Author Topic: New BWC`s  (Read 14495 times)

uniden

New BWC`s
« on: December 29, 2007, 09:12:49 AM »
Have Macclesfield CFS got a new BWC ? Looked like a new tanker in the backround of a photo in a recent edition of `The Courier`. Looked a bit like this one.

rescue5271

Re: New BWC`s
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 03:18:51 PM »
Naracoorte group now has access to a 26,000LT BWC that belongs to the local council in the past we have been able to access a 11,000 and a 17,000 BWC that the council had so the bigger BWC comes at a good time.So far it has been used 3 times this month twice here in our group and did a trip to help CFA at Aplsye at a grass fire.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 11:16:59 PM »
Maccy & Mt Gambier are due to get these new BWC's...not sure when it is occurring.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 06:55:06 AM »
I would say very soon PIP,Gambier BWC is ready to go I guess we will see some movement next week from where it is down to the southeast,not sure where they will put it may be in the new compton station.....

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 07:00:57 AM »
how many litres is it - doesn't look like many. You guys should look at the Army BWC's, 20000 litres I think, 6x6, will go anywhere. Agree that when full they are over weight but in an emergency who cares?
Or have a look at the trucks civil construction uses for bulk water, same deal.
And is it necessary to build brand new trucks all of the time? Especially when it isn't a front line appliance or is it?
Up here there are plenty of "water carts" around, council, civil construction etc.
Anyway good luck with it, just it looks more like a bulk LPG truck than a water tanker.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

uniden

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 07:51:03 AM »
I believe Maccy already have theirs.
how many litres is it - doesn't look like many. You guys should look at the Army BWC's, 20000 litres I think, 6x6, will go anywhere. Agree that when full they are over weight but in an emergency who cares?
Or have a look at the trucks civil construction uses for bulk water, same deal.
And is it necessary to build brand new trucks all of the time? Especially when it isn't a front line appliance or is it?
Up here there are plenty of "water carts" around, council, civil construction etc.
Anyway good luck with it, just it looks more like a bulk LPG truck than a water tanker.
cheers
They are 13,000 litres hence the call sign BW13. CFS wouldnt want to get involved with overweight trucks. If something goes wrong then you take the can. BTW CFS have built a few tankers on used cab/chasssis like Chaffey, KI group, Lacepede group etc...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:05:49 AM »
Ok thanks, just it looks a bit small (capacity) and unstable (unusual shape for a liquid tanker), however if you guys reckon it will do the job - sweet!
cheers
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 08:28:22 AM by chook »
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Crank

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 09:49:37 AM »
Looks like a freedom transport tank but a little hard to confirm from that pic.

Why wouldnt you build a tanker on a new cab chassis?

You have a truck that will last 20-30 years & can hold 13000 litres compared to a 20 yr old truck that may last 5 or 10 & can only hold 5000-7000 litres.

Also looking at more reliability, easier access to parts, Firefighter comfort & vehicle performance. 

Sounds like a win win situation to me.  Hopefully the CFS will build alot more of these.

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 09:56:28 AM »
From what was said to me this is the last large BWC to be built for cfs due to cost which is some what harsh if the information is correct,in a time when water is hard to come by and with appliances having to travel long distances these large BWC are a great way to go. My group is lucky as we have the support of the local council where as some group's here in the southeast dont...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 10:01:11 AM »
Thats why the old Hahndorf Pumper,Happy Valley Pumper,Greenhill 32, and Eden Hills Pumper(Ford Louisville) have had the backs taken off them and are getting fitted as BWC's because CFS cant afford new trucks :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 10:21:10 AM »
Agree - but will it? New technologies in vehicle design etc. Secondhand Water tankers are on the market for 75k.
How much did this cost?
How often will they be used?
What was the cost benefit analysis? Was there alternatives?
As I said if you guys are happy, fine. However this seems like a reoccurring theme, buy new, have them sit around in sheds for years and then flog them off at a reduced price.
I can see in five years time someone on this forum complaining about "those old water tankers, 14s, 24s, 24ps, 34s, 34ps" and there isn't enough $$ to replace them.
Example - our Toyota Troopy & Holden Rodeo quick response are fairly old, however low ks & in good condition. Yet the members want them replaced, Why because they are not the latest cruiser/ Toyota dual cab ute or Ford F250. They don't have the latest mod cons, they do however have aircon & a FM wireless  :-D.
Then I look at our Rescue truck, one of the first in the fleet, less than 40,000 on the clock, a bit under powered (its a 500 not a 550), could do with a bit more useable space in the back. Could we have better - yes the new Victorian Rescue trucks are brilliant- exactly what I would want. Should we have better - no its not cost effective and would be a total waste of tax payers money. Would I accept one if it was issued - my oath!
As I said if you guys are happy - great, however I doubt if everyone will get one if they are all going to be built new on new chassis.
At least you will be able to change the tank onto a new chassis in a few years, that if the tanks don't deteriorate. Remember just cause you don't use something doesn't mean it won't wear out :wink:
Now where is that order form for a new EWP, forklift and oh yeh that front end loader I always wanted :evil:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 10:44:48 AM »
While I can't speak for other areas, the Tankers around my area get used in anger on a regular basis...certainly not sitting around in a shed doing nothing.

There are 4 Tankers in my Group, (ranging from 5000 to 13,000 litres) and it is not uncommon to have all 4 in use at the same time.   

They tend not to go off the roads, (and onto fire tracks) due to their size, and the fact they are two wheel drive. 

Only one has Airconditioning & the modern niceties (8 years old) ...the others are 18, 23 & 24 years old - but they do the job

Due to the terrain etc, it is generally a slow trip to get to a fill up point & return - so having more several Tanker can be very useful

Recycling of old chassis is not a bad thing BUT CFS is limited in how many old appliances they can convert to Tanker...they are looking for the heavier chassis I think it was the 12.5 tonne chassis and larger - and the vehicle needs to be in reasonable condition mechanically, before being considered for use in a new life as a CFS Tanker. 

The availability & cost of parts for the vehicle is also considered, before deciding to use the vehicle.

The chassis mentioned in another post have been sitting around for some time - I'm not sure if a decision has actually been made as to the whether they will be converted to Tankers or not...

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 10:48:43 AM »
Ok thanks Pip - as long as they are cost effective :wink:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 10:55:04 AM »
When the old Kalangadoo 34 was put out of commission after 20 years service it was converted into a water tanker and is being used by a construction company in Adelaide although i think it would have made a really good BWC for the CFS 
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 11:22:56 AM »
The chassis mentioned in another post have been sitting around for some time - I'm not sure if a decision has actually been made as to the whether they will be converted to Tankers or not...

Pip

Ive been told that the tender has gone out for the conversions :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Crank

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 11:29:01 AM »

At least you will be able to change the tank onto a new chassis in a few years, that if the tanks don't deteriorate. Remember just cause you don't use something doesn't mean it won't wear out :wink:

Dont count on that.....seen a tanker with one of those tanks on it..less than a year old and already leaking like a sive.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 11:36:47 AM »
Yeh...quality parts lol  :|

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 11:40:25 AM »
Yeh...quality parts lol  :|

Cheap Fire Service :roll:
Images are copyright

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 12:17:20 PM »
Ah so thats what CFS means :-D
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 12:21:32 PM »

Ive been told that the tender has gone out for the conversions :wink:

I hadn't heard anything re the conversions, so you may well be right!!   :-)

Pip

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 01:08:18 PM »
BWC are getting used more and more due to no water in rural area's,they can also be used for any other type of firefighting(hazmat/structural) it does not matter if its 7000 or 26,000lts its better than not having any water at all.would be nice to see more BWC here in the southeast that CFS own rather than use council BWC at a cost.Some groups down here have to pay for the use of council BWC and others dont....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 01:41:03 PM »
BWC are getting used more and more due to no water in rural area's,they can also be used for any other type of firefighting(hazmat/structural) it does not matter if its 7000 or 26,000lts its better than not having any water at all.would be nice to see more BWC here in the southeast that CFS own rather than use council BWC at a cost.Some groups down here have to pay for the use of council BWC and others dont....

You mean the council are'nt donating it out of the goodness of their hearts :?
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 01:49:59 PM »
In the Gambier,Wattle Range and Port Mac groups when ever theres a large grass or plantation fire some of the local logging companies and the councils donate their tankers to assist with water carting and not to forget the Milky tankers as well help out as well  :-)   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »
not sure where they will put it may be in the new compton station.....
mmmmmmm .. 2 trucks in a single bay station?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

rescue5271

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 03:38:50 PM »
Robert wattle range have to pay for the council tankers.........and any other tankers they use......