Author Topic: Newy  (Read 6102 times)

Offline Blueyez

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Newy
« on: October 11, 2005, 06:47:44 PM »
Hey all, my name is Anne & I am from a brigade in Region 4. I have been with them since 2003 & absolutely love it. I was elected 2nd Lt last year then 1st Lt this year. I am also with the SES (we are a combined unit). I only found this web site an hour ago & decided to take a look. Not Bad.
Please feel free to email me as I welcome new people to write too.
[email protected]
Look forward to hearing from someone soon
Cheers for now
Blueyez  :roll:
Cheers
Blu

strikeathird

Re: Newy
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 04:40:53 PM »
Lt.1 after two years..... :-o

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 06:05:53 PM »
ridiculous, but congrats, you must have ur stuff together and be doing things right (we all hop, lol)

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 08:13:28 PM »
Welcome Anne.

There are many things that go toward making a good Officer and CFS experience is just one part of that. People and management skills are among these and are skills that can be gained outside of CFS.

I know some of you guys come from Brigades where there are many people itching to have a shot at these roles but there are many, many Brigades out there where it is a real struggle to find people willing to commit to them.

This year was the first year ever that we had only one nomination for each position. A few years back we had up to 6 up for every position . Makes for a long night the way the regs state the elections need to be run. (ie: six nominees leave, rest vote, bottom vote getter rejoins voters and is part of the next vote for the 5 left, etc etc for the 4 then the 3 then the 2!!!!!!!!!)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 09:00:35 AM »
G'day Anne,

Enjoy the ride as you read the many and varied views!

As you will have picked there are members from traditioanl brigades, urban interface brigades and country brigades.

It great to see people from the other Regions coming on board - many forget that CFS goes past the Mt Lofty Ranges and don't understand how different it is in the country areas where you are a member in many services/committees and the dedication it takes, plus the responibilities that fall to just a few.

Look forward to the posts

Cheers

Ozzi
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Blueyez

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 09:18:36 PM »
Oz Fire, Thanks for the welcome. Such a great site, congrats.
In response to you, we have a lot of people that sign up get their uniforms & dont bother coming back for training, this really cheese's me off. If your going to commit then DO IT. We are a small unit, as I said, we are combined SES/CFS, at the moment we have approx: 10 active members for both units. We have 5 very active cadets that are doing so well & are making a name for them selves. I also do the Admin work for CFS. It tends to get very busy, paperwork wise that is, but I love it, it's one way of meeting new people.

OMGWTF& Strikeathird, in reply to you, yes after 2 years & yes I do have my stuff together. Its something I have always wanted to do since I was a little girl, not that long ago  :wink:
Cheers
Blu

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 02:22:37 PM »
Welcome Anne

Good to see you having your say and welcome to the SA Fire Fighter Site.

I am also from the Region 4 area - but not form a dual brigade/unit.

All the best

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 02:44:35 PM »
You are very right kat i have been a senior fire fighter with Kalangadoo for 6 years this December and at the last brigade election i was nominated for 3rd lieutenant & Bushfire prevention officer but was pipped out by volunteers who are on the captains good books

Hopefully next year we'll have a new captain and I'll become either 3rd lieutenant or equipment officer as I've been trying to get these 2 postions as well as Bushfire prevention officer for the last 2 1/2 years
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2005, 08:38:14 AM »
welcome anne hope you enjoy the site and our chats that we have,why note tells us all about yourself and what made you join CFS/SES.

Offline robh

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Goolwa CFS
Re: elections
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2005, 09:02:58 AM »
Makes for a long night the way the regs state the elections need to be run. (ie: six nominees leave, rest vote, bottom vote getter rejoins voters and is part of the next vote for the 5 left, etc etc for the 4 then the 3 then the 2!!!!!!!!!)

Is there anything in the rules about nominees leaving/not voting ? (haven't read that).  In theory they might not want to vote for themselves so should stay and vote at each round.

Offline Blueyez

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2005, 02:14:43 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Wayne, may I ask what area in reg:4 are you at or are we not allowed to ask that?

I decided to become a firey at the ripe old age of 37, after being told by my ex-husband that I was hopeless & that a Brigade would'nt want me as I was too dumb & overweight. I thought size didn't matter?? As long as you do your job right, right?  Well I thought so.
Well I must be anyway.
Ever since I was a little girl watching all those in a firemans/womens uniform, I have wanted to do my part for the people in need & that, I am doing, not that we get a lot of callouts, but when we do I am there. I participate in almost every course that comes up for both CFS/SES. I am also Admistration Officer for CFS.

I also volunteer for the Country Womens Association, spend time with the elderly playing games or just listening to their troubles & concerns.

I am a mother to 2, ages 13 & 5. I know live with a guy that backs me 100%, he will even come home from work (nightshift) if we get a callout during the night & I cant get a sitter.

I help out at my childrens school with craft or just reading to them or they read to me. I do lead a very full life but I love it.

As far as this site goes, its the best.

Cheers
Blu
Cheers
Blu

Offline firefighter_sa

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 08:39:32 AM »
Hi there Anne or Blu?

Not to sure if we are allowed to kiss and tell but here goes as I have nothing to hide - I reside at Wilmington - work at Roxby Downs(Shift Worker) and my volunteer position within the CFS: part of the Mt Remarkable Group (Deputy Group Officer)

Catch you later and fell free to have your say.

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 09:58:55 AM »
Rob, good question - don't know if nominees are actually required to leave according to regs - I'll dig them out and check one day. But we've always been happy to have them leave (even though it is a secret ballot) assuming each would vote for themselves they sorta cancel each other out I guess.

Blu - good on ya and good riddance to the old partner and good on ya for finding the new.

Wayne - spent the long weekend at Quorn where my Dad lives, taking my little ones on endless steam train trips and spotting trips :-)

Nasty accident Wilmington to Quorn road recently :-( Sorry to hear.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline robh

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
    • Goolwa CFS
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 04:12:26 PM »
Since we're introducing ourselves...

G'day all, I'm Rob and I'm an alco,  oops, wrong group.

I'm the equipment officer at Goolwa CFS. Been a member for 2 years. Level 3 and RCR so far.  I also look after the brigade website: http://www.GoolwaCFS.org/.  My wife Jess is the Goolwa Admin and a level 3 firefighter too.

Offline Blueyez

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2005, 07:14:19 PM »
Thanks Wayne, I do know where Roxby Downs is as I live in Andamooka. My partner also works in Roxby for ODT. I prefer Blu, but Anne is fine.
Thanks Kat, I knew if I waited long enough I would find the right man.
Its a funny story how we met but I will save that for a rainy day.

BLU
Cheers
Blu

anything