Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2011  (Read 635110 times)

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: RECRUITMENT 2011
« Reply #250 on: May 24, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »
Works for me.

thanks

wicky

« Reply #251 on: May 24, 2011, 03:40:53 PM »
Didnt make it again. Moving on will not be doing it again.

The pyschometric test is flawed  :x

Are you sure about that?

POSITIVE.

wicky

« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2011, 03:45:30 PM »
Recruits fail personality test MICHAEL OWEN From: The Advertiser December 25, 2006 11:30PM
MORE than one-third of people wanting to join the Metropolitan Fire Service are rejected because of personality quirks.
Firefighters have described a new personality test as "flawed" and called for a review before the next intake early next year.

Latest MFS recruitment data, obtained by The Advertiser under Freedom of Information, shows that of the 443 people who sat the personality profile test for the first time last year, only 159 passed.

Just 50 of the 614 people who applied to become firefighters were successful during the most recent recruitment process.

The 8 per cent success rate confirms just how difficult it is to enter the profession, with the MFS saying it was "not unusual to have some people try up to six times to become an MFS officer".

According to the FoI documents, of 614 initial applicants, 531 were invited to undertake the recruitment process last year.

Stage one, the shuttle run, was failed by 41 potential recruits, while 279 were rejected during the personality profile/firefighter ability phase, 92 did not make it past the interview/assessment centre stage and 10 failed job-related task testing. No applicants failed the medical exam and one did not pass a police check.

MFS spokesman John Foody said the personality profile, used for the first time last year, was a "valuable tool to ensure potential firefighters are able to work closely, in pressure situations, with other firefighters from diverse backgrounds".

"People who are more sociable may be better suited to being in the fire service because you're working closely with your team for extended periods of time," he said.

"If you are too introverted or too domineering this doesn't best suit the role of a firefighter."

But United Fire Fighters Union of SA president Bill Jamieson said there were many cases in which intelligent, stable and well-adjusted people were rejected by the MFS for failing the personality test.

He said the union was not consulted before the test was introduced and demanded a full review of the recruitment process.

"I think it is flawed," he said.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:51:05 PM by wicky »

Offline BT085

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2011, 10:01:09 PM »
sorry to hear about ppl who hav had the bad news.. I verify my previous posts that it really is based on pych testing. As I did not finish maths questions (got up to question 16 and guessed the rest) also was not too confident with my reading comprehension... However I have made the interview. I believe it does go to show that really maths stuff doesnt matter (as long as u get the 4+9 stuff right) it really is based mostly on pych tsts and being the right fit.. An unfortunate process but I guess thats alll they can do

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 24, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »
just curious wicky seeing as the article is from 4 and a bit years ago did you check that it hasnt been changed since that article before making a decsion its flawed?
Lt. Goolwa CFS

flyonthewall

« Reply #255 on: May 24, 2011, 10:44:34 PM »
wicky, your article is outdated.

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 25, 2011, 08:28:51 AM »
I think as long as you get most of the maths questions correct, it all comes down to the Psyc test.
It was explained to me as you need to fit in (bell curve) a certain rang for the test. I have no idea what the range is. I have passed the test a while ago. I never finished all of the maths and for the word association. Well the last few questions was a guess. Quick fill in anything.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 25, 2011, 12:37:34 PM »
Failing the psych testing, then blaming the testing process.... maybe thats indicating something right there.

Monger

« Reply #258 on: May 25, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »
Failing the psych testing, then blaming the testing process.... maybe thats indicating something right there.

As i have said before you need a bit of luck to get thru to the last 150. You may have been suitable from the psych but not in the 150 they pick. It isnt a coincidence that approx 150 pass the psych every year

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 25, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »
Ferret, a couple of questions if you don't mind as you seem to be one not vying into the petty arguments.
1. Do the MFS open applications to the public every year or do they draw from a pool of people that just missed out the previous year until they need a bigger pool.
2. I failed the psych, which to be honest surprised and disappointed me as I thought I would make it to at least the interview,if I'm to sit it again and answer differently can they tell? do they keep a record of who has applied in the past and their results?

And to anyone else out there, what do you know about the airservices firies, I love what I do with the CFS hence the attempt to join the MFS but I would be just as happy with airservices as it's better than nothing.

Ta   

Offline hotfire

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »

How do you know what you failed in the test?
I received the letter with a #5 on it, does anyone know what this means? It doesn't say have a messed up on.. I gotta feeling it might be the phych.

Cheers

Offline kj

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 25, 2011, 03:11:43 PM »
I know I failed the psych because the aptitude test was so easy.

Monger

« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »
Ferret, a couple of questions if you don't mind as you seem to be one not vying into the petty arguments.
1. Do the MFS open applications to the public every year or do they draw from a pool of people that just missed out the previous year until they need a bigger pool.
2. I failed the psych, which to be honest surprised and disappointed me as I thought I would make it to at least the interview,if I'm to sit it again and answer differently can they tell? do they keep a record of who has applied in the past and their results?

And to anyone else out there, what do you know about the airservices firies, I love what I do with the CFS hence the attempt to join the MFS but I would be just as happy with airservices as it's better than nothing.

Ta   

Im not an expert on the recruitment but how often they call for applications depends on how many recruits they need due to retirements, new station etc. Have heard a rumour they will do 1 squad this year out of current group and maybe 1 or 2 more early next year from same lot if they need more. The psych testing is only valid for 1 year. Not sure if they would notice if you answered differently but you just need to make sure you are consistent with your answers throughout. The test is designed to catch people out who try to answer with responses they think the mfs would want. I would guess they have a record of if you have applied before, many people take 2 or 3 or even more times before they finally get in.

Offline hotfire

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 25, 2011, 04:14:01 PM »

ok.. Thanks ferret. I think I know what I stuffed up on... A couple of the questions that I answered I was not happy with. If I could answer the again I would have answered them differently.

wicky

« Reply #264 on: May 25, 2011, 07:09:12 PM »

Ok, Alex How would analyse this. I have given my answers.

1 a.) Do you own a firearm. False
  b.) Do you own more than three firearms. True

2 a.) Do you hunt animals. False
  b.) Do you prefer to shoot animals with a camera. True

A serious answer would be appreciated.  :-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:29:29 PM by wicky »

wicky

« Reply #265 on: May 25, 2011, 07:37:06 PM »

Its still relevant............

Monger

« Reply #266 on: May 25, 2011, 07:55:02 PM »

You do own a firearm so question 1a) should have been true aswell

Offline crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 25, 2011, 08:28:20 PM »

I got notified by email. Not too dissapointed
Though only 19 so plenty of years of trying left!    8-)
cant prove it?? then i didnt do it......

Monger

« Reply #268 on: May 25, 2011, 08:40:23 PM »

I got notified by email. Not too dissapointed
Though only 19 so plenty of years of trying left!    8-)

You had little chance. Youngest I've heard of is 21. They like "life experience"

Offline crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 25, 2011, 09:20:57 PM »
I did figure that would be the case but can't hurt to try and it does give me an idea
What preparation to do for the next intake
cant prove it?? then i didnt do it......

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 25, 2011, 09:56:44 PM »

Is this meant to be a set of true/false questions? Your answers do not make sense for the questions posed.

flyonthewall

« Reply #271 on: May 25, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »
Quote from: flyonthewall on Yesterday at 10:44:34 PM

Its still relevant............

I understand your frustration wicky. I have been there.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2011, 01:28:26 AM »

A serious answer would be appreciated.  :-)

AS much this isn't quite how the questions are set out, I'll try.

For question one, your answers indicate you're lying regarding part A) given your answer for part B).

If you own more than 3 firearms, then yes, you do own a firearm.

Lying is bad ;)

Not too sure where you're going with the second part question.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 27, 2011, 09:00:22 AM »
I love following this recruitment thread each year. Everyone gets all excited about applying for the MFS. Everyone gets their hopes up. Lots of questions are asked, further fuelling their confidence then BAM! FAIL.

Then the whinging starts......
I love the smell of napalm in the morning,smells like,like........VICTORY

Offline Bolts84

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 27, 2011, 01:34:45 PM »
I love following this recruitment thread each year. Everyone gets all excited about applying for the MFS. Everyone gets their hopes up. Lots of questions are asked, further fuelling their confidence then BAM! FAIL.

Then the whinging starts......

Are you in the MFS K99??

anything