Author Topic: Delays between MFS calling out CFS  (Read 25549 times)

Timbo

Re: Delays between MFS calling out CFS
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 04:04:57 PM »
oz_fire, where are we the lead agency for CFB? In SA?
I'm tipping beyond SA - When I did Compartment, i was trained by NSWRFS (With CFS TA's) - they had just done the Compartment TA course, so they can head back to NSW and implement CFS systems

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2006, 04:05:56 PM »
lead in training in SA and last I was at Brukunga was told we have staff leading the training in NT, WA and Vic, plus still working closely with Qld and NSW
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2006, 09:04:30 PM »

correct me if im wrong, but all of australia i believe...

we have national and international visitors come to play fairly often

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2006, 10:49:35 PM »
Wasnt it Queensland that taught us?

Ath what sort of wildfire training does the MFS do?

Maybe i am being a bit stupid thinking MFS wouldnt be able to protect themselves in a burnover any fire fighter should have a basic understanding of how to protect themselves.

But like Ath said the MFS cant & shouldnt leave the roads and although it happens they should be very careful about doing it because i know none of us want to have to fish them out of a burnt truck!  In the end we both provide the same service & as long as the community is protected who cares.

Each service should give each other the respect they deserve (which generally happens & its only a few bad apples that spoil it) & work together rather then stirring the scheiße like we seem to!
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2006, 10:55:29 PM »
MFS do the CFS suppress wildfire module from BFF1.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2006, 12:20:56 AM »
It can happen on the bitumen too just look at all the burnt out Scanias from the Canberra fires.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

rescue5271

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2006, 06:34:19 AM »
Yes those appliances in teh ACT did burn well most of the appliances fires where due to hydraulic brake lines failing or over heating. I have a nice Video of teh ACT fire's and one that could be used for AIIMS or strike team leader training....

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2006, 10:59:25 AM »
Yes those appliances in teh ACT did burn well most of the appliances fires where due to hydraulic brake lines failing or over heating. I have a nice Video of teh ACT fire's and one that could be used for AIIMS or strike team leader training....

Not at the moment you dont  :wink:
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline rusty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2006, 12:47:09 PM »
I take it that most of the delays you speak of are in Country MFS Command areas. Boundary areas in Adelaide are now better catered for using dual response software programming. Country area are a bit harder to cater for, for a couple of reasons... Firstly a lot of country roads have not made it into the MFS database yet...an issue to be followed up. (So, for example, if a call is received for a call just out of Renmark the operator might enter "Renmark MFS, Renmark" into the system as no other detail is available). Secondly, most CFS Brigades that adjoin MFS Country Stations don't have a callsign in the MFS database (except say Mt Gambier Group, Kadina & Kapunda...maybe one or two others). If they all get together they can arrange dual response for boundary roads, certain areas on either side of the boundary, and be responded simultaneously.. It's really not hard, but it will be a big job and will take time to coordinate. Currently, once the call has been dispatched by MFS Comcen, the onus is on the local MFS station to ensure the notification of the CFS should the call be found to be in CFS or dual response area.

Hope this explains a few of the shortcomings.
Bring on SACAD.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2006, 04:42:06 PM »
I think the point is why is Pt Lincoln MFS responding to a tree/grass fire 30km north of the port and then taking 10 minutes to call CFS. Thats an issue worth looking at as it's covered by 2 or more CFS brigades???
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2006, 10:36:24 PM »
Yes those appliances in the ACT did burn well most of the appliances fires where due to hydraulic brake lines failing or over heating. I have a nice Video of the ACT fire's and one that could be used for AIIMS or strike team leader training....

To clarify Blinky.. the ACT Scanias which caught alight was due to a design fault with the air intake on the Scania's which Christie Downs 431 also suffered the same fate at a call at Lonsdale, but not to the extent of a major fire in the appliance.Embers were being sucked into the intake due to not having a microscreen filter to block it,casuing a fire.

This has now been rectified across Australia.
They were lucky it only got towed away not put in the graveyard :wink:

There is a photo of that somewhere
Images are copyright

rescue5271

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2006, 09:42:09 AM »
the video that I have ,well cam has it at the moment is very good,and from what is said and done the appliances lost power due to brakes locking on and then caught fire for what ever reason.. back on topic, SACAD is only as good as the information that is put into it and the information the call taker takes from the caller.. You may and I mean may still have some delays as is the case in some country areas of Victoria till the whole state comes on line... But in the long run SACAD will bring SA into a better way of responding appliances across the sate and across the services...

Offline rusty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2006, 04:46:23 PM »
I think the point is why is Pt Lincoln MFS responding to a tree/grass fire 30km north of the port and then taking 10 minutes to call CFS. Thats an issue worth looking at as it's covered by 2 or more CFS brigades???

Well, that one just seems crazy...a distinct lack of common sense on that one I think. :oops: I would have thought that CFS should have been called by MFS Comms in the first instance.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2006, 05:00:38 PM »
You can only repond resources by the information you receive from the caller. If the caller says it is near the blah blah motel in Mt Gambier and comms know which road thats its on but not exactly how far out then they have to go by what they know. It is then up to the locals to repond other resources if necesarry. The tree fire at Lincoln didnt actually say on the initial page how far out it was. Hopefully the new cad system will iron out some of these issues. Although I am not 100% sure how the cad actually works.

Offline fire fighter kiki

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2006, 07:02:26 PM »
I was at a fire the other night we had MFS come out and help us as we needed the water supply, any way some people off of our crew were working on the MFS unit and some of the MFS crew were working off of our unit and now working with them the way we did has changed my mind about the MFS alot. Basically the only difference is they get paid and we don't, theres probably a few more differences but there petty little things.  :-D  :-) But they don't call us out when they should but we will work every thing out one day it wont happen over night but it will happen

Toast

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2006, 07:20:30 PM »
Mind you, CFS doesnt call on MFS nearly as much as we should either.

Offline fire fighter kiki

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2006, 07:34:56 PM »
Toast it really depends on what group you are from our group is calling them in most of the time always have and always will. Any way MFS ain't allowed off of the bitumen unless they use their 14.

Offline Scania_1

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2006, 08:11:12 PM »
Where do you hail from fire fighter kiki

rescue5271

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2006, 08:17:16 PM »
It gets back to team work.... or in this case service team work

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2006, 12:01:54 AM »
Teamwork without politics helps :-D
Images are copyright

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2006, 09:19:21 AM »
The tree fire at Lincoln didnt actually say on the initial page how far out it was.

yes it did...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2006, 10:02:17 AM »
I thought so but didn't say anything because i couldn't remember if it did or not  :-D
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2006, 10:21:16 AM »
i recall lookign at it and thinking "what the hey?"

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2006, 10:29:03 AM »
There were probably three CFS brigades who were closer to the tree fire, than Lincoln MFS....  :cry:

On a slightly different topics, firefighter kiki mentions that working with the MFS wasn't so bad, the two services worked together well etc etc...that is good to hear...it is a pity that so many on this forum publicly bag both the MFS and SES, without having ever worked with them.

While in every service, (CFS included) you will always find a few people who are a pain to work with (or impossible to work with) however the bulk of people are good to work with.

MFS & SES members, and perhaps even members of the public / interstate services reading through this forum must wonder about the relationship between CFS and other service - I am sure the perception amongst many, from reading this forum, is that CFS as a whole hates MFS and SES, and that MFS & SES are just a bunch of arrogant idiots, according to CFS.  

This of course is far from the truth - but when anyone challenges the negative comments about other services, the standard answer from those posting the comments is "we were only joking"

CFS has tried hard in recent times to show ourselves as a professional service, with members who behave in a professional manner.  Publicly bagging other services is definately not professional.

Obviously there are genuine issues that arise between the services - delays in responding relevant services is one of those, - which can be discussed, without the discussion ending up as a bag MFS session.

Perhaps a little professionalism from some posters could be quite helpful, rather than the dribble that has been coming out lately.

Pip
Getting off soap box now
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2006, 10:50:47 AM »

you're quite correct of course (I cringe when I think of the general public reading this site and what they must think about the CFS).  Every so often someone posts something like you just have, but while the moderators put their effort into filtering out words like h-e-l-l instead of actually moderating the forums (you know, deleting off topic rubbish in the non-off topic forums, deleting inflamatory or offensive posts) it will always end up like a school playground.

anything