Author Topic: ICE - In Case Of Emergency  (Read 3340 times)

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
ICE - In Case Of Emergency
« on: August 13, 2005, 03:52:23 PM »
So has everybody had their ICE SMS's? (Suggesting people store their emergency contact in their mobiles under the contact name ICE) Do people think it's a good idea? The Advertiser had a poll to see if people thought it was a good idea and had a lukewarm negative response.

I understand that in other countries where it has taken off people have been swamped with email messages advising them that storing ICE in your phone will result in hackers interfering with your phone. This "urban myth" is reported to have put a lot of people off using the ICE number.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
Re: ICE - In Case Of Emergency
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 10:33:44 AM »
I Think It Would Be A Good Idea If Alot Of People Were To Start Using It & Knew What ICE Stood For.  Eg The Gov Might Need To Do A Few TV Ad Campains.

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 01:27:38 PM »
Hi there

I agree with the above statements - everything helps.

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 07:43:02 AM »
The idea has potential, although, i've found a few mobiles and 'home', 'mum' or 'dad' always seem like good bets to me.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 11:32:58 AM »
Official SAPOL line on I.C.E. is that they do not support it, and definitely don't support the circulating text via SMS and Email. SAAS is of the same opinion currently.

My personal belief is contact in emergencies is a SAPOL issue, and they have the means to currently follow that up. If urgent information is required about a persons medical or allergy history then I'd say you the proven Medi-Alert braclet system.
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 12:04:24 PM »
Two defined camps and pros and cons for both!

At least with the SAPol line, it prevents people who think they are 'doing the right thing' from contacting family with bad news - prior to the experts in the field assessing and stabilising the situation.

However,

It appears from on-line newspapers that other states and countries are supporting it whole heartedly and encouraging the concept.

If it's there it would be useful if used correctly, if it's not, there are the traditional, slower methods, that have the same result, over time!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

strikeathird

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 02:37:23 PM »
Exctly right Ozfire.   I think Sapol would be trying to avoid exactly that, having family members get told there sons/daughters/mothers/fathers have been killed or seriously injured, by a phone call from a random civilian.  Which would create alot more problems.  I dont think your phone can be hcaked through the I.C.E caller i.d  as has been suggested.

anything