Author Topic: NEW 34  (Read 168120 times)

rescue5271

Re: NEW 34
« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2006, 04:28:29 PM »
The new CFA 34 are 3700 of water and they are not bad to drive has a crew spray system all over the cab rather than a single spray head,I did hear a price of $350,000 but have been unable to get someone to say just how much. Nice looking truck and goes well off road will try and get some photos next time I am in CFA land.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 10, 2006, 11:17:25 AM »
I have concerns about the physical height of the new 34's.

I question why the body has been raised so much when the diffs and transfer case sit at the same height as the old 24P's, and I doubt weather most people could actually reach something that had moved to the back of the top shelf in any of the lockers.

We have a FF that has to stand on tippy toe to reach the door handles!

Has overall usability been sacrificed for a marginally better entry and exit angle?

Thoughts?

probie_boy

« Reply #177 on: April 10, 2006, 02:43:27 PM »
the other day, at the RCR challenge, i was having a look at glossops 34. I'm about 5'8", and i was surprised at the height of this. There are probably things on the truck i would struggle to reach.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 10, 2006, 04:54:28 PM »
Ha 6'3" no probs :-P

I don't think they've been raised just for CFS when at NE Isuzu i noticed all 750model trucks were higher than they used to be maybe isuzu changed the plans for some reason.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 10, 2006, 05:13:32 PM »
I think the turbo on top of the motor is why they had to raise the height of the cab, but yes they are quite high.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

rescue5271

« Reply #180 on: April 11, 2006, 07:00:04 PM »
About 7 years ago the union and paid staff at a CFA fire station would not drive the brigade's new tanker due to its height and as a result the appliances was removed to a fully Volunteer station and they love it and still have it... Mind you I don't know why the 34/34 are so filtered high is it to see what is going on over the hill?????? I know it's because of the GRN radio's that don't work on slops and gullys and forest's.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2006, 06:08:50 PM »
... Mind you I don't know why the 34/34 are so filtered high is it to see what is going on over the hill??????I know it's because of the GRN radio's that don't work on slops and gullys and forest's...

Nah, I thought it was so that you could drive over the forest tree stumps....Do you need a working from heights certificate to climb into the cab?...or does the dizziness go after you adjust to the altitude :wink:

Saw one at Virginia CFS & cannot understand how you reach the cabinets. If i remember correctly though, same problem with South Coast SES RCR truck.

GRN works alright in simplex mode for person to truck. See what the new system will give us when the contract is re-done.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2006, 09:30:07 PM »
I know this is fully unrelated to the thread but i was reading The South Eastern Times today and saw an article about Argyle being issued with a Dual Cab 34 appliance

Even though it isnt official yet but also in that same article it said that Kalangadoo is getting a refurbished 34 Appliance in the coming months as well as Coonawarra being issued with a 34 Dual Cab as well

Can anyone shed some light on this as from what i can recall being told during a brigade meeting last year where our GO & DGO were in attendance that our brigade wasnt earmarked for a refurbished appliance until our current 34 reached 20 years of age  :?
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2006, 10:14:52 PM »
At the moment Robert out of the 15 or so 34 dual cabs made this year only about 6or7 went to brigades who truly needed a new truck the others went to brigades with the more recent Hino 34 single cabs, these single cabs are then meant to be dealt out to the less busy brigades like yourself i suppose!!!!

What i don't get though is some of these brigades that got the new ones do only 10-12 calls a year :? but thats the CFS i suppose!!!

The types of newer 34's being replaced can be seen on the Karoonda station on the promo site... :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2006, 10:54:13 PM »
I agree mundcfs but the reason Argyle got a dual cab is that they attend %100 percent of all the accidents which happen on the princess highway outside of Millicent as same with Coonawarra who attend every accident that happens on Riddoch Highway

When you look at it these 34 dual cabs are really meant only for brigades who attend RCR's and structual because of their design/layout where as with the single cabs that have a place for crew to sit down on the back are best suited for rural fires

But hey this is just my opinion  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2006, 11:20:40 PM »
Trust me robert if you have 2 ba sets on the new 34's there isn't much more room on them!!!

Another thing i heard is the dual cabs are going to brigades that have a large amount of driving distance to jobs so they get the dual cabs for crew comfort!!!

But robert you never know your local paper may know more than your group, a refurb appliance maybe sitting in your shed within the next few months. :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #186 on: April 22, 2006, 07:06:54 AM »
Robert have you talked to mike about it?? The other reason that those brigade got the new 34 was because of the high risk in their area and that they both back up a busy urban brigade(penola and millicent).

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 22, 2006, 09:50:28 AM »
Thats correct rescue5271 its because Millicent have the big responsiblity of responding to callouts at KCA therefore Argyle had a dual cab becasue they are a backup unti to Millicent as same with Penola who have to look after the wineries & Safires
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2006, 09:13:50 AM »
Am wondering who could make a 2 x SAFB to 6" adaptor. As they come with the same pump as 24P, we could then make an unofficial 34P ;) :roll:

I like the truck, but the height is stupid. Enough said.......

rescue5271

« Reply #189 on: April 26, 2006, 04:37:18 PM »
How many  of these appliances have gone back for repair since coming on line????? sure they have a big pump but still a rural appliances.......

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 27, 2006, 08:14:27 AM »
Discovered the bolts holding the tank down have a severe lack of  tightness to them.... like they may as well not be there!..... sending it back today....

could do with some extra work/locker lights aswell.

rescue5271

« Reply #191 on: April 27, 2006, 09:46:26 PM »
Mike this has been going on for a while so much so that at the last KI fire crew where filling tank up and the whole tank just went up in the air.......

rescue5271

« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2006, 06:20:38 PM »
has anyone got one of the new 34 where the reels are on top of the tray??? if so have a look at the exhaust under the tray and check the spare tyre and see if its been burnt from the heat from the exhaust.. I had a look at one to do that was in a workshop under going repair and nice heat marks and hole in tyre from where the exhaust sits too close to the spare.....Also check that you have jack and handle to do a tyre change as they where missing also....

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2006, 12:34:44 AM »
No problem there blinky, but they forgot to put heat sheilding on the wires for the auto hose reel rewind and they got burnt off pretty easily (accidents happen :oops:) but the exhaust at the rear where it comes up from under the tray has come off a couple times and ended up having to be rewelded twice.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2006, 07:30:43 AM »
they just got burnt off....?

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2006, 12:56:40 PM »
Had a look at ours and it looks a bit close but fine, We have had a range of things happining 20 problems been reported so far.  :|

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2006, 03:37:51 PM »
they just got burnt off....?

We were chasing a grassie and the wind changed sweeping the fire under the truck (yes i know should have been on the burnt stuff but that wasn't possible)it only did a little damage to the wires but enough to warrant new wires.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Toast

« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2006, 04:06:43 PM »
:|

rescue5271

« Reply #198 on: June 20, 2006, 08:05:26 AM »
the photo that I have taken (not for show) shows clearly that the exhaust has burnt the wheel and not from any fire on the run or on the ground. It looks as if there are a number of problems with the new 34's and I would encouarge that if you find any report it and get the region or moore's to pay for the repairs it should noy come out of your group or brigade budget...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2006, 12:21:13 AM »
I've heard there's a problem with the brake lines seizing if you work too close to the fire?  The lines are exposed and if they get too hot the hand brake comes on and won't come off again? :?