Author Topic: station turn out  (Read 21363 times)

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: station turn out
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2006, 11:16:57 AM »
not as expensive as a strobe system...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2006, 12:54:06 PM »
Sorry I wasnt clear enough in my post.  I have seen somewhere a CFS appliance set up like an ETSA truck with a bucket and crane set up on the back.  Think it was from one of the eastern brigades.
A metro SES unit had one of these, not sure if they still have it?

Western Adelaide SES (LHQ on Marion Road, near Sir Donald Brabham Dve) have a truck mounted cherry picker. Just recently been upgraded to include a small manual crane and stowage.
Unit members have also recently been trained in the commercial 'working from heights' qualification.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

strikeathird

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2006, 05:57:15 PM »
Any pics mate ? ^^

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2006, 08:32:50 PM »
would be nice if SES had an equivelant of the CFS Promotions Site.... a project for you perhaps Andrew...  :wink:

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2006, 10:03:19 AM »
would be nice if SES had an equivalent of the CFS Promotions Site.... a project for you perhaps Andrew...  :wink:

Working on the idea for a while now. Just need a cheap hosting site (read free) and use of the old SASES domain or SASESVA domain. Most probably setup on a home server to gage support of Units and SASESVA.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2006, 11:30:15 AM »
Try getting some low level funding and we will help!

strikeathird

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »
SAFECOM Forum maybe ???

Offline Heavy Rescue

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2006, 08:37:16 PM »
Andrew while you're at it why not setup a forum like this one for the SES as well, It's pretty straight forward to get going and I'm sure they would have just as much stuff to chat about as us.

strikeathird

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2006, 08:45:44 PM »
Or just make an SES section in this one ??

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2006, 01:38:08 PM »
Andrew while you're at it why not setup a forum like this one for the SES as well, It's pretty straight forward to get going and I'm sure they would have just as much stuff to chat about as us.

There used to be a Yahoo Group for SASES volunteers about a year ago. This has been closed down.

Currently a Yahoo Group for SES volunteers nationally, exists which is interesting to compare issues with interstate colleagues.

I don't believe we would get enough support for a state based SES forum/BLOG, or knowledge of the website existence, unless it was supported by SHQ or SASESVA publicity.

Has StrikeThird pointed out, I will keep discussing the orange side of the SA Emergency services on this forum.

I would prefer to see a BLOG/Forum/website for all people involved in the SA Emergency services field (eg fire, rescue, sea, surf, medical, govt, training, comms, etc, etc). But this would need publicity support from the agencies to its members, rather than rely on 'word of mouth' publicity.

But I believe this form of 'volunteer communication' has been rejected by management because of past fears & failings (people got upset by items posted & retribution action occurred).
Andrew Macmichael

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2006, 02:08:09 PM »
There used to be a Yahoo Group for SASES volunteers about a year ago. This has been closed down.

i remember hearing about that, there ended up being a few 'trolls' on there that were taking very nasty shots at staff members, got closed down very quickly...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2006, 04:17:35 PM »
This website isn't condoned by CFSHQ but it did have an article in Volunteer magazine a couple of months ago... That's enough publicity IMO... :D

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2006, 09:18:18 AM »
I don't know if it's law for them to stop but it might be worth a call to a RO and ask...if someone speeds past an incident with lights going, you can report them...would it be any different.

Wouldn't look good to take out another vehicle on the way to an incident..

You also have to consider that some people panic when they see lights and sirens and honestly, don't know what to do..
and that unless you are close or directly in front of the appliance, it's hard to hear in your car..unless you have the windows down..

rescue5271

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2006, 12:40:49 PM »
better still could get smokey out there with a baseball bat and some rocks(joke)....

PF_

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2006, 01:18:59 PM »
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2006, 03:39:30 PM »
better still could get smokey out there with a baseball bat and some rocks(joke)....

Had a police officer tell us yesterday at an accident scene if someone wont slow down to throw rocks at them.

As much fun as it would be id be hoping he was joking.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

strikeathird

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2006, 11:33:39 PM »
Well they just made new laws to jail rock throwers... Which will include that stupid cop if he was even half serious !

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2006, 03:27:19 AM »
mmm... have had several coppers get quite abusive with people whilst assisting me with traffic when i was a probie... they really have quite a go at people...

was hilarious when a lady turned up at the turnaround  point (road completely blocked off for major crash) and she was on her mobile... copper went right off at her, yelling cos she wouldnt turn around, threatened to book her for talking on her phone, then when she continued to ignore him, threw the book at her, inlcuding reckless drivingi think.... was funny as to watch...

PF_

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2006, 11:49:40 AM »
I guess when you constantly have to put up with that kind of crap it would wear you down eventually.  Anyone watch Motorway Patrol, the crap and ignorant drivers the cops deal with is horrendous, and rather amusing. :-P

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2006, 06:03:51 PM »
i have been to numerous accident scenes and fire scenes where cars have not being doing 40kph and the cops just ignore them.

Unless there is a donut attatched to the car i guess its not worth the effort? (Sorry If this Offends anyone but im sick of this happening!)
Compton CFS Website

strikeathird

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2006, 11:50:45 PM »
There's a few coppers on this forum...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2006, 01:46:27 AM »
On the South Eastern freeway, the police tried setting up radars at incidents for a while, but its far too dangerous... Cars see the speed radar and slow down, only to be rear ended by the people behind them.  Caused more trouble than it was worth.  At one MVA, one of the coppers sat back and looked at speeds, but didn't pull anyone over - The fastest he saw was 140 Kph - that's someone driving past the incident, with one lane blocked.... Is it a public awareness issue?

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2006, 10:12:55 AM »
off topic a bit, when cars are going to fast just make out that you are going to drop the STOP/SLOW sign on the car, wave it at them on a angle , it works

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2006, 10:21:19 AM »
Is it a public awareness issue?

i was under the impression that people wer e just F-wits in general.

they know the law

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2006, 10:58:50 AM »
At one MVA, one of the coppers sat back and looked at speeds, but didn't pull anyone over - The fastest he saw was 140 Kph - that's someone driving past the incident, with one lane blocked....

See that really shits me.  How can a Police Officer just ignore that?  Its total BS!

There are ways to make it safer but i think they just choose not to do it!

Like its not hard to have a radar setup at the scene (hidden) and then have a couple of patrol cars further down the road to pull them over.  Even if its just to warn them!
Compton CFS Website