Author Topic: Murray Bridge CFS Truck Rollover  (Read 52365 times)

strikeathird

Re: Murray Bridge CFS Truck Rollover
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2006, 10:47:42 AM »
Im not part of ozfire, can anyone put up the photos..

I have seen it on the news, but for a brief moment.

Many thanks.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2006, 11:58:41 AM »
There is a story in the local paper, with a photo. Not relying on what the story said as often the media can get it wrong!!
With the risk of being hammered, here are the photos from Ozfire.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2006, 12:18:34 PM »
You won't get hammered these pics are welcome.

Even if only to serve as a reminder that we all face risks from time to time..

Offline nomex_nugget

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2006, 12:36:33 PM »
Might be worth posting these pics up at the station - (A) as a reminder to the crews why we don't stand up on the back whilst travelling and (B) as a reminder to the drivers what can happen when you drive a big heavy truck 20kmh over the speed limit, through red lights and in and out of traffic (not saying that was occuring here).

Seems a bit sad seeing the 'old girl' sitting there like that, no doubt the guys that rode that rig will have many fond memories. At least the Murray Bridge guys will have the use of the old Belair Pumper until their type 2 arrives.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2006, 12:40:05 PM »
Good idea about pinning up the pics at station. I know our Brigade has certainly had a poignant reminder! unfortunately it takes something like this to happen to remind people.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2006, 12:53:47 PM »
I'd have to agree with Nomex on this one by placing pictures of this incident up on station boards it will remind members of the risks of standing up on the back of a moving appliance :-)

Another thing i never knew pumpers are like the open back 34 appliances i always though they dual cab appaliances  :?
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2006, 01:01:49 PM »
Don't know what's been said by certain people but i'm glad we are back on the track of wanting to help these guys and wishing them all the best.

We have had several close calls in our appliances (thats what happens when you do 300+ calls in an urban invironment) and it really does make you wonder why you volunteer to do the job sometimes but when the other 99.9% of the jobs go right you realise what your in it for.

Robert34, yes new pumpers are dual cabs like new 34's just like old pumpers are single cabs like old 34's.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2006, 01:26:44 PM »
Another thing i never knew pumpers are like the open back 34 appliances i always though they dual cab appaliancesĀ  :?

the trucks of the CFS are many and varied robert... there are heaps of custom builds, although the MB pumper was fairly similar to barkers old rig and belairs...

PF_

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2006, 05:22:38 PM »
From seeing those pic's, its lucky there was no one on the pavement walking or sitting there.  Could have been much worse.

Offline F.B.R.T

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2006, 05:26:39 PM »
Slightly off track, but I have noticed more of the dual cab appliances (e.g. 34p's and 24p's) in the CFS fleet.Is there procedures regarding responding to incident in vehicle cabin before changing over to firefighting deck on arrival?
I would think that a crew would be much safer in the instance of the unfortunate accident of the Murray Bridge Pumper if they were in the actual cabin of an appliance than the "shelter" at the front of the firefighting deck.

I also wish a speedy recovery to the crew involved and hope they are "back on the horse" soon!

Regards, Mat.
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

rescue5271

« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 06:12:45 PM »
Mat,rule is all crew in the cabin,if a grass or scrub fire crew will stop appliances before going onto fireground and take a a position on the rear deck. Most new 34/24  crew cabs do not have seating on the rear or seatbelts.

probie_boy

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2006, 09:26:38 PM »
its amazing when looking at that photo how the people on the back only received minor injuries. A truck like that would be hard to climb out from underneath. lucky boys

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2006, 05:45:22 AM »
I think if a fire appliance in NSW or Vic (or anywhere) rolled we would all be interested to see the photos and or footage. Call it professional interest? There's speccie rollover shots on the 'net that are even used on a firefighters website for inclusion in e-cards.

This is close to home (very, very for me) and naturally concern for the crew is paramount. And in due course if investigations show that there are things that could have been done better we will all benefit from hearing them.

It is just a fact of life that people will speculate. Living and working near Murray Bridge and being a member of their Group and a neighbouring Brigade I have been subjected to no end of interrogation and speculation. As fire service members this is not something we can indulge in publicly. And this forum is as public as it gets.

What we put in writing to be read by anyone who happens upon it should be carefully, carefully considered.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

probie_boy

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2006, 11:28:40 AM »
well said kat. does anyone have any latest news on the condition of the crew?

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2006, 07:15:01 AM »
I am aware that there were two crew in the back, seated with belts on and they came out of it the best. All crew are home now.

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2006, 08:40:01 AM »
I have said before that the crew were lucky, considering the damage done to the appliance.  If what Captcom just said is accurate - in regard to wearing seatbelts, then I think we all need to take notice.

Until recently our brigade's primary response urban vehicle was a single cab type with crew seating on the rear deck.  We all know what rules apply to wearing of seatbelts, both in and out of the crew cab.  I know from experience that we don't always put the belts on.  In most cases you are fiddling around with your gear, getting jackets on and boots tied etc, and by the time that is done your are at the incident anyway.  I will be so bold to say that a large percentage of crew on rear decks don't wear seatblets.

I hope that we all will think twice now when deciding wether or not to bother with the belts.

Quite clearly, wearing the belts saved the lives of the MB crew and if they were not wearing them, we may very well be looking at an entirely different scenario.

In short:  Wear your seatbelts wherever possible.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2006, 08:48:27 AM »
I agree Calspec...it would also be rare for my crew to be buckled in...and our appliance was also involved in an accident (many years ago) thankfully, there were no crew in the back..they would have been in trouble otherwise..

I think that they could do with reviewing the seatbelts as well and perhaps making them sash and not just lap belts...

probie_boy

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2006, 10:22:08 AM »
i can say that i haven't worn a seatbelt to a job before. at the time it seems too much of a hassle as calspec said with putting your jacket, boots and helmet on. i think i will next time.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2006, 10:49:47 AM »
we have a rule you can't get on until you are fully dressed and use your must use your setbelt

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2006, 11:20:58 AM »
Clearly, different brigades have different attitudes towards this subject.  I can only guess in suggesting that the issue of seatbelt wearing has taken a backseat(pun intended) to response times with some brigades. The main priority being to get the truck rolling asap once minimum crewing requirements are met.

Time for a change of attitude and approach to our own safety.

I wait with baited breath to see what comes out of any investigation into the MB accident.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »
You could be right Calspec...don't be surprised if we see a directive or SOP in relation to the wearing of seatbelts...back and front!

It's something that I will address with my crew...unfortunately, made easy by this example...

we rarely leave the station with full crew...pick up crew on the way..as we are a Rural brigade and it saves time...and we only have a single cab, so crew have to ride on the back..

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2006, 12:14:40 PM »
i thought I had already seen a directive about wearing seatbelts on appliances. all new vehicles come plastered with stickers stating "Seatbelts must be worn"......

probie_boy

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2006, 12:27:11 PM »
yeah i put my gear on on the way. the only gear i put on at the station are my pants and boots. on the truck i put on helmet, jacket, goggles, gloves, whatever else. its just quicker that way. however, i've known people to not wear a seatbelt at all, even on the way back to the station.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2006, 01:45:05 PM »
i thought I had already seen a directive about wearing seatbelts on appliances. all new vehicles come plastered with stickers stating "Seatbelts must be worn"......

it already states in a SOP/COSO that seatbelts must be worn (even though we are exempt under the road traffic act from wearing them), however I suspect the previous guy was right that there will be a renewed emphasis on it.

Offline Stefan KIRKMOE

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2006, 07:03:44 AM »
I don't even think the attitude is just a brigade thing, comes down more to personal preference. Some members i know wouldn't wear a seat belt even if we wern't excempt others won't have the truck move without the crew being belted up and wear their helmet from the moment they leave station. Considering the brigade has lost a member as the result of an appliance rollover in '90 I find peoples attitudes strange about when they should and shouldnt. At the end of the day most CFS personal are NOT regular or professional drivers of 10-15t trucks at high speed under UDD conditions or even get any comprehensive training. Considering CFS provides training in almost everything I find it strange that the area of most risk receives only minimal training. If you F*%K up at a job with your BA, you may kill or seriously injure yourself or your partner, same with compartment, RCR well ya might cut something off you shouldn't.... But if you are the driver on the way to a job and make a mistake you could potentially kill the seven people on the appliance and any number members of the public!