General Discussion > Women of the Fire Industry

women in the service's

<< < (10/10)

Toast:

--- Quote from: safirey on August 17, 2006, 11:10:35 AM ---Some time ago our previous CEO said we had 17,000 volunteers and 450 brigades during the Sydney fires after a comment from the media about leaving our state under protected.He said If they asked us for another 1,000 they would have them.

Truth be known we have about 10,000 volunteers now.....as a lot of which we lost because of all the crap and politics in this service.
Remember when there was a survey paper about why you left the service etc from HQ getting around im sure most of it was due to inuendo against individuals.

Volunteers are a valuable resource and some towns cant afford to be sexist.

The life they save may be your own people :-D     

--- End quote ---

So did people leave due to the 'crap and politics' or the 'inuendo against individuals' ?

CaptCom:
Sometimes you have to wonder why people join the service...and need reminding that what we do, saves lives and property...yes, the politics and red tape can be an issue (and I know that after my coronial experience) but only if you let it be a distraction and drop the ball..

For me it's more about contributing to my community...whilst working within the safe boundaries of SOP's...if anyone had come to court and seen how the lawyers bashed you over the head with documents that we use eg Response Plans...you would think twice about working outside of them..

rescue5271:
It does not matter what service or community group you are in there will always be people who will not let everyone do the job that they want to do for the better of there community. Its become more of a problem in brigades that have bad leadership and that those leaders will not allow females to do anything other than the radio or make a coffee. It is also time that male members got up and said something to these so called leaders,we should be happy that someone has come along and given their time to join the service. lets face it we are all getting older and the young ones can see what is going on but dont say a word till its too late.... rememeber we are a community based fire service who needs the support of the community.......

CaptCom:
Maybe these so called leaders need to be reminded of those 6% that are male...more of them and more problems usually than with the females who are there to do the job and not worry about stroking their egos..  :|

Manuel:
sooo true, :x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version