Author Topic: Fire in the SE?  (Read 29253 times)

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Fire in the SE?
« on: November 20, 2006, 06:27:16 PM »
Was on a plane coming back from Melbourne earlier and saw what appeared to be 3? fires sort of east of Tintanara?Coonalpyn area. Anyone able to shed some light?
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Fire in the SE?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 06:46:04 PM »
well by the look on the pager site god has been hard at work with lightning,all 3 fires sorry 8 fire's are in region 3.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 10:44:04 PM »
And potentially, a lot more lightening yet to come........

Anyone going to Lameroo?  Might see you up there!   :-)
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 07:41:08 AM »
Well the lightning we were supposed to get in the Naracoorte,Gambier & Wattle Range group areas did eventuate this morning at 3 am however there is a arvo thundery change forecasted which could do be worser than better cause i was talking to Blinky last night on Yahoo and he told me we havent got any rain for the next 10 days  :| :-(
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 08:32:08 AM »
Was on a plane coming back from Melbourne earlier and saw what appeared to be 3? fires sort of east of Tintanara?Coonalpyn area. Anyone able to shed some light?
1919326 12:52:10 20-11-06 SHQ: *CFSRES: COOMANDOOK, KI KI AND COONALPYN RESPOND GRASS FIRE, NEAR BACK OF CORMACKS PROPERTY 
1919333 13:57:59 20-11-06 SHQ: *CFSRES: TINTINARA RESPOND SCRUB FIRE CARCUMA NATIONAL PARK NORTHERN BOUNDARY >
1919325 14:36:03 20-11-06 SHQ: *CFSRES: SALT CREEK, TILLEY, COLEBATCH SWAMP RESPOND SCRUB FIRE SALT CREEK IN STONLEY PARK SCRUB REFERENCE OF 54H0391084 

Lameroo Coonalpyn Tintinara Area started by lightning 350 hectares so far with strike teams enroute
Images are copyright

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 08:34:00 AM »
1928799 09:34:42 21-11-06 ENGINEER GROUP, FYI & PLANNING SEC IS OPEN WITH POLICE CFS SAMFS SES BOM TRANSPORT & ENGINEERING - CURRENTLY THERE ARE 4 FIRES IN UPPER SE & 5 FIRES IN FAR WEST 
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 09:13:03 AM »
1928799 09:36:18 21-11-06 ENGINEER GROUP, >>>DRY LIGHTNING STRIKES EXPECTED ACROSS STATE AS WEATHER CHANGE PASSES BETWEEN 13:00 & 18:00 FULL ACTIVATION OF SEC POSSIBLE LATER - NEXT BRIEFING 10:30

Its stormy here in Kalangadoo at the moment but no sign of dry lightning as such yet but this could be the developing stage of a bad storm this arvo  :|
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 09:21:43 AM »
Lightning went through here about an hour ago not much in it.....YET

Change due through about 14:00 hrs
Images are copyright

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 12:46:36 PM »
Raining from Hallett Cove to Adelaide city from 1330.

Dry lightening storm around the hills and in the gulf before that.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 01:18:58 PM »
Any idea if theres more lightning instore for the LSE in the next few hours :? cause im hoping there isnt cause it could be worser :|
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 01:51:16 PM »
Looks like the SE has already been pounded again by lightning, ahh we are blessed in Goolwa the storms come to us split apart when it reaches the area then reforms after it passes. :roll:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 02:14:52 PM »
Just listening to Forestry SA South East.  Up to fire 20.
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 03:40:22 PM »
Havn't heard anything about the SE but just got back from Holland creek and heard that One tree Hill is blowing up.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 03:58:27 PM »
Largish Fire near Dergholm Vic, Just over the border from Penola SA.

Strike team from Penola area and Forestry SA.

Strike Team from Gambier & Port Mac Groups going up to fires in the USE im guessing.  Although they just arrived at Naracoorte Fire Station so not sure whats happening.
Compton CFS Website

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 06:20:25 PM »
Why havent you gone Camo  :wink: its a pity i wasnt able to respond as  i havent done burn over training yet  :cry: but im gonna find a way to get this done before the bad part of our season happens

To be honest the lightning storm was really something as it started 3 seperate fires around Kalangadoo two of these were just out of town going towards Penola the most unusual thing was that there were 2 seperate fires but each were in a paddock on either side of the road :|     

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 09:05:43 PM »
So your telling me Rob that the DOO had more than one call in a day Jeeeesus. Whip out the banjo cos there's a party tonight. :-P :lol:

Sorry Rob boring day at work and no one to rip scheiße out of. :evil:

You better get the burnover training done before the next lot. :wink:
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 03:56:07 AM »
Why havent you gone Camo  :wink: its a pity i wasnt able to respond as  i havent done burn over training yet  :cry: but im gonna find a way to get this done before the bad part of our season happens

To be honest the lightning storm was really something as it started 3 seperate fires around Kalangadoo two of these were just out of town going towards Penola the most unusual thing was that there were 2 seperate fires but each were in a paddock on either side of the road :|     

1. My brigade didnt go.
2. I gotta go to work at 0530
Compton CFS Website

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 08:05:08 AM »
So your telling me Rob that the DOO had more than one call in a day Jeeeesus. Whip out the banjo cos there's a party tonight. :-P :lol:

Sorry Rob boring day at work and no one to rip filtered out of. :evil:

You better get the burnover training done before the next lot. :wink:

Yes Mund Kalangadoo had 3 fires started by lightning but the fires started all at the same time which is pretty rare :? for our little town while all 3 brigades were responding to 1 fire our good old yellow water bombers responded to the other 2  :wink:

Also i happened to have my trunk tracker fitted with frequency 132.550 CFS Bomber Frequency and was listening to them responding ;)     
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 10:46:26 AM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 10:49:42 AM »
30,000 lightning strikes hit Adelaide yesterday so its surprising that we didnt have another Black Tuesday on our hands...thankfully the bombers did their work,as well as on ground crews.90 fires were reported yesterday.

Now you boys in the SE get that BURNOVER TRAINING done :-P
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 11:00:41 AM »
Lucky for the Lower South East we had 2 bombers stationed at Mount Gambier airport and were dispatched in a split second after the first lightning fires in the Wattle Range group were reported  :-D

It was quite interesting to listen to spotter & bomber traffic on 132.550 rather than on GRN 
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 11:21:31 AM »
Lucky for the Lower South East we had 2 bombers stationed at Mount Gambier airport and were dispatched in a split second after the first lightning fires in the Wattle Range group were reported  :-D

It was quite interesting to listen to spotter & bomber traffic on 132.550 rather than on GRN 

What would we do without our Trunktrackers.
Listening to Air Ops when he says where are the 4 strike teams I asked for two hours ago!

Planning oops
Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 11:57:53 AM »
We would be lost if Uniden Australia didnt make trunk tracker scanners  :-D as these scanners allow us to listen to GRN traffic if were monitoring 1 talk group on our own radios and cant change to another  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 12:26:11 PM »
30,000 lightning strikes hit Adelaide yesterday so its surprising that we didnt have another Black Tuesday on our hands...thankfully the bombers did their work,as well as on ground crews.90 fires were reported yesterday.

Now you boys in the SE get that BURNOVER TRAINING done :-P

We over on EP were glad somewhere else in the state had a turn.. :wink:

We had been watching the lightening and were in the blocks ready overnight but thankfully, 19,000 strikes all happened at sea....and then you guys took over...

Great effort with very little lost..good work guys.. :-D

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 03:34:16 PM »
Its been a wild time here in the Naracoorte group all brigade's where rolling to jobs from the first lightning strike and they just came on coming and coming. Naracoorte brigade had 11 fires to deal with and the biggest fire was north of Naracoorte burning in scrub on private land around 250hcys was burnt and crews where still on scene at 1630 hrs today. It was great to get a strike team from port mac/mount groups who set 4 appliances to our aid at 1600 hrs they guys and girls did a great job and it gave loacle crews time to rest/eat and then get back into it.  I took on a few roles on the day first I was the base operator then I got put into 34 to make up that crew only to be put into car 1 along with a DGO and then back into the radio room as the groups logistics officer.  Our ladys did a great job at feeding the troops and there was heaps of food and drink not grog......The bombers where working out of naracoorte airport and twice the outskirts of the airport was hit by lightning and there was a good running fire put out by members from kyby/nara and joanna....One hopes that this is not the start of things to come .... We could not get help from the CFA as they where flat out wattle range had sent a strike team to VICTORIA casterton way.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 09:30:37 PM »
The upper South east really copped the lightening..

I was on an IMT based at Coonalpyn.   We had 4 fires burning in the area, which were contained....and then we saw the potential for lightening ( I love the BOM site!!)

In around 2 hours, we had another 34 fires in the area, all started by lightening...it was absolute chaos...and because other areas had similar problems, we didn't have access to a number of resources from adjoingin regions, which we would normally have access to...    :-(

The IMT, and the guys on the ground (CFS, NPWS and numerous private units, as well as two bombers) did a fantastic job of dealing with the fires - there was at least 1 house, and probably 4 that we saved as a direct result of the actions of the bombers & the ground crews...

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.