Author Topic: Murray Bridge CFS Truck Rollover  (Read 52366 times)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Murray Bridge CFS Truck Rollover
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2006, 12:57:09 PM »
mmm same here - i never drive anywhere in my own vehicle or mates vehicles without a seatbelt, but yeh never where one in the trucks.

PF_

« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2006, 01:07:18 PM »
Never been on a call out, but everytime I go on the truck am belted up.

Do the MFS have to wear seatbelts on the way to an incident?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2006, 02:03:05 PM »
Never been on a call out, but everytime I go on the truck am belted up.

Do the MFS have to wear seatbelts on the way to an incident?

I don't reckon they would (depending on the call) because it could be a little hard to be putting a BA set on and wearing a seatbelt.

I was surprised to see that MFS have a BA seat in the front passenger seat always thought this seat was for the station officer/OIC who normally wouldn't wear one.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

probie_boy

« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2006, 02:14:47 PM »
BA seats are awesome. do you reckon we'll ever get them in dual cab pumpers/34p's?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2006, 02:22:01 PM »
^^NO too many OHS issues with the ride height of our trucks i believe.. mt barker dennis has them though...

MFS trucks have four BA sets, three in back (one for driver), and one in OIC seat..

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2006, 02:38:52 PM »
M.F.S do things a little different to us, when they arrive at a fixed alarm the first arrival officer and 2 firies all wearing B.A go to the board and see where the alarm is then go to the area affected and the second arrival officer stays at the board and does comms etc, therefore the officers do don B.A alot.

Also you will never fit a B.A seat in the back of a japanese cab chassis so we will never have them unless we buy Europeon or American trucks.

Sorry about the off topic........

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2006, 02:42:23 PM »
BA seats are classed as a restraint system..... and as such are seatbelts.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2006, 02:45:41 PM »
M.F.S do things a little different to us, when they arrive at a fixed alarm the first arrival officer and 2 firies all wearing B.A go to the board and see where the alarm is then go to the area affected and the second arrival officer stays at the board and does comms etc, therefore the officers do don B.A alot.

how is that diff. to what we do? ahh i see... we get the first arriving off to stay at the board...

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2006, 02:59:06 PM »
I think wearing seatbelts is compulsory en route as per our SOP's regardless of what Road Traffic Act says? Dunno - couldn't find our SOP's on the CFS publications site as per Mengcfs post. But what a bonus to find the new Act and Regs.

Wonder when the Brigade will get a copy??

Sorry people, my bad.
The COSO's and SOP's used to be on the CFS website. I used to download and print them for the latest up to date material. Not sure why they aren't on the site any more. Would definately clear up some of the myths we talk about here :wink:

PF_

« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2006, 03:38:30 PM »
How's a BA seat work?

Is it a seat where a BA set just sits in behind it and you can easily get it on

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2006, 03:49:38 PM »
Basically it's the back of a seat you don up and then just lean forward and it pops out (i think) someone who's in MFS or responds with them might be able to explain a little better.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

strikeathird

« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2006, 04:42:38 PM »
Think its got a release mechanism.. It cant just pull out.. Thus why its the Seatbelt system.. if it just pulled loose it would be useless in an accident to act as a restraint system.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2006, 05:56:21 PM »
Sorry people, my bad.
The COSO's and SOP's used to be on the CFS website. I used to download and print them for the latest up to date material. Not sure why they aren't on the site any more. Would definately clear up some of the myths we talk about here :wink:

indeed, you can still click on "About Us" on the main page (ignore the annoying popup menus) and it's listed there but is a dead link.

Here instead is the copy I saved from Nov 2004 (4Mb): http://www.sacfs.org/publications/COSO_SOP_Nov2004.pdf

Offline F.B.R.T

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2006, 07:48:00 PM »
I've noticed in previous postings comments regarding wearing of seatbelts in private vehicles all the time, but not in a fire appliance.

Well, I'm guilty as well!

MFS does stipulate that they must be worn, but I haven't noticed too many people in Metro or Country doing it.

Our front running appliance (Scania) does have BA seats and if you have put a BA on, the shoulder straps alone would probably restrain you if you hadn't pushed down on the lever to release the set.

All BA seats do have retracting seatbelts, but crews find putting them on with an airset a bit of a tangle.

I suppose if anything happened and you were't wearing one, it could be detrimental to an injury payout, but who knows...........
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Offline Stefan KIRKMOE

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2006, 11:28:28 AM »
The CFS removed the SOP and COSO's from the website for security reasons, so before you go sending copies around it may pay to just check with CFS HQ and just find out if they approve or not....

pumprescue

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2006, 06:17:20 AM »
Dennis has 4 BA seats across the back, all with levers that have to be released before the set comes out, so you can use the BA straps as a seat belt on the way to jobs. The smart thing not to do is release your set too early cause if you do have a prang your going to have the set in your back pushing you. CFS need to seriously look at CF cyclinders especially for the Dennis as you have to get out of the truck with a heavy set on. Also brigades with Type 2's will notice that they are not designed to have the heavy sets on them because NSWFB and CFA use CF sets which are smaller, so when you swing our old clunker sets out they dont fit....yay  :-D

probie_boy

« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2006, 06:49:42 PM »
ah, the joys of being technologically behind!