Author Topic: Blackwood CAFS demo ??  (Read 3638 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Blackwood CAFS demo ??
« on: March 28, 2006, 01:56:05 PM »
Saw this pager message on the website. Does anyone know what the display is ? I work in the city & will go down for a look :-o

11:57:41 28-03-06 BWD CAFS WILL BE TAKING PART IN THE DEMONSTRATION IN RUNDELL MALL ON FRIDAY 31ST MARCH 2006 BETWEEN 09:00 AND 14:30 - ANYONE INTERESTED IN PARTICIPATING PLS PH  BWD LT2
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

probie_boy

Re: Blackwood CAFS demo ??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 10:34:13 AM »
i have no idea. would be good to see CAFS in action though.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 02:15:48 PM »
road crash demo for the Road Crash Comps...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Road Crash Rescue demo
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 11:49:42 AM »
I went and watched the 'Road Crash Rescue demonstration' in Rundle mall today (Friday 31/03/2006). They had:

MFS Adelaide 204 truck
MFS ?? truck with crane on back
CFS Backwood truck
SES Enfield 185 truck
two mitsubishi damaged cars.
Multiple paid, volunteers and headquarters staff.

Quite a large crowd gathered when all vehicles were running red/blue lights.

Carmen Zollo gave a speech at 1130, then a combined crew performed a rescue on a windscreen damaged mitsubishi sedan. A dummy victim was in the drivers seat and the drivers window was down.

The MFS stabilised the vehicle and simulated casualty first-aid with oxygen equipment, SES broke remaining window glass (except for front windscreen) and CFS operated cutters/spreaders.

They cut slits in the roof gutter area just behind the windscreen on both side, then cut all B & C pillars at the roof line. Then using a large steel picket laid on the roof between the two front roof split cuts, they folded the roof on top of the intact windscreen. The picket helped form the fold crease in the roof.

Then the tools were swapped and spreaders were used to remove both driver side doors.

People who were not involved in safety or the exercise were moving through the crowd handing out pamphlets on the Australasian and National Road Crash Rescue Competitions.

Very well done display.

I would assume the remaining damaged car was used in another demonstration later in the day.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

probie_boy

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 01:01:04 PM »
sounds like it was a good performance. i didn't see it. damn school

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 01:46:33 PM »
Interesting... doing the forward roof roll before the side removal, never done it that way before, but that's why were here - to learn new things. :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 06:48:47 PM »
was there also... the appliances being used for the demo were the MFS "spare 4 truck" i guess you would call it... blackwood cafs and enfield's heavy rescue truck. throughout the day though 204, 249 and a district car did make an appearance as well as various CFS and SES staff cars.

was good to watch the rescue without having to worry about doing anything LOL... dissapointing though that the more exciting one had to be 'downgraded'..

there were two demos, one at 1130 and one at 1300 - as badjas said the 1130 was a sigle vehicle on its wheels, forward dash roll and side removal. the second one (1300) was meant to be a vehicle on its left side with occupant in front passenger seat, unfortunatley though they werent able to tip it because someone hadnt emptied liquids from the engine before providing it for the demo, so the same approach as excercise one was taken...

good to see a composite rescue crew of two CFS two MFS and two SES working together, and interesting to note they had never worked together before...

ive got plenty of photos so ill upload some to the gallery in a lil while.

probie_boy

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 06:03:03 PM »
sweet medevac. if there was an emoticon of a thumbs up i'd give it to ya. So i'll have to do the next best thing... :mrgreen:

anything