduce that number even more.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 12:15:13 PM »
Think Group size should also take into account geographical area. I know there are a lot larger Groups but I can tell you that as the former Coorong Group Training Officer, the old Group was large enough :-)
It took me six years to deliver training in each of the stations (6 at the time). Tailem Bend to Salt Creek is about 130kms.

It is no secret that I was very strongly opposed to the amalgamation of Coorong and Coonalpyn Groups and so were very many others within Coorong Group. I certainly would have been unwilling to continue in any Group capacity in a Group that large. The Region continually put this issue on the agenda for several years and it was opposed over and over again. In the end our Group only passed it as a concession to keep my Brigade within that Group. Unfortunately a meeting of a Brigade rep from each of the 15 Brigades in Coonaplyn and Coorong Groups voted for the Regions proposal of the amalgamtion minus Tailem Bend who were relocated to Swanport Group. This was against our Brigades and Groups wishes but was passed there by those who knew nothing of our Brigade or its requirements.

On the 15 Brigade thing though - scary thing is advice was that within 5 years several of those Brigades would no longer exist (apparently would be Brigade's voluntary wishes but I have yet to find one).
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 03:32:40 PM »
Kat - thanks for the informative post - always nice to hear from those involved rather than those who know someone, who know a person who was once involved.

I guess the 'theory' behind some closing down would be the reducing rural population - interesting though that this has been reported in various areas of the state for years, however there are few closing, rather they are reassessing their requirements - ie once a 34 with crew of 6 now a 14 or QAV with crew of 3 to 5 to operate - hence greater reliance on private appliances and larger towns but the community retains it's fire service - I'm sure there a couple down the road from you that would benefit from this, as there are state wide - ensures that the community maintains, when it wishes a fire service.

After all would be nice if the membership and community made a decision, not a bureaucrat sitting in an airconditioned office :-D

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 06:41:36 PM »
Providing these smaller rural Brigades with different resources is a good solution in my opinion.

I can't see the point in closing a Brigade with keen, active members.

Sure, a rural Brigade with 10 or so calls a year may not seem important but any rural fires in their current area will surely have the potential to be larger when waiting for resources from over 30km away. I also think it will place greater strain on the remaining Brigades to deliver services when they are likely already stretched.

As discussed in another post if you can only get 2 or 3 members out of these smaller Brigades it can really help to augment the "bigger" Brigade numbers particularly during "day" (work) hours.

I'd hate to see any Brigade around us go and would like to think that even if they felt that they were struggling that they'd receive support and assistance to stay rather than have the bureaucrats rub their hands together in glee :-( But I've always been a bit naiive.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 08:47:20 PM »
Believe Doug Spry (old Coonalpyn Group GO) is new supergroup GO and Sue Mickan (old Coonalpyn Group DGO) is DGO. Not sure what happened to former Coorong Group GO, former Coorong Group DGO was in Tailem Bend Brigade so now a happy white helmet in the relocated Brigade (and can't get him off front of hose).

Wagon 1

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 03:45:55 AM »
So its Coorong Group by name, not faces!

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 09:51:21 AM »
Thanks for the Info Kat - Good on Sue - she has stood fast and from what I have heard is learning the ropes of DGO work and working well with the punters on the Ground and better stil is well respected - excellent effort.

I hope you guys don't find it too hard settling into Swanport - you and Murray Bridge would have allot in common, so maybe a great opportunity to cross train and build a strong relationship :-)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 11:20:20 AM »
Believe Doug Spry (old Coonalpyn Group GO) is new supergroup GO and Sue Mickan (old Coonalpyn Group DGO) is DGO. Not sure what happened to former Coorong Group GO, former Coorong Group DGO was in Tailem Bend Brigade so now a happy white helmet in the relocated Brigade (and can't get him off front of hose).

Yes, Doug Spry is new Coorong GO, Ray Squires (former Coorong GO) is now Deputy 1 and Sue Mickan is Deputy 2.
Adam.

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 07:25:51 AM »
Yes kat nice to read the full story and I know there are a few in the group that are not happy about the change but I suppose that is life and if it means not closeing a few stations then so be.I can only see one problem and that would be the area that group members have to travel to jobs and that where possable the DGO's should be elected from (1) old coorong group and (1) from coonalpyn group do you only have they only have two DGO'S??? I would have said 3 or 4 now that the group is that large...