Author Topic: BA`s  (Read 29014 times)

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
BA`s
« on: September 09, 2006, 07:16:30 PM »
Reasonable size structure fire today at Port Macdonnel and extra BA resources had to cdome from the next group. As only 2 brigades in the Pt Mac group are BA equipped.These briagdes that responded from Gambier group had to virtually drive past closer stations to get there who werent responded as they werent BA. Do people think that all brigades should have BA and trained people or should it be a brigade choice on an as needs basis?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: BA`s
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 11:08:18 PM »
20:22:18 09-09-06 SHQ: CFSRES: MARLA & MINTABIE RESPOND BUILDING FIRE, ERNABELLA, CONTACT REGION 4 DUTY OFFICER ON RESPONSE. < 9/09/2006 8:22:06 PM

21:01:09 09-09-06 SHQ: CFSRES: COOBER PEDY RESPOND TO COOBER PEDY STATION & STATION CONTACT REGIONAL DUTY OFFICER < 9/09/2006 9:00:56 PM

22:01:56 09-09-06 SHQ: A/H SIG INC: FYI COOBER PEDY, MARLA, MINTABIE ATTENDING BUILDING FIRE, ERNABELLA MEDICAL CLINIC, DAMAGE $1.5M < 9/09/2006 10:01:45 PM

Coober Pedy only BA unit responded now thats a looong drive for a job. Coober Pedy wouldn't have even arrived before this message was sent out.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 11:10:26 PM by mundcfs »
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 12:06:40 AM »
would be nice if all brigades where caba  but the medical is the killer,refine the medical and it may work as long as members do the training..By the way where the MFS paged????

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 09:48:15 AM »
Nearest MFS is Port Augusta a few hours south of Coober Pedy.

Our Capt and 4th Lieutenant are pretty pissed at the moment they are both completely fit for their BA re-accred except they are 2kg and 1.8kg respectively overweight.
It's ridiculous that 2 people who have had BA for years and are completely fit but get knocked back because of a ridiculous BMI level. :x
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 09:58:10 AM »
..By the way where the MFS paged????
I think thats the point ath was trying to make, Compton are further out than the MFS down there. Maybe the MFS should have been responded as well but thats a different thread all together.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 10:47:06 AM »
I dont think that was the issue 24P.  Although having the mfs there would of been nice it really leaves a bit of hole in protection if you send them 30mins out there area.

From what i gather Ath was saying should all brigades have BA and BA trained people.  I guess that comes down to the individual brigade.  If a brigade wants to become BA trained im sure HQ would not stop them as long as they could justify it i guess.

A neighbouring brigade here never used to be BA but were able to because a few vollies wanted to become BA trained and there were the necessary risks e.g. Airport!

Camo
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 01:55:09 PM »
The Group I am in lost 20 members due for re-accreditation for CABA out of that there was 10 that had hazmat as well all where able to do the job until the new medical came in. Now our group struggles to get enough BA operators. We also lost about 5 members over them loosing it.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 03:18:43 PM »
Why would I possibly imply that MFS should be responded, lol. Strange move for the CFS to change the BMI standards so much for BA medicals, it used to be 35 maximum now its what 28 or something. Maybe they are worried about people not being able to handle it, although if you get through the course you should be okay. I personaly think running around at grass fires can be a lot more draining and demanding than fighting a fire in BA especially when you have to fight the fire away from the truck. You have to breathe down all the smoke for a start. Yet there is no maximum BMI for firies going to grass fires??

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 04:14:06 PM »
The BMI is still 35 but our 2 registered 35.6 or something stupid like that and when it was said to the person at region they knocked them back for the course even though they can both do push ups with the set on and are completetly fit and healthy. filtered stupid i think.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

PF_

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 04:19:12 PM »
BMi is odd because you can be really fit and healthy but overweight due to muscle mass, a lot of footballers have high BMI's becuase they are so bulky.  Although BMI is worthwhile because if a firie goes down and they are over the BMI it means they are quite heavy and it owuld be hard to drag them out of a fire, you know what I mean.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2006, 04:54:25 PM »
There could be a victim in a fire with a BMI of anything 40 plus and you would have to drag them out. (emphasise drag)

PF_

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 06:00:23 PM »
you got a point there but also a lot of overweight BMI people are unfit to carry out firefighter tasks, there are a few that can probably but we cant have grossly obese people in structure fires as they can be dangerous to themselves and other.  But yeah there are exceptions.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 06:46:15 PM »
Really its there for the safety of the firefighter and his collegues...you dont want you or your partner to go down when your in there.

Having said that...how many skinny people does it take to drag a fat guy out?

lol
Compton CFS Website

Toast

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 07:20:46 PM »
Every brigade should have atleast two BA sets, with BA becoming almost 'basic' training. The problem is the bottle neck of getting people on the courses...

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 08:44:16 PM »
SA is the only state the use the BMI scale some doctors don't understand it and some doctors don't understand what a CABA they really have no guildline. The other issue is that CFS  make you do a upskill/refresher every 5 years and yet the MFS don't?????. Is it time for a review of the medicalI? I agree there needs to be some sort of medical and to what level I am not sure. I have seen on some CABA courses members who would be well under weight and in two cases have seen these members not able to get up and do the door entry with a full set on.....

Manuel

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 09:37:19 PM »
well if they do, i guess it is, let the filtered burn

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 09:49:02 PM »
MFS do still do a refresher, hazmat or BA every year. (retained anyway)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 12:03:50 AM »
Our two that did the medical the other day said there were parts to the medical that were for scuba diving and had nothing to do with BA. :|
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 12:13:29 AM »
a) Can the fire fighter drag a person up a flight of stairs? yes/no
b) Can the fire fighter see well enough to be able to find a burning house? yes/no
c) Can the fire fighter fight off a 4 metre shark? yes/no

Toast

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 02:54:12 AM »
a) Can the fire fighter drag a person up a flight of stairs? yes/no
b) Can the fire fighter see well enough to be able to find a burning house? yes/no
c) Can the fire fighter fight off a 4 metre shark? yes/no
Good god man! Haven't you ever been to the Stirling Shark Aquarium? YOU NEED TO GET OUT MORE!

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 06:30:43 PM »
Just for interest here is a photo off of the local paper from saturdays fire
Compton CFS Website

pumprescue

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 09:05:37 PM »
The CFS had to put a figure for BMI in, they cant just allow some people to go over, what would be the point of having a bench mark.

Toast

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2006, 11:49:37 PM »
The CFS had to put a figure for BMI in, they cant just allow some people to go over, what would be the point of having a bench mark.

Because you can be fitter than anyone, a ball of muscle, yet way over the BMI...

PF_

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 07:54:58 AM »
CFS'BMI is quite high and to be over it you need to fairly heavy to height ratio, I think all football players who are classified as heavy in BMI would come under the CFS BMI limit of 30 though.  Anyway is there a black and white yes or no if you are over 30, if you were built like a football player and quite obviosuly strong and fit they might let you in howveer if you were a normal person who was obese and over the limit it might be different.*

*That is not truth or fact, I am just speculating and could very well and probably be wrong.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 05:13:32 PM »
Well our two firies who missed their re-accred course the other weekend got a phone call the other day that by the time they do the one in october they would have to do the full course again. They politely told the person from region where they could stick it and said they wouldn't do the whole course again. Our GTO got hold of the R1 TO and all sorted now they don't have to do the full couse just the re-accred so all is happy again now.

I just think its silly that the CFS is willing to sacrifice experienced BA operators because they were going to be 2weeks out of date and make them do the whole course again.

But this is my opinion and i'm sure some will disagree :-D
Lt. Goolwa CFS

anything